Topic: Name Your Three Favorite Beers.

(Read 42308 times)

MichiFan87

• Player
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
Re: Name Your Three Favorite Beers.
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2017, 05:51:34 PM »
I see the topics got merged, which is appreciated. To update my previous post....

...Some additional good breweries and bars in Chicago include Burnt City, Dovetail, Laschet's / Resi's Bierstube (German beers), The Globe Pub, Corridor Brewing, and the Long Room.
“When your team is winning, be ready to be tough, because winning can make you soft. On the other hand, when your team is losing, stick by them. Keep believing”
― Bo Schembechler

betarhoalphadelta

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2017, 05:58:38 PM »
I'm planning on brewing my Oktoberfest on Saturday Aug 12, but I really need to get a brewday in before that. So I'm going to brew a clone of RR Blind Pig IPA tomorrow evening.

Based on this recipe, but for a 10 gallon rather than 5 gallon batch.

Riffraft

• Starter
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2017, 06:08:28 PM »
The beer I have been drinking lately is Four Peaks' Kiltlifter.

iahawk15

• Player
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2017, 08:25:44 AM »
BTW [member=19]bwarbiany[/member], my neighbors and I just bought a home brew setup and we're doing our first batch Saturday. We're going to get a couple extracts under our belt before diving into all grain.

betarhoalphadelta

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2017, 01:25:10 PM »
BTW [member=19]bwarbiany[/member], my neighbors and I just bought a home brew setup and we're doing our first batch Saturday. We're going to get a couple extracts under our belt before diving into all grain.

Awesome, good for you!

Homebrewtalk.com is a great forum and resource.

My top three tips (outside of sanitation, because that should be #0!)

1: Yeast health. Make a starter with liquid, or use dry yeast. Most of what you do on "brew day" can be screwed up, but as long as you have healthy happy yeast, they'll do their job well. That means you need enough yeast to start out that they're not stressed during fermentation, because that will lead to off flavors. So make sure you have enough yeast!

2: Fermentation temperature. Again, this is about keeping your yeast happy. However you have to do it, try to maintain fermentation temperatures in the 60-70 degree range for most ales. Note: that's *beer* temp, not ambient. Fermentation generates heat, so having one of those stick-on thermometers on your fermenter will tell you what the actual temp is. There are tons of ways to control temp (some are very cheap, i.e. putting the fermenter in a tub with water and rotate frozen water bottles to keep the temp in range), but this is one of the most important things I can stress about brewing delicious beer.

3: Water. This is less important since you're starting with extract, but the ENEMY in either extract or all-grain is chlorine/chloramine. If you don't know anything about your water, go buy distilled or spring water. If that's not an option, buy campden tablets, which will neutralize chlorine/chloramine in the water immediately. Frankly if your tap water tastes good, it's ok to brew with, but only after handling chlorine/chloramine. That will ruin your beer.

BTW if your beer kit instructions say to do a 1-week primary, 2-week secondary, etc. you can ignore that. No reason to use a secondary for most beers. Just keep it in primary 2-3 weeks, then bottle.

iahawk15

• Player
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2017, 05:54:49 PM »
^ Thanks for the tips.

Our group is currently having a lively discussion on temperature control methods (and $$$ involved).
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 06:40:21 PM by iahawk15 »

betarhoalphadelta

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2017, 06:42:16 PM »
^ Thanks for the tips.

Our group is currently having a lively discussion on temperature control methods (and $$$ involved).

All depends on who you put in charge of it... And how much you trust that individual!

The less you trust, the more $$$ you should spend lol

MrNubbz

• Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2017, 10:31:11 AM »

This nugget from Cliff Clavin

Well ya see, Norm, it’s like this… A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know, kills brain cells. But naturally it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That’s why you always feel smarter after a few beers.”
Suburbia:Where they tear out the trees & then name streets after them.

VolFanbyMarriage

• Walk On
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2017, 01:26:56 AM »
Stone Ruination
Arrogant Bastard
Left Hand Milk Stout Nitro

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: August 07, 2017, 04:05:19 PM »
I'm cool with only having one thread and it being in the OT section.  Clearly, more people are participating in it here, than over on the B12 board.

Just got back from a long weekend on the Texas coast, so I drank a lot of

1) Pacifico Clara
2) Bohemia
3) Modelo Especial

And margaritas.  Lots and lots of margaritas.

rolltidefan2

• Global Moderator
  • Walk On
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2017, 10:58:11 AM »
Just found Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale.  Immediately moved to the top of my list.

Also like Andy Gator from Abita.

Kroger actually makes a beer (assuming that since I've only ever found it there) called Tap Room 21.  I like the Copper Lager version.

In the summer I like Blue Moon's Honey wheat Sumner ale

For mass quantities I'll choke down Budweiser and Coors Light

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2017, 06:34:26 PM »
Ya know, I've tried a few, and I do not absolutely loathe the New England style "hazy" IPAs.

SeattLion

• Recruit
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2017, 01:32:31 PM »
1. Yuengling
2. Pyramid Hefeweizen
3. Alaskan Amber

betarhoalphadelta

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2017, 01:47:02 PM »
Ya know, I've tried a few, and I do not absolutely loathe the New England style "hazy" IPAs.

There's a reason for that. The trend in IPAs has been to be hoppy, but not bitter. The NEIPA style is really all about this (and the haze, which is a fad IMHO). They put a LOT of hops in, but all at the very end of the boil where they get big aroma and flavor but NOT a lot of bitterness. To extract bitterness, you need to boil the hops for an extended period of time.

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.