Ocasio-Cortez is The Real Person From the Novel and Movie Being There
header pic

College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!! The Best FREE College Football Forum on the Internet!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Ocasio-Cortez is The Real Person From the Novel and Movie Being There

(Read 257 times)

gymvol

• All Star
  • Liked:

It's about a simple minded uneducated gardner whose only knowledge comes from watching televsion but when he has to live in the real world he is thought to be a genius.

That's they same thing MSM and  democrats are doing with Ocasio-Cortez, taking a simple minded fool treating her like she's a Rhodes scholar.

Does this sound familiar?

snip:

Plot

The middle-aged and simple-minded Chance lives in the townhouse of an old, wealthy man in Washington, D.C.. He has spent his whole life tending the garden and has never left the property. Other than gardening, his knowledge is derived entirely from what he sees on television. When his benefactor dies, Chance naively tells the lawyers that he has no claim against the estate and is ordered to move out.

Chance wanders aimlessly, discovering the outside world for the first time. Passing by a TV shop, he sees himself captured by a camera in the shop window. Entranced, he steps backward off the sidewalk and is struck by a chauffeured car owned by Ben Rand, an elderly business mogul. In the car is Rand's much younger and very glamorous wife, Eve, who mishears "Chance, the gardener", in reply to the question who he is, as "Chauncey Gardiner".

Eve brings Chance to their home to recover. He is wearing expensive tailored clothes from the 1920s and '30s, which his benefactor had allowed him to take from the attic, and his manners are old-fashioned and courtly. When Ben Rand meets him, he takes "Chauncey" for an upper-class, highly educated businessman who has fallen on hard times. Rand admires him, finding him direct, wise and insightful.

Rand is also a confidant and adviser to the President of the United States, whom he introduces to "Chauncey". In a discussion about the economy, Chance takes his cue from the words "stimulate growth" and talks about the changing seasons of the garden. The President misinterprets this as optimistic political advice and quotes “Chauncey Gardiner” in a speech. Chance now rises to national public prominence, attends important dinners, develops a close connection with the Soviet ambassador and appears on a television talk show. During the latter, Chance goes into detail about what a serious gardener should do and is misunderstood as giving his opinion about what would be his presidential policy, given the chance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Being_There

DunkingDan

• Legend
  • Liked:
Re: Ocasio-Cortez is The Real Person From the Novel and Movie Being There
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 08:41:58 PM »
President Harry S. Truman said: “The fundamental basis of this nation’s laws was given to Moses on the Mount.  The fundamental basis of our Bill of Rights comes from the teachings…  If we don't have the proper fundamental moral background, we will finally wind up with a totalitarian government which does not believe in rights for anybody except the state.”

steve37777

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 11:35:17 PM »
Gym, I remember that movie very well....Chauncey was played brilliantly by Peter Sellers....All the guy wanted to do was watch TV, and work in the garden.

By dressing in the clothes of his rich old dead boss, they were very nice suits, he looked distinguished...As a result of his distinguished look, whatever he said, people listened to as gospel....

I saw that film again a little over a month ago...Of course, at the time "the bartender" had not yet began speaking her destruction of civilization as we know it yet...

She does dress exceptionally well now, and has been trained a little bit better by her handlers on how to smile at the camera, which loves her...She has also been trained how to always sound like she knows all the answers to everything...

As she grows in popularity by the uninformed masses, I could see her being an independent party champion, that could really be a force some day in the political landscape future....

If unchecked, she could end life as we know it....    
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 07:07:53 AM by steve37777 »

gymvol

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 11:42:42 PM »
She's a prime example of the old saying "If you can't dazzle them with brilliance then baffle them with bullshit".

And  Steve you're right about her growing in popularity and just like the movie the morons on the left mistake Bull Shit for Brilliance.

mcwterps1

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2019, 11:54:18 PM »
Sounds like our founding fathers.

Good.

I can see she is the new target.

For people who want to make America great, (even though it has always been and you're a traitor if you think it isn't....looking at you Dixie Chicks), you'd think you'd know what the tax rate was during the Greatest Generation's time, when Apple pies grew on trees and you could raise a family on minimum wage.

steve37777

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2019, 12:46:40 AM »

Good.

For people who want to make America great, (even though it has always been and you're a traitor if you think it isn't....looking at you Dixie Chicks), you'd think you'd know what the tax rate was during the Greatest Generation's time, when Apple pies grew on trees and you could raise a family on minimum wage.
Could you translate some of this.....
I never knew apple pie grew on trees.....

"The bartender" has put herself in front of every camera she can find...She's a pretty girl...It's her time, for now....

« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 05:21:11 AM by steve37777 »

CatsbyAZ

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2019, 10:37:22 AM »
Trump has a novel predicting him too! It Can’t Happen Here by Sinclair Lewis (from Wikipedia): “Published during the rise of fascism in Europe, the novel describes the rise of Berzelius "Buzz" Windrip, a demagogue who is elected President of the United States, after fomenting fear and promising drastic economic and social reforms while promoting a return to patriotism and "traditional" values.“

Cincydawg

• Global Moderator
  • Team Captain
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2019, 10:43:28 AM »
This notion that anyone could raise a family in any minimum wage at ANY time in history is quite obviously false, absurdly so.

The highest MW ever inflation adjusted was well below $15 an hour.  It was never intended to be a wage suitable for raising a family, and never has been, not even close.

ATexasVol

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2019, 11:05:57 AM »

That's exactly what I was thinking.   Any time I hear AOC talk, it immediately conjures up visions of her debating the principles of a democratic republic with the likes of Jefferson, Hamilton, and Franklin.  She would have been one of the intellectual giants behind this great American experiment in democracy.  

gymvol

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2019, 03:34:46 PM »
This notion that anyone could raise a family in any minimum wage at ANY time in history is quite obviously false, absurdly so.

The highest MW ever inflation adjusted was well below $15 an hour.  It was never intended to be a wage suitable for raising a family, and never has been, not even close.

If you had grown up in parts of the South you would know people could and did raise families on a lot less because they didn't sit on their ass waiting for someone else to provide for them.

They struggled and made it the best way the knew how.     I know I was one of them.

mcwterps1

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2019, 03:44:25 PM »

The highest MW ever inflation adjusted was well below $15 an hour.  It was never intended to be a wage suitable for raising a family, and never has been, not even close.
I've seen you say this before, like it's a fact.
Care to share how you know, or dispute this simple search, and maybe leave out your pompous attitude as well? 
https://www.politifact.com/rhode-island/statements/2014/jun/15/jack-reed/jack-reed-says-minimum-wage-1950s-and-1960s-would-/

steve37777

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2019, 04:28:35 PM »
As a youth living in Tennessee, my family was wiped out financially by a girl that falsely accused my brother of rape...He was innocent.

The lawyer that saved my brother from this lying whore's lies, let us work and pay his bill over several years...He was a good guy.

For my part, I went to school, played sports, worked as a bag boy after school and football practice..I cut grass on the weekends...Those were the honest dollars....Hard dollars.

I also worked for a bootlegger some doing "odd jobs" for him...It wasn't "Thunder Road" stuff, but it was damn exciting stuff at times....It paid better than being a bag boy bagging groceries.

Not sure what MW was back then, but I know the bootlegger paid better than whatever it was.....LOL.

Ah, the good times are gone forever.....

gymvol

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2019, 05:04:19 PM »
I've seen you say this before, like it's a fact.
Care to share how you know, or dispute this simple search, and maybe leave out your pompous attitude as well?
https://www.politifact.com/rhode-island/statements/2014/jun/15/jack-reed/jack-reed-says-minimum-wage-1950s-and-1960s-would-/

I don't need you with your smart ass atitude or link to tell me how poor I grew up. People like you today don't have one damn clue as what poverty is all you are looking for is an excuse to bitch and complain when things have been handed to you and people like you.

I grew up in East TN my father died when I was three years old my mother who didn't have lot of education was left to raise seven children me being the youngest.

There wasn't any welfare hand outs, no food stamp programs, no free housing, no free utilities and ther certainly weren't a bunch of politicians claiming we were entitled to everything because we were a special class in this country.

She worked at what she could , we grew most of what we ate and we managed to survive so I don't need some low life telling me I have a pompous attitude when you don't know one fucking thing about me or how I grew up.

If you don't like that answer I don't care because I really don't give a rats ass about what you think.

Cincydawg

• Global Moderator
  • Team Captain
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2019, 05:16:28 PM »
https://money.cnn.com/interactive/economy/minimum-wage-since-1938/

The highest the minimum wage has ever been is $10.86 an hour in today's dollars.  Nobody could raise a family on that alone.

Now, if you had additional non-monetary income, fine, my parents raised families on less than that, but they were farmers who sold hogs or corn or whatever for some money, they didn't work for any minimum wage.

But if you think today someone could raise a family on nothing but $11 an hour, it's fine with me, I don't for obvious reasons.  And it started in 1938 and was never meant to be something on which a person could raise a family without additional income.

And I did grow up in the South,as did both parents.

Cincydawg

• Global Moderator
  • Team Captain
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2019, 05:37:30 PM »
My solution to the minimum wage issue would be to set it at $11/hr, the highest it has ever been, and put it on a COLA like SS once a year.

That of course would remove it from partisan "discussion" which neither party would want.

DunkingDan

• Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2019, 06:08:32 PM »
If you had grown up in parts of the South you would know people could and did raise families on a lot less because they didn't sit on their ass waiting for someone else to provide for them.

They struggled and made it the best way the knew how.     I know I was one of them.
I know plenty of them as well
President Harry S. Truman said: “The fundamental basis of this nation’s laws was given to Moses on the Mount.  The fundamental basis of our Bill of Rights comes from the teachings…  If we don't have the proper fundamental moral background, we will finally wind up with a totalitarian government which does not believe in rights for anybody except the state.”

DunkingDan

• Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2019, 06:09:00 PM »
My solution to the minimum wage issue would be to set it at $11/hr, the highest it has ever been, and put it on a COLA like SS once a year.

That of course would remove it from partisan "discussion" which neither party would want.
COLA is a joke

mcwterps1

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2019, 06:46:54 PM »
I don't need you with your smart ass atitude or link to tell me how poor I grew up. People like you today don't have one damn clue as what poverty is all you are looking for is an excuse to bitch and complain when things have been handed to you and people like you.

I grew up in East TN my father died when I was three years old my mother who didn't have lot of education was left to raise seven children me being the youngest.

There wasn't any welfare hand outs, no food stamp programs, no free housing, no free utilities and ther certainly weren't a bunch of politicians claiming we were entitled to everything because we were a special class in this country.

She worked at what she could , we grew most of what we ate and we managed to survive so I don't need some low life telling me I have a pompous attitude when you don't know one fucking thing about me or how I grew up.

If you don't like that answer I don't care because I really don't give a rats ass about what you think.
Nobody was talking to you in that post, and if you really care to spill your feelings and expect anyone to give a shit, maybe start your posts differently. Basically stopped caring about your sob story after that.
You've already proven you're senile and live in a world of make believe.

Cincydawg

• Global Moderator
  • Team Captain
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2019, 06:49:28 PM »
So, $11 an hour.  Does anyone think they can raise a family on that income?

I'm not talking about living on a farm where one has access to other kinds of income and bartering, but living on $11 an hour.  It's silly.  

$11 an hour.  That was never meant to be any kind of "living wage" ever.  It's a minimum.

mcwterps1

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2019, 06:54:03 PM »
So, $11 an hour.  Does anyone think they can raise a family on that income?

I'm not talking about living on a farm where one has access to other kinds of income and bartering, but living on $11 an hour.  It's silly.  

$11 an hour.  That was never meant to be any kind of "living wage" ever.  It's a minimum.

Still don't know where you're getting your info from.... 

Cincydawg

• Global Moderator
  • Team Captain
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2019, 07:05:14 PM »
Um, CNN, Business Insider, any site you'd care to google and find.  The information is 100% accurate.

I provided links.  You can find others than say the same thing.

Cincydawg

• Global Moderator
  • Team Captain
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2019, 07:06:14 PM »
https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2018/may/22/tina-smith/minimum-wage-worth-less-now-50-years-ago/

Back in 1968, the minimum wage was set at $1.60. That is equivalent to $11.76 in today’s dollars, which is well above today’s minimum wage level and an all-time high when adjusted for inflation. (We used the Bureau of Labor Statistics’ inflation calculator for this purpose.)

Cincydawg

• Global Moderator
  • Team Captain
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:

Cincydawg

• Global Moderator
  • Team Captain
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2019, 07:07:31 PM »
https://www.cnbc.com/2016/07/21/adjusted-for-inflation-the-federal-minimum-wage-is-worth-less-than-50-years-ago.html

Google it yourself and see, they all say the same thing, because this is math.

mcwterps1

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2019, 10:49:56 PM »
You pick one year? What's so special about '68?

Are these numbers adjusted for productivity? 

Do you know how much things cost back then?

Hell, I could buy a pack of smokes for under a buck, and that was in '95.

We're closer to $20 by inflation and productivity, so I don't care what you cherry pick.

Besides, my point was, tax rates were well into the 80-90% in our past.

Why her ideas sound so out of this world, is beyond me, because we've already been there when we were the most well off society in the world.

harvestalvol

• Player
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2019, 10:56:44 PM »
Why should the Gov be involved in determining wages, prices, etc.? I worked for $1.50 per hour (sometimes over 100 hours per week) when minimum wage was $3.35. Farm exemption. A big reason I went to college. I didn't like being poor and decided to do something different. Thank God I live in a country that provided me that opportunity; not outcome. 

Former Rep. Ron Paul, Texas Republican, said in his weekly column that “raising the minimum wage actually harms those at the bottom of the income ladder” and raising it by “government decree” “appeals to those who do not understand economics.”
“Raising the minimum wage increases the price of labor, thus decreasing the demand for labor,” he writes. “Unskilled and inexperienced workers are the ones most often deprived of employment opportunities by increases in the minimum wage.”

HK_Vol

• Team Captain
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2019, 03:05:59 AM »
Should the minimum wage be the same in Jackson, Mississippi or Paducah, Kentucky as it is in New York City or San Francisco?

If not, why have a Federal minimum wage at all?
Why not have it set at the state or local level if you insist on having one?

https://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/tenth_amendment

United States Constitution:
Amendment X
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

Cincydawg

• Global Moderator
  • Team Captain
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2019, 06:31:31 AM »
You pick one year? What's so special about '68?

Are these numbers adjusted for productivity?

Do you know how much things cost back then?

Hell, I could buy a pack of smokes for under a buck, and that was in '95.

We're closer to $20 by inflation and productivity, so I don't care what you cherry pick.

Besides, my point was, tax rates were well into the 80-90% in our past.

Why her ideas sound so out of this world, is beyond me, because we've already been there when we were the most well off society in the world.

I picked 1968, as I explained, because that was the highest the minimum wage ever has been adjusted for inflation.  Any other year would yield a lower value.
Your point was about how someone could raise a family on the minimum wage in the past which is not true at all.
Her "ideas" are delusional.

Cincydawg

• Global Moderator
  • Team Captain
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2019, 06:51:10 AM »

Good.

Raising a family on the minimum wage, which at its highest point was under $11 an hour adjusted for inflation would have been impossible without doing other work.
And of course the high marginal tax rates of the earlier era also came with extensive and large deductions, so they can't readily be compared with rates of today.  Anyone subject to a 90% marginal income tax rate in California would be paying over 100% on that marginal income.

ATexasVol

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2019, 08:57:51 AM »
Minimum wage does not work.   It is an idea that sounds good to people ignorant of economics and business principles, but it has exactly zero merit.  

The government has no business telling anyone how much they should compensate their employees, regardless of whether you're talking about MW or medical insurance.   The government can't even run their own business competently, much less tell everyone else how they should be running things.  

Amazon:
Support the Site:
Please Search Amazon from here!