header pic

Perhaps the BEST B1G Forum anywhere, here at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: #15 Michigan State (1-1) at Arizona State (1-1) Post Game

(Read 8221 times)

MrNubbz

• Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
Re: #15 Michigan State (1-0) at Arizona State (1-0) Game Week
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2018, 12:52:11 PM »
Arizona State is apparently 9-0 all time in true home games against Big Ten teams.  Yikes!
9-1 would still be impressive
Suburbia:Where they tear out the trees & then name streets after them.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2018, 01:02:51 PM »
not touching this game

Go Sparty!
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

MrNubbz

• Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2018, 01:29:04 PM »
not touching this game

Go Sparty!
Who said I was touching this Game?Not that there's anything wrong with that,illegal perhaps but not wrong!
Suburbia:Where they tear out the trees & then name streets after them.

DevilFroggy

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2018, 02:26:28 PM »
ASU now has two starting OL listed as questionable
Just one starter is questionable, but the problem is so is his immediate backup.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 04:44:05 PM by DevilFroggy »
I thought I settled my debts that night on the ride home
But I have still got hell to pay

medinabuckeye1

• Legend
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2018, 04:15:56 PM »
will ASU finish the season ranked? That's the real question.

Because MSU is 2-11 since 2007 on the road vs opponents that finished the season ranked. Those two wins came in 2015- vs Michigan on the flukiest play with 8 seconds left in a game that I think I've ever seen- and vs Ohio State that year in a game where Zeke only got 10 carries.

Pretty interesting stat. For all the stuff we've heard about Michigan's record vs ranked opponents on the road since 2007- aside from OSU- the rest of the B1G ain't looking much better in that same timespan. MSU, 2-11. Wisconsin, 0-12. Penn State, 3-15.

So if you think ASU will finish the season ranked in the top 25, history tells you MSU will probably lose.
Yeah, teams whoa lose home games tend not to wind up ranked.
I was thinking the same thing that ELA said.  There can't be more than a handful of teams that have a winning record on the road against teams that finished ranked.  

Temp430

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2018, 06:13:49 AM »
PAC12 road game curse continues. 
A decade of Victory over Penn State.

All in since 1969

DevilFroggy

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
Re: #15 Michigan State (1-1) at Arizona State (1-1) Post Game
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2018, 02:10:29 PM »
I knew when he committed to the Spartans that Lewerke would end up being a solid QB for MSU, and he has only proved me right. The heat definitely got to MSU, can't deny that at all but a lot of credit belongs to our OC for those 13 points ASU pulled off in the 4th quarter as he started calling more plays from a 10 personnel (1 RB no TE) instead of 11 (1 RB 1 TE) and saw much greater results because of it. That key 3rd and 8 ASU converted with about 5 minutes left in the game where Wilkins hit our RB in the flat and he took it 25 yards was a super savvy call.

As for MSU they still impressed me. That defense is solid, especially the DL. Lewerke and those WRs will be a problem for everyone they face especially if they can't bring pressure consistently.

And the Spartans can at least take solace knowing they will most likely kick our ass next year in East Lansing (doesn't help we lose some key OL, our QB and top WR).  

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2018, 03:00:53 PM »
I think the secondary played better than I expected, against arguably the best NFL WR prospect, and without out top CB.

The problem was the front seven generated exactly zero pass rush.

DevilFroggy

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2018, 03:22:00 PM »
MSU bracketing Harry most of the night definitely limited the number of throws his direction, which was a smart strategy but our #2 WR Kyle Williams was a beneficiary as he had over 100 yards receiving. 

And while our QB was only sacked twice I wouldn't say MSU didn't generate any pass rush. Especially in the first 3 quarters before fatigue was setting in the pocket collapsed on Wilkins quite a few times, he was just savvy enough to feel it and know exactly where to maneuver to still make a throw.  

TresselownsUM

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2018, 04:33:08 PM »
I didn't watch because I was asleep, but looking at the box score it would appear MSU is struggling to run the ball. 

Is the O line struggling? I guess I just expected more from LJ Scott this season, and I thought MSU would be more balanced . 

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2018, 01:12:50 PM »
MSU sure ain't messing around with discipline now.  This is the reason for starting LB Tyriq Thompson's one game suspension, and why he didn't play against Arizona State

https://twitter.com/mwenzel2/status/1040274839309877248

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2018, 01:14:57 PM »
I didn't watch because I was asleep, but looking at the box score it would appear MSU is struggling to run the ball.

Is the O line struggling? I guess I just expected more from LJ Scott this season, and I thought MSU would be more balanced .
The line has struggled immensely.  Their starting LT has missed the first two games, and the lone spot they had to replace a starter from a year ago, center, has been a complete disaster.  They've been rotating guys through, and they've all been awful there.

Mdot21

• Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2018, 03:59:03 PM »
The line has struggled immensely.  Their starting LT has missed the first two games, and the lone spot they had to replace a starter from a year ago, center, has been a complete disaster.  They've been rotating guys through, and they've all been awful there.
Lewerke is a really good QB. Michigan State has some good backs and really good WR's as well. Just goes to show you (a) how hard it is to play on the road at night and (b) doesn't matter how good the QB and skill players are- if they O-line isn't doing jack you're gonna struggle to score points.

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2018, 07:26:18 PM »
Lewerke is a really good QB. Michigan State has some good backs and really good WR's as well. Just goes to show you (a) how hard it is to play on the road at night and (b) doesn't matter how good the QB and skill players are- if they O-line isn't doing jack you're gonna struggle to score points.
Not sold on the backs. Scott has regressed, the other guys are ok, but nothing special.  Tight ends have underwhelmed for on every post CFP team.  Lewerke and the WRs have been fine to good, but the rest of the offense has been awful.

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.