header pic

Perhaps the BEST B1G Forum anywhere, here at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Happy Thanksgiving

(Read 11851 times)

betarhoalphadelta

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Re: Happy Thanksgiving
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2018, 06:15:54 PM »
160°F is a kind of magical temperature for most pathogens.  There are some strange thermophiles that survive  boiling water, but they are, well, strange, and rare.

I used to do a lot of work on composting and when done right (which is rare), the stuff hits 160°F at max T and then cools off again because the stuff dies.

And 165°F adds a Marge N. Overa in case part of the bird isn't at that T.

It's (160°F) also 71°C, which is handy to know if you ever find yourself in the rest of the world.

Our oven is new to me, I've rarely used it, it has convection settings, but I'm just not sure it's at the indicated T.  The wife is redoing the kitchen and we're replacing it with a Bosch inductive stove which should be more reliable.
160 isn't really special. 130 or so is the key temp for most food-borne pathogens that really have the potential to impact humans. Above that temp, the pathogens of highest interest start to die.
Note the bold. That's when they start to die. At that temp, it will take a LONG time to kill enough of the pathogens to actually keep you safe. At 160, they'll die basically instantly.
A good reference is here: http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html#Safety_Summary
This is the key with sous vide. By tightly controlling temperature and time, you can get safe food at lower temperatures than what is typically suggested (160 for poultry) by increasing time. 
The issue is that in an oven, this is hard to do. Water [in a sous vide bath] transmits heat to food extremely well. Air, however, does not do so very well at all. So in an oven, it's really hard to know exactly what temp all parts of the bird are at and be sure they're at that temp long enough to be safe. So the "easy" answer is to just make sure you hit 160+.
But 160 is not some magic temp. It's just the temp at which the pathogens are being killed so quickly that you can assume that if you've hit that temp, they're ALL dead. 

Cincydawg

• Oracle of Piedmont Park
  • Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2018, 06:37:08 PM »
Well, I think 160°F is a magical temperature.

I just hope never to experience it.

MrNubbz

• Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2018, 06:43:10 PM »
What sushi,steak tartare?
Suburbia:Where they tear out the trees & then name streets after them.

Cincydawg

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2018, 07:10:51 PM »
The wife is big on steak tartare.

With raw egg, etc.  

I've had it, but prefer my beef cooked.

MarqHusker

• Team Captain
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2018, 09:14:59 PM »
I definitely eat beef, veal, duck, lamb under 140, not to mention the former (raw).   There's also nothing wrong with a little pink in your pork.  I just don't mess around with chicken or turkey.

Cincydawg

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2018, 07:32:02 AM »
The wife likes most things "blu rare", which even some steak houses struggle to cook properly.  I struggle at times at home.

The tartare thing is "OK" to me but not worth the risk.  Raw hamburger has almost no flavor on its own and its just the additives that one tastes, in my book.

I like med rare to rare on my steaks, leaning to rare for top cuts of meat.  

Oddly, she likes her lamb more medium.  In France I don't recall that they ask how you want lamb cooked.  I've never had a decent steak in France, ever, I quit ordering beef.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2018, 10:31:53 AM »
The wife likes most things "blu rare", which even some steak houses struggle to cook properly.  I struggle at times at home.

The tartare thing is "OK" to me but not worth the risk.  Raw hamburger has almost no flavor on its own and its just the additives that one tastes, in my book.

I like med rare to rare on my steaks, leaning to rare for top cuts of meat.  

Oddly, she likes her lamb more medium.  In France I don't recall that they ask how you want lamb cooked.  I've never had a decent steak in France, ever, I quit ordering beef.

Their local/regional beef is terrible.  The only edible stuff is imported from South America and it is extremely cost prohibitive.  The cheaper cuts are okay when used in braised dishes like beef bourguignon, but steaks are pretty much out of the question. 

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2018, 11:35:30 AM »
don't move there
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2018, 11:35:52 AM »
starting the process of the Alton Brown Good Eats Roast Turkey
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2018, 11:45:30 AM »
Just pulled mine from the brine, it'll dry overnight in the fridge, then I'll throw it on the smoke tomorrow morning.

Cincydawg

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2018, 12:10:51 PM »
don't move there
Their other food items tend to be quite good, in the main.
Restaurant rarely (never?) have pork on the menu, outside Alsace.  The wife says pork is considered to be "cheap".  I don't see chicken that often either.
A typical menu would feature seafood, a lot of types, lamb, a braised beef dish, duck "confit or other", maybe some other bird.
My step son in law has a BIG Thanksgiving dinner every year for about 25 people.  He gets two turkeys.  We were there last year, each bird was over 70 Euros.
He was CIA trained but he goes to enormous effort on this dinner.  I didn't think it was worth it personally, nor did the wife.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2018, 12:18:35 PM »
I enjoy other food items besides beef, but I'm addicted to large slabs of beef steak and beef ribs

probably be a nice place to visit

Cincydawg

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2018, 12:21:29 PM »
I like France more than the wife does, I think.  

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2018, 12:40:44 PM »
I like Texas more than my brother does, I think

but, he lives there

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.