header pic

Perhaps the BEST B1G Forum anywhere, here at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: ESPiN article on Jerry Kill's thoughts on U of M football today

(Read 2571 times)

Anonymous Coward

• All Star
  • Liked:
Re: ESPiN article on Jerry Kill's thoughts on U of M football today
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2019, 11:57:14 AM »
It doesn't look like my opinion will have any allies here, but if you can have a favorable opinion about a famous stranger you don't really know (applies to most opinions about coaches), then I really like Fleck. And for however authentic you can say a famous stranger is or isn't, my sense is that he falls on the more authentic end of the spectrum. What's wrong with intense enthusiasm, anyway? Especially if it was inspired because you had a child who died.
The dude's reputation is a world away (in terms of nastiness) from where it deserves to be, IMO.
He may not look or talk like the cookie cutter leaders of movies or novels, but that's neither a bad thing nor evidence he isn't one of the good ones. And yet that's where the negative opinions about him start, emotional reaction to a stranger whose enthusiasm seems weird.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 12:11:46 PM by Anonymous Coward »

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2019, 08:45:04 PM »
the proof is in the pudding

time will tell
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

Anonymous Coward

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2019, 08:57:16 PM »
No doubt. Not to cop out, but I should say I was never predicting him to be a big winner in MSP. He may be, but that's separate. For this thread, I'm just guessing he's a respectable guy and that his kids are being well led in terms of healthy life perspectives.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2019, 09:16:57 PM »
I really hope you are correct.  I think the more than winning piece is much more important than winning

the life skills part is where I'm concerned it's mostly snake oil

Kill and Claeys speaking against Barnum give me more concern
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

Anonymous Coward

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2019, 10:40:32 PM »
I like Kill (have not formed an opinion about Claeys), but obviously he's more gruff/low key, so I like him for different reasons. But I like him, so his take is worth something. Even then, I'd trust Kill's take more easily if he didn't have a conflicted interest. Here, he and his buddy got burned. I'm not saying he's scheming, but "being bitter" and "not seeing this one clearly" have to all be on the table.

Either way, Fleck did deliver some wins last year that Kill and Claeys never could. It's not much to celebrate, especially if the Gophers canned Glen Mason to go on a long painful journey to an even better program, but beating UW and winning a bowl game has to be some kind of milestone.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2019, 08:39:41 AM »
not seeing this one clearly is possible

if it was shots at the U of M then the bitterness would be expected

this is personal - I don't think it serves much purpose

GopherRock

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2019, 02:16:07 PM »
Plus Kill did the exact same thing when he got here (trashed the culture of the previous administration, shirts that stated I LET MY TEAMMATES DOWN and LOAPHER to flush out weaklings). For him to talk smack about the succeeding coach doing the same thing he did is not only bitter but hypocritical. 

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2019, 02:53:34 PM »
To be fair, he was coming in after Brewster. Of course the culture was in the dumpster.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.