header pic

College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!! The Best FREE College Football Forum on the Internet!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Name Your Three Favorite Beers.

(Read 8666 times)

bwarbiany

• Starter
  • Liked:
Re: Name Your Three Favorite Beers.
« Reply #60 on: August 24, 2017, 01:17:17 PM »
Apparently Pilsner is making a big comeback. Which is funny to me, as all the people who used to be Stone Brewing fanboys (the company that said "fizzy yellow beer is for wussies") are now drinking Pilsners. Heck, Stone (who bifurcated their brands and have a sub-brand now of "Arrogant Brewing") has released a pilsner called "Who you callin' wussie"...

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Starter
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: August 24, 2017, 01:21:08 PM »
Pilsners and pale lagers in general are hugely popular down here in Texico, such great beers for the heat.  But I don't have to tell you how difficult they are to brew and get consistently clean results.

I thought the Arrogant Stone fanbois were all drinking sours now?  Or was that last year... ;)

bwarbiany

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: August 24, 2017, 01:40:32 PM »
Pilsners and pale lagers in general are hugely popular down here in Texico, such great beers for the heat.  But I don't have to tell you how difficult they are to brew and get consistently clean results.

I'm about to find out. I'm brewing my first pilsner on Saturday.  :singing:

I thought the Arrogant Stone fanbois were all drinking sours now?  Or was that last year... ;)

Sours were 2015 or so... Then session IPA. Now NEIPA and lagers. At least I think that's how it went lol.

But hell, I'm deeply into this world and I can't even keep up. I just drink and brew what I like.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Starter
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: August 24, 2017, 03:19:50 PM »
Good luck on your first pilsner, then!  My friend who is the owner of Live Oak Brewing (oldest craft brewery in Austin proper), tells me that Budweiser is the greatest brewery in the world.  Not because they make good beer, they do not.  But because pilsners are among the toughest beers in the world to make cleanly and consistently, and they do it perfectly. 

Anyway though, the nice thing about homebrewing is that you can always drink your mistakes and start over.

bwarbiany

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: August 24, 2017, 04:11:38 PM »
Good luck on your first pilsner, then!  My friend who is the owner of Live Oak Brewing (oldest craft brewery in Austin proper), tells me that Budweiser is the greatest brewery in the world.  Not because they make good beer, they do not.  But because pilsners are among the toughest beers in the world to make cleanly and consistently, and they do it perfectly. 

Anyway though, the nice thing about homebrewing is that you can always drink your mistakes and start over.

At least with 10+ years of experience brewing, I don't have too many mistakes. I'm pretty sure I'll make a respectable pilsner, and even if it's not *perfect*, it should still be pretty good.

But yes, Budweiser brews the same beer at multiple breweries all over the country, does so through variable barley yields, variable hop farming years, with different starting water at each brewery. And it tastes exactly the same every time. That's freaking impressive. Even if I make a good pilsner Saturday, and a good pilsner the next time I make one, they most assuredly won't be identical. I can brew, but I'm not that good lol.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Starter
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: August 25, 2017, 10:45:31 AM »
At least with 10+ years of experience brewing, I don't have too many mistakes.

That's great, kid... don't get cocky.

;)

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Starter
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: August 25, 2017, 10:48:35 AM »
Looking at a pretty stormy and rainy next 3-4 days here in the ATX.  I've stocked up on many, many beers to ride it out.  And since it's going to be "cooler" (you can read that as "something less than 100 degrees"), I've decided to focus on darker beers.

So I now have in my beer fridge:

12-pack of Celis Pale Bock
12-pack of Live Oak Big Bark (Vienna lager)
12-pack of Leffe Brune
4 Maredsous Brune

And then a bunch  of random pilsners and Mexican lagers leftover from "summer." 

I'm ready for this hurricane!  :)

MrNubbz

• Starter
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: August 26, 2017, 07:56:14 AM »
At least with 10+ years of experience brewing, I don't have too many mistakes. I'm pretty sure I'll make a respectable pilsner, and even if it's not *perfect*, it should still be pretty good.

Send some to me I'll be your Lab Rat - kinda guy I am
"The problem with the Rat Race is,even if you win you're still just a Rat" - Lily Tomlin

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Starter
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: September 15, 2017, 01:12:19 PM »
Man, some weak beer-drinking going on around here.

I'll name my top three for today:

1) Ayinger Oktober Fest - Marzen
2) Hacker Pschorr Original Oktoberfest
3) Paulaner Oktoberfest Bier

MarqHusker

• Starter
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: September 18, 2017, 10:32:33 PM »

But yes, Budweiser brews the same beer at multiple breweries all over the country, does so through variable barley yields, variable hop farming years, with different starting water at each brewery. And it tastes exactly the same every time. That's freaking impressive. Even if I make a good pilsner Saturday, and a good pilsner the next time I make one, they most assuredly won't be identical. I can brew, but I'm not that good lol.
I was with (my brother who is in the biz) some guys who have worked at macro, and now do their own thing.  A guy that was with us was asking him about why micros don't brew much in the way of pilsners and other more mainstream styles.  His answer was along your lines.  He spun it around saying how we all (the micros) get to hide our flaws in our Ales and so forth.  He talked about the variances that even high quality micros have from batch to batch.  There's no hiding flaws in a light beer.   The Miller/Buds of the world are masters of their craft.    They understand water and the science better than anybody in the world, and thus have figured out how to control all of the variables.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Starter
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: September 19, 2017, 12:07:32 PM »
Exactly.  I've heard that terminology as well-- ales and even dark lagers are better able to hide the flaws.  With lighter lagers, there's just nowhere to hide.

Which is why I really love beers like Live Oak Pilz.  It's absolutely delicious and flavorful in a way that American macro pilsners aren't and don't attempt to be.  It tastes every bit as good as the Czech pilsners did fresh at their breweries when I visited the Czech Republic some years ago.  It's an incredibly difficult beer to brew well, and consistently.  And of course living in Texico, it's pretty much a year-round brew for us.

So bwar, when will your pilsner be ready for consumption?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 12:10:09 PM by utee94 »

bwarbiany

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: September 19, 2017, 12:14:52 PM »

So bwar, when will your pilsner be ready for consumption?
It's going into the keg this weekend. It will mostly sit lagering from then until my Oktoberfest party on 10/7.
This weekend I'll be brewing a hefeweizen to turn around quickly. So my lineup for the party will be:
Oktoberfestbier
Pilsner
Hefeweizen
Blood Orange Blonde
Piggy Beer IPA (clone of Russian River Blind Pig IPA)

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Starter
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: September 19, 2017, 03:02:00 PM »
Sounds like a nice tap list. I'll await my invitation eagerly. :)

MrNubbz

• Starter
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: September 22, 2017, 09:33:58 AM »
Man, some weak beer-drinking going on around here.

I'll name my top three for today:

1) Ayinger Oktober Fest - Marzen
2) Hacker Pschorr Original Oktoberfest
3) Paulaner Oktoberfest Bier

Really can't go wrong with those teutonic taste treats.Are those just seasonal?I've had them all at one time or another.Here I am suffering with Great Lakes Oktoberfest offerings
"The problem with the Rat Race is,even if you win you're still just a Rat" - Lily Tomlin

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Starter
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: September 22, 2017, 11:56:38 AM »
Yeah, they're seasonal for sure.  But all of those breweries offer bocks and most of them offer doppelbocks, so if you want malty German goodness outside the Autumn months, there are always options.

Today I'll go local, my three favorite beers are:

1) Oaktoberfest - Live Oak Brewing, Austin, Texas
2) Oktoberfest -  Saint Arnold Brewing, Houston, Texas
3) Montecore Oktoberfest - Austin Beerworks, Austin, Texas

bwarbiany

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: October 09, 2017, 03:57:23 PM »
I know this isn't a good recommendation for utee, but I've been enjoying Firestone Walker's Luponic Distortion lately. It's been available in 6-packs at my local Costco so I've been grabbing it regularly.

A local brewery here called Barley Forge is also quite good. I don't know how far their distribution goes, but if you happen to see them anywhere, give it a try. Their "Grandpa Tractor" Dortmunder lager would even please utee lol... @MarqHusker , you should be able to find some of this easily when you're driving through SoCal...

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Starter
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: October 09, 2017, 07:13:24 PM »
I know this isn't a good recommendation for utee, but I've been enjoying Firestone Walker's Luponic Distortion lately. It's been available in 6-packs at my local Costco so I've been grabbing it regularly.

A local brewery here called Barley Forge is also quite good. I don't know how far their distribution goes, but if you happen to see them anywhere, give it a try. Their "Grandpa Tractor" Dortmunder lager would even please utee lol... @MarqHusker , you should be able to find some of this easily when you're driving through SoCal...
Ha! Described as "an ever-evolving mix of experimental hops."  Definitely gonna be a hard pass from me. :)

But a Dortmunder lager would certainly be interesting.

MarqHusker

• Starter
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: November 10, 2017, 08:45:31 PM »
So while on my trip to the Breeders' Cup last weekend, I stopped at one liquor/convenience store in suburban LA, and within 30 seconds I was able to see, grab and purchase
Alaska Brewing Co. 'Smoked Porter' which was a 2008, amazing
RR's: Supplication and Consecration  

That was  the highest quality single visit beer purchase I've ever made.

bwarbiany

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: November 13, 2017, 03:53:45 PM »
So while on my trip to the Breeders' Cup last weekend, I stopped at one liquor/convenience store in suburban LA, and within 30 seconds I was able to see, grab and purchase
Alaska Brewing Co. 'Smoked Porter' which was a 2008, amazing
RR's: Supplication and Consecration  

That was  the highest quality single visit beer purchase I've ever made.
Clearly I dropped the ball on my travel tips... I didn't even think to send you to Hi Time... Possibly the best bottle shop in Orange County. 

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Starter
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: November 29, 2017, 02:23:12 PM »
So the Celis Brewery has reopened in Austin, using the original recipes and mostly original branding from when they first started in the early 90s.  And now they've finally brought back their Celis Grand Cru which is a Belgian tripel.  Oh my it's so delicious.  So right now my three favorites are:

Celis Grand Cru (Belgian tripel)
Live Oak Primus (Weizenbock)
512 Pecan Porter

bwarbiany

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: November 29, 2017, 04:29:20 PM »
About to start my yearly Beervent...

Each year, my homebrew club makes beer advent calendars. Each person brings 12 each of two different beers, so 24 total, and we rearrange all of the beers (we always have at least 12 people join) so each person leaves with a mixed case. 

Then, much like an advent calendar, you open a new one every day from Dec 1 through Dec 24. 

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Starter
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: December 01, 2017, 10:40:26 AM »
That sounds like a darn good deal to me.  Which two have you brewed for this special event?

bwarbiany

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: December 01, 2017, 12:40:53 PM »
Oh, this one is commercial beer... I brought Barley Forge Orange Curtain IPA and Left Hand Nitro Milk Stout for mine...

MrNubbz

• Starter
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: December 19, 2017, 07:13:44 PM »
LH Milk Stoudt is manna.BTW congrats to utee 94.Dec. 2005 he gave birth to the Beer Thread on the CFN Board.Waiting for the Horns to take down Pretty Pete & the Spoiled Children.Oh Happy Day

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Starter
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: December 20, 2017, 09:54:24 AM »
LH Milk Stoudt is manna.BTW congrats to utee 94.Dec. 2005 he gave birth to the Beer Thread on the CFN Board.Waiting for the Horns to take down Pretty Pete & the Spoiled Children.Oh Happy Day
Yeah, those were the days.  Now I'm just praying Texas can eek out a 7-6 season with a win in Mattress Mac's Galleryfurniture.com Bowl.  
Anyway, this week my buddy Bald Greg and I are hitting a different brewery every day, leading up to our annual Liberation Day (last day of work before Christmas break).  On Monday we went to Austin Beerworks.  Yesterday was Oskar Blues (they opened a branch brewery in Austin about 1.5 years ago).  Today we'll be hitting up two-- Hops & Grain AND Zilker Brewing.  Thursday is probably Celis, and we'll finish up Friday with Live Oak Brewing, of course.
Speaking of milk stouts, Zilker makes a really terrific Coffee Milk Stout, not overly done on the coffee so it's just right.  And Celis just brought out a Coffee Belgian Dubbel that is promising based on its predecessor that I tried about a year ago.  

MrNubbz

• Starter
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: December 20, 2017, 03:25:05 PM »
I had 4 Black Out Stouts(11%) yesterday,they only come in 4 packs.Then an Elliot Ness(Vienna Style Lager)didn't really eat and don't remember chit after that

MichiFan87

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: December 21, 2017, 11:31:08 PM »
Just finished big bottles (22-25 oz) that I got from my work secret Santa of 3 Floyds Alpha Klaus (better version of Alpha King) and Goose Island* Bourbon County Stout, while watching Michigan basketball annihilate Alabama A&M.

*Yes, Goose Island is still a sellout, especially with so many other great microbreweries in Chicago, but they still make some good small-batch beers like this.
“When your team is winning, be ready to be tough, because winning can make you soft. On the other hand, when your team is losing, stick by them. Keep believing”
― Bo Schembechler

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Starter
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: December 22, 2017, 09:39:07 AM »
Goose Island is still good.  And I don't have a problem with "selling out" in general, I'm a true believer in pure Market Capitalism after all. :)

The problem I DO have with the macro breweries is that they actively engage in anti-competitive behaviors, like working through lobbyists to obtain extremely tilted anti-craft legislation in their favor, as well as tying up the raw ingredients and commodities in order to force the prices up for their much smaller competitors (or remove their sourcing entirely), even when they don't need those materials and have been known simply to dump them.

Those behaviors are why I typically choose against drinking anything owned by the macros, even if it's one of the craft brands they've bought up over the years. 

bwarbiany

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: January 15, 2018, 03:22:39 PM »
I have a dream. I have a dream that one day, I will check the contents of my grain bin prior to brewing so I don't make an unintentional hoppy wheat ale instead of a blonde. I have a dream that one day this unintentional hoppy wheat ale will be delicious and quaffable, despite the last minute recipe changes. And I have a dream, ladies and gentlemen, that one day we will be judged NOT by the color of our worts, but by the contents of our kegerators!

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Starter
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: January 23, 2018, 10:52:43 AM »
It's a beautiful dream, man!

Please Support Site: