Medieval City in the US
header pic

College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!! The Best FREE College Football Forum on the Internet!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Medieval City in the US

(Read 159 times)

HK_Vol

• Team Captain
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
Medieval City in the US
« on: February 07, 2019, 10:15:09 PM »

http://ace.mu.nu/archives/379679.php

The Typhus Epidemic that LA's Government Has Cooked Up Has Now Spread to... City Hall

That's a shame.

All carpets at Los Angeles City Hall may need to be replaced amid a Typhus outbreak that may have infected one city employee while at work, according to a motion filed by Council President Herb Wesson on Wednesday.
Wesson first became aware of a vermin issue in November 2018, contacted pest control experts and removed all his office's carpets, according to the motion.
The motion reported cleanup issues and a noticeable increase in rodents in the area, which could have contributed to the outbreak.

Los Angeles' government has pretty much invited this outbreak. They have lots of homeless people, but nowhere for the homeless to defecate, except storm drains. They are allowing the streets to be strewn with trash. They've let their rat problem get out of control.

Basically they've reproduced the living conditions of a filthy Medieval port city, and are now shocked to find that they have "Typhus zones" like a Medieval port city.

But they're the Party of Science, you know.

steve37777

• Player
  • Liked:
Re: Medieval City in the US
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 10:35:27 PM »
I was talking with a friend in San Diego today.....He said the city has been overrun with illegals and the homeless....Poop and trash is common now on their once pristine streets....

The city council is trying to hide their problems, but the illegal immigration lid is about to blow off like it did in San Francisco...

He is trying to find work in another state...He is desperate to get out. He was once a democrat, but not anymore.

He is also a Mexican....I was with him at his citizen ceremony, making him a USA citizen...He wept with joy at becoming a US citizen.

TREX

• Global Moderator
  • Starter
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 06:57:15 AM »
And they want to bring that to all of America.

Liberal Commies are miserable and their goal is to make everyone else as miserable as they are

Drew4UTk

• Administrator
  • All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 07:56:20 AM »
And they want to bring that to all of America.

Liberal Commies are miserable and their goal is to make everyone else as miserable as they are
almost... their 'game', I'm almost certain, is to create/cause a circumstance so bad that we scream for help- and by 'we' i mean ALL of us... and we hand them any semblance of 'freedom' as a cost for their 'repair', which will likely never happen but the loss of freedom and liberties will. 

CatsbyAZ

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2019, 08:05:02 AM »
I was talking with a friend in San Diego today.....He said the city has been overrun with illegals and the homeless....Poop and trash is common now on their once pristine streets....

The city council is trying to hide their problems, but the illegal immigration lid is about to blow off like it did in San Francisco...
Homelessness has risen in San Diego but it’s yet to be reach the crisis in LA and the Bay Area. IMO, San Diego’s local government does more to keep it under control. For example the Homeless Camps are villages rather than the-near permanent slums in Skid Row and under Oakland’s overpasses. Several reasons why: the San Diego PD clears known homeless encampments every Friday which limits growth and makes the homeless population, especially those from Mexico, more transient, meaning after a while they head up to LA where they’re more left alone.

Cincydawg

• Global Moderator
  • Team Captain
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2019, 09:56:54 AM »
Cities with moderate weather are going to attract the homeless in greater numbers than would Chicago.  There isn't a "good solution" to the problem for them.

I mulled the notion of providing some kind of open space for a tent city or whatever with portajohns and running water, a kind of camp ground.  They would not be however as able to beg for handouts there.  I've been all over SF (have a son living there) and not seen what I see on TV in the Tenderloin district, but he may know to skirt that area.  It's pretty close to where he lives.

HK_Vol

• Team Captain
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2019, 11:28:00 AM »
Probably one third need to be institutionalized, but we got rid of that policy decades ago.
Supposedly, we are more “enlightened” now, their living in the streets is a better alternative.
At least another third have drug problems.

Cincydawg

• Global Moderator
  • Team Captain
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2019, 11:33:37 AM »
Yeah, at least a third have serious mental issues.  Nearly all of the rest are on drugs or alcohol, and a scant few perhaps are "in between", something bad happened to them and they are out on the street temporarily.

I doubt the scant few camp anywhere near the others.

Hoojang

• Player
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2019, 03:23:01 PM »
SF is going to fool around and experience the modern version of the black plague.  

DunkingDan

• Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2019, 03:52:31 PM »
Cities with moderate weather are going to attract the homeless in greater numbers than would Chicago.  There isn't a "good solution" to the problem for them.

I mulled the notion of providing some kind of open space for a tent city or whatever with portajohns and running water, a kind of camp ground.  They would not be however as able to beg for handouts there.  I've been all over SF (have a son living there) and not seen what I see on TV in the Tenderloin district, but he may know to skirt that area.  It's pretty close to where he lives.
There are several tent cities on the outskirts of towns here as well as people camping in junkyards.
President Harry S. Truman said: “The fundamental basis of this nation’s laws was given to Moses on the Mount.  The fundamental basis of our Bill of Rights comes from the teachings…  If we don't have the proper fundamental moral background, we will finally wind up with a totalitarian government which does not believe in rights for anybody except the state.”

Cincydawg

• Global Moderator
  • Team Captain
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2019, 03:57:24 PM »
San Francisco doesn't have "outskirts" obviously where they could put folks, who likely would not stay anyway.  Most of SF is fine in my experience.  We were there for three days earlier this year and walked all over the place.  I did see some areas that were trashy, quite a bit of litter blowing around as they have wind.  

I don't trust news reports to provide a real perspective on a topic of this nature because they can easily highlight one small area and make you think it's the entire city.

CatsbyAZ

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2019, 08:58:49 PM »
Yeah, at least a third have serious mental issues.  Nearly all of the rest are on drugs or alcohol, and a scant few perhaps are "in between", something bad happened to them and they are out on the street temporarily.

I doubt the scant few camp anywhere near the others.
My observation of urban homelessness going on ten years of living in various large cities where crossing paths with the homeless is almost a daily occurrence:

90% avoid police interaction, though some of the older ones credit police for offering lunch leftovers, rides to hospitals and shelters, and calling in medical help

75-80% male

75% have operating cell phones

75% smoke pot

75% prior arrests

66% recovering addicts or actively using street drugs

66% use combination of panhandled change and EBT benefits to live off of Fast Food dollar menus and ramen from 7-11 or Circle K

66% have varying degrees of mental problems, some inherent to ending up on the street, some caused by PTSD-like stress from living on the street

50% have a drinking problem

50% minority

50% use homeless shelters about once a week

40% involved in “junkie markets” of actively obtaining, selling, and trading prescription meds (female homeless especially useful in this undercurrent because of the their easier time getting prescriptions written for Xanax and painkillers)

33% military background

33% customers of prostitution (almost always paid for with drugs)

25% use homeless shelters daily

20% rely on recycling programs to raise cash from scavenged glass bottles and aluminum cans

20% over 55

20% rely on public transportation to daily get around between hotspots for panhandling

15% dog owners, sometimes incorporating their dogs into shows of panhandling

15% for sale for casual prostitution (as opposed to subjects of organized or forced prostitution semi-comfortably housed by pimps and tricks to maintain street value)

15% use city libraries to stay warm in winter

15% live out of their vehicles (more likely to have jobs)

10% attend church

5-10% carry guns
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 09:07:49 PM by CatsbyAZ »

Cincydawg

• Global Moderator
  • Team Captain
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2019, 08:56:05 AM »
That sounds about right to me, I have far less experience with it, but is consistent with what I've seen.

It's not an easy problem to solve for cities who want to appear to be "caring".

I think the police also don't "see" them even if they are breaking the law.

Hoojang

• Player
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2019, 09:13:29 AM »
Interesting numbers. 
I have a friend thats a counselor at KARM (Knoxville Area rescue Mission) and they feed 100's 3 meals a day as well as put up a couple hundred nightly. Some of the stories he shares will collaborate the problems you listed but not the percentages. That said your percentages may not be that far off.
The big killer around here is Meth.... It's spread to both large and small communities and eventually these addicts make there way to Knoxville. He says there's gun shots around the Karm building every night. When you drive by Karm just before and during meal times theres 100's loitering around.
Drive around certain area's and the rough looking prostitutes will try to make eye contact with you inorder to ply their trade. I'm talking some are VERY rough....
They like to panhandle major intersections and around parks.
Theres been several makeshift tent communities ala SF that spring up in unoccupied area's around town that get rousted and cleared out and the homeless relocate. It's like a game.

Locally we have the Helen Ross McNabb foundation that tries to address the mentally ill of which the vast majority is the homeless. They provide counseling, living quarters and menial job opportunities to try and get them somewhat self sufficient. 
We also have several methadone clinics that open every mourning at 5am to pass out treatments to the addicts so they can then go to work. I don't know if these addicts do infact have gainful employment or if the clinics have a way of checking, I hope so.....

I haven't read up or studied the how and why mentally ill facilities are no longer utilized but I'll swag the homeless and addicts makeup the vast majority of these people.
What we're doing now is hardly a bandaid and no where near a cure....

Cincydawg

• Global Moderator
  • Team Captain
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2019, 09:21:52 AM »
The Supreme Court back in the 1970s, I think, ruled that you can't pull a person off the street for treatment in a mental facility without "cause" and adjudication.  It made sense, but resulted in a lot of homeless as no one wants to take on the process for them.  You might if it's a relative, but not some stranger who is out there obviously out of their mind, and the police ignore it, it's not really their job.

We lack a good process for referring these folks to involuntary mental health treatment.  You can't just lock someone up with the process.

HK_Vol

• Team Captain
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2019, 06:43:10 PM »

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-city-hall-typhus-20190209-story.html

‘Absolutely terrifying’: Deputy city attorney says she contracted typhus at City Hall

SNIP:
Deputy City Atty. Elizabeth Greenwood was at work in City Hall East last fall when her shin began to hurt.

“I looked down and there were a couple of insect bites,” Greenwood recalled. She thought little of it at the time, she said, but within weeks she was gravely ill with what doctors would ultimately diagnose as the flea-borne illness typhus.

“It was absolutely terrifying,” Greenwood said, describing symptoms that included a 102-degree fever, “the worst headache I have ever had in my life,” and dizziness so severe that she needed help walking to the bathroom.

Greenwood’s experience — and her willingness to speak publicly about it — was a driving factor in this week’s admission by city officials that Los Angeles’ iconic seat of government is infested with vermin.

Amazon:
Support the Site:
Please Search Amazon from here!