What hath our schools wrought?
header pic

College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!! The Best FREE College Football Forum on the Internet!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: What hath our schools wrought?

(Read 77 times)

HK_Vol

• Team Captain
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
What hath our schools wrought?
« on: February 09, 2019, 10:29:23 PM »
https://pjmedia.com/instapundit/321193/#respond

HIGHER EDUCATION BUBBLE UPDATE: Now it’s not just rape and skyrocketing tuition to worry about, it’s also soaring rates of mental illness among college students. “We are seeing an epidemic of mental illness on college campuses across the country. According to national data, 40% of undergraduate students have felt so depressed within the past year that it’s been difficult for them to function, 10% have seriously considered suicide, and these numbers are higher than the numbers for kids and young adults of the same age who are not attending college.”

Comments:

johnfembup • 
I hesitated to say this because the subject is serious. But I believe a contributing factor is the steady negative environment of virulent, so-called “progressivism” that has swept over our schools, particularly college campuses but not limited to colleges. That negative teaching, amplified by our negative media, propagandizes young people to fear that the world is going to fry in less than 10 years, that half of all people on earth are male sexual predators, that America is an irredeemably racist nation having no claim to legitimacy and, by the way, that repaying your college loans will likely keep you in debt until you are at least 50. Provided, that is, you can get a job in America’s failed capitalist system. That’s a heavy load for educators and media to dump on young people. Heavy, yes. True? Uh-uh.

Which I think also helps explain why conservatives (the ones I know, and others whose writings I read, anyway) have a generally brighter outlook on life.

I don’t mean to suggest this explains everything. I know from my consulting work that since the 1970s a large share of mental health treatment has gone to adolescents. I suppose the factors causing that then are still present. Also, seniors generally consume a much smaller share of mental health services. This is consistent with the notion that conservatives are generally older, and “progressive’s” generally younger - colleges students, e.g. Yet it’s not all demographics. I still believe that America’s modern, ugly, so-called “progressivism” makes things much worse - and it’s affecting young people disproportionally.

It’s been said that if one is not a liberal thinker when young, she has no heart; but if not conservative by about age 40, she has no brain. (Liberal in the classical sense of the word, not the modern, leftist sense). I think there’s a lot of wisdom in that.

Am I suggesting that our educational system and our media share a large part of the blame for all this? Yes. I am.

Topcat69 the Deplorable   • 
When you are taught that you are a victim and have little or no control over your circumstances, then you are likely to become depressed. Academia and the media are largely to blame for this state of affairs.

Philip Terry   • 
Whites are told they are privileged. Blacks told don't bother. Men are told they are rapists. Women told they will be assaulted. All are told global warming will kill them. All for the low low price of $17,500 per year. A degree many may already know is trendy but worthless.

highVOLtage

• Starter
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
Re: What hath our schools wrought?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 01:31:06 AM »
I think there is something to this, Millennials do seem to be a rather pessimistic generation.
When you hear Democrats like Cory Booker and Occasional-Cortex say the fight against climate change is their WWII, it screams that they have an emptiness in their life and are desperately trying to fill it with anything they view as meaningful.

Cincydawg

• Global Moderator
  • Team Captain
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 06:40:20 AM »
Most, or at least many, students from what I can tell are there to get a degree and get on with their lives.  A fair number are in technical areas where they actually need to learn something.  I saw something a while back about "most popular majors" and business and biological sciences were two on the list.  

My kids came out of college relatively unscathed with "propaganda" and both have good jobs today.  That hardly means they all do of course.  Are these figures on depression worse than comparable figures from say 1970?

IMAVOL

• All Star
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 07:12:24 AM »
HK it is not what the schools have wrought.  It is what the parents have wrought.  By trying to be their children's friend, not setting boundaries and trying to protect them from anything difficult parents have set kids up for failure. Old sayings like steel sharpens steel and it takes pressure to make a diamond out of coal are true.  When kid's have been coddled and then get to their first major challenge where mom and dad can't do it for them they get depressed. 

Cincydawg

• Global Moderator
  • Team Captain
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 07:45:13 AM »
I used to coach a lot when my kids were of that age, so I got to know the kids who were their friends.  Now, these are the kids who played soccer or basketball or baseball, so they were a somewhat select group who would try and do things, but in the main, they were fine kids, and their parents were fine folks as well.

I'd guess some of the kids who did not participate might be as some describe here of course.  At times though we may tend to label all kids with the attributes that MAY be those of a relative few.  

I'd also note in the US about 2/3rds of HS graduates go to college.  IN Europe,  the figure is about half that, a bit more.

IMAVOL

• All Star
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 08:00:15 AM »
Cindy, you make my point better than I  did.  Kids that play sports are used to having to work hard and overcome the defeats they suffer. It equips them to face the challenges they face latter in life.  Not every kid is taught these skills, be it on the athletic field or anywhere for that matter.

DunkingDan

• Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2019, 05:05:45 PM »
Public school systems in the country are a waist of taxpayers money.

In the mid 1900's they did a far better job all around. 

The Feds need to get out of the state and local areas systems and let them teach the basics and instill discipline.
President Harry S. Truman said: “The fundamental basis of this nation’s laws was given to Moses on the Mount.  The fundamental basis of our Bill of Rights comes from the teachings…  If we don't have the proper fundamental moral background, we will finally wind up with a totalitarian government which does not believe in rights for anybody except the state.”

Cincydawg

• Global Moderator
  • Team Captain
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 05:47:23 PM »
I'm just one data point, but the education my kids received in public schools was far better than the one I received, in large part perhaps because theirs was far better funded.

Amazon:
Support the Site:
Please Search Amazon from here!