When Your Doctor Asks If You Own a Gun, Say This…
header pic

College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!! The Best FREE College Football Forum on the Internet!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: When Your Doctor Asks If You Own a Gun, Say This…

(Read 110 times)

DunkingDan

• Legend
  • Liked:
When Your Doctor Asks If You Own a Gun, Say This…
« on: February 11, 2019, 08:41:27 PM »

I went to the doctor this morning – nothing urgent, just a checkup for a mid-40s guy who hasn’t been to the doctor in years, but when they gave me that ubiquitous survey about my lifestyle (Do you smoke? How often do you drink?), I was looking for one particular question:
Do you own a gun in your home?
Doctors are increasingly asking this question, and conservative lawmakers are trying to stop them.
In Florida, Gov. Rick Scott signed a law in 2011 banning doctors from asking about firearms in their patients’ lives, The Washington Post is reporting.
But doctors still think this is a great idea … you know, to protect you from yourself. In a new study,

More at link

President Harry S. Truman said: “The fundamental basis of this nation’s laws was given to Moses on the Mount.  The fundamental basis of our Bill of Rights comes from the teachings…  If we don't have the proper fundamental moral background, we will finally wind up with a totalitarian government which does not believe in rights for anybody except the state.”

gymvol

• All Star
  • Liked:
Re: When Your Doctor Asks If You Own a Gun, Say This…
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 09:23:38 AM »

I would answer  "Why are you now shooting patients you can't cure"?

Cincydawg

• Global Moderator
  • Team Captain
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 09:31:34 AM »
"By the way, that question never was on the questionnaire I filled out."

Are there any reliable statistics on how often this question is being asked?  

TREX

• Global Moderator
  • Starter
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 09:58:41 AM »
Got rid of all my guns years ago.

Cincydawg

• Global Moderator
  • Team Captain
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 10:08:02 AM »
I like how this fellow writes this piece about some alleged "issue" and then at the very end notes he was not asked about his guns.

Make up a problem and then note it doesn't exist?

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 10:13:41 AM »
My doctor asked me. He explained that there is a new requirement that they must ask you about "mental" things. Apparently the gun thing is on the list.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

Cincydawg

• Global Moderator
  • Team Captain
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2019, 10:17:41 AM »
SO, some doctors ask the question, and I presume make a note on your file somewhere, right?

And then what?  What happens if you tell him you have a large arsenal of guns?  Does he report that to someone else?  Sounds like a HIPA violation if he does.

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2019, 10:39:32 AM »
It sounded to me more like just another level of documentation, which may come available if a person were to be found to have a mental illness. It goes nowhere, except your "file" in the doctor's office - I asked. He was not too clear with it, except to say that certain answers might trigger an action such has him recommending consultation with an expert, etc. Other questions I remember were "have you felt depression" or have you felt "angry" or "have you used illicit drugs illegally",  etc. I'm paraphrasing here, because I don't remember everything.

I suppose the information could be subpoenaed, in a special instance?? Good question.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

Drew4UTk

• Administrator
  • All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2019, 10:44:57 AM »
i was asked, too... 

as you can imagine, i kinda follow these things.  the intent is to populate a database connected to your medical records and if you are ever placed on psyche drugs of any sort or treated for mental issues the information about weapons is right there in front of them on the same database- no need to cross reference.  

it's funny, as the same doctor who asked me this also asked me if i wanted lexpro (some psyche medicine i learned after questioning him) and then asserted i should really consider it after his pressing for several minutes finally resulted in me telling him to 'just stop it already'... that bit pissed me off... i'm sure he was promised a vacation or a new car or some shit by the RX company if he 'outsold' other doctors.... which is a major part of the 'problem' with our medical system... 

but that happened to me, first hand... 

Cincydawg

• Global Moderator
  • Team Captain
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2019, 11:23:55 AM »
I used to have a flight medical every two years.  Folks knew of doctors who performed "perfunctory" exams for $90.  They were right popular.

The nurses took you vitals and some pee (you can't be diabetic) and the doc asked some weird questions, not about guns.  Done.

Drew4UTk

• Administrator
  • All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2019, 11:32:27 AM »
this happened to me several years ago... i don't know if the response is in my records so they don't ask anymore, or if it is a practice they've ceased... i can just tell you with certainty that it happened.  

the VA doesn't really care what's going on, and their response is never a lot different than sick call was in the Corps- go in there with a headache? you'll get a bottle of Motrin and an ace bandage on your wrist- maybe a three days light duty chit... go in there with a sucking chest wound? get an ace bandage on your wrist and an bottle of Motrin- maybe a 3 days light duty chit... 

DunkingDan

• Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2019, 12:36:04 PM »
"By the way, that question never was on the questionnaire I filled out."

Are there any reliable statistics on how often this question is being asked?  
Once is to damn much
President Harry S. Truman said: “The fundamental basis of this nation’s laws was given to Moses on the Mount.  The fundamental basis of our Bill of Rights comes from the teachings…  If we don't have the proper fundamental moral background, we will finally wind up with a totalitarian government which does not believe in rights for anybody except the state.”

HK_Vol

• Team Captain
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2019, 05:31:00 PM »
I'd simply ask the doctor a question in response.
"Would you like to go dove hunting when the season opens in September?"

Amazon:
Support the Site:
Please Search Amazon from here!