header pic

The B12 (XII) Forum, home of the 'Front Porch, y'all' at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Sooners schedule home-and-home with Clemson

(Read 4744 times)

CWSooner

• Team Captain
  • Liked:
Sooners schedule home-and-home with Clemson
« on: March 29, 2019, 06:25:50 PM »
NewsOK.com
Sooners schedule home-and-home with Clemson
by RYAN ABER
Published: Mon, March 25, 2019 7:35 AM Updated: Tue, March 26, 2019 2:04 PM

Oklahoma and Clemson have met twice in bowl games in recent years.

Now they'll reportedly meet in the regular season, but it won't be for awhile.

The teams will play in Clemson in 2035 and in Norman the next season, FBSchedules.com reported Tuesday.

The site reported that the Sooners would travel to Clemson on Sept. 15, 2035 with the return game the next Sept. 13, though the contract has language allowing the dates to be shifted.

The Sooners and Tigers have met five times on the field, with Clemson holding a 3-2 advantage. Oklahoma won the only two regular-season meetings between the two, 31-14 in 1963 and 52-3 in 1972. Both of those games were in Norman. The Tigers beat the Sooners in bowl games following the 1988, 2014 and 2015 seasons.

Oklahoma previously hadn't scheduled any non-conference games past the 2030 trip to Nebraska.

Future non-conference games
2019: Houston, South Dakota, at UCLA
2020: Tennessee, at Army
2021: at Tulane, Nebraska
2022: UTEP, at Nebraska
2024: Temple, at Tennessee
2025: Michigan, at Temple
2026: at Michigan
2028: Temple
2029: Nebraska
2030: at Nebraska

2023 is still open.  That will be the 100th anniversary year for Oklahoma Memorial Stadium, so there's suspicion that there will be an extra-special "marquee" opponent for that year.

If so, I'd like it to be Notre Dame.  We played a singleton in South Bend in 1999, so it would be good to have the Irish return the favor.  We've got scoreboard on them, but our record is only 2-9, so there's some making-up that needs to be done.

If not Notre Dame, maybe USC?  That 55-19 drubbing in the 2004 (season) Orange Bowl-NCG still feels like it was two losses.
Play Like a Champion Today

Drew4UTk

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Re: Sooners schedule home-and-home with Clemson
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2019, 03:22:41 PM »
that's gonna be a big payday and certain prime time.... and a helluva game on top of that!

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 10:50:05 AM »
that's gonna be a big payday and certain prime time.... and a helluva game on top of that!

I love ya Drew but do we really know what an OU vs. Clemson game means in 2035?

Drew4UTk

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2019, 11:00:20 AM »
they're both helmet schools, rightfully so- and they aren't operated by clowns like at Tennessee nor Nebraska, meaning when it's time to make a change- if they need to- they will, and it has greater potential to be good than it does bad... I would place Clemson behind OU in this capacity, but they're both still in likely the top twenty of efficiently operated athletic departments.... and it will be a 'good game' because of the clash of legacy.  I'd say they're both either rising or holding right now in that regard.  

i'd reckon this next bit has better potential in a separate thread and akin to the 'helmet school' thread in the B10 board: 

'how far out can you reasonably predict an interesting game'- and it would be almost exclusively with helmet schools for it to matter beyond current rosters and staffs i'd guess.  

using the top 30 helmet schools, a good bit of them would be eliminated as they play often enough (inter-conference), which would leave perhaps 20 or so 'reliable' games that would draw a crowd- and Clemson vs OU is one of them.. So would any other helmet team in the B12 vs. Clemson (which leaves Texas).  a USCw and a Florida would be another example- both teams off their pace historically speaking, but both fully expected to recover from that (Florida quicker).    

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2019, 04:51:43 PM »

My concern was more along the lines of Clemson, not so much OU.  I guess I've never considered Clemson a helmet school, although the last few years might make one think otherwise.  I can recall when The U. and FSU had it going on, Clemson was nothing but roadkill.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2019, 05:00:54 PM »
Sooners obviously have history on their side showing promise of being top 20 in 2035, but even the mighty Sooners had a dark spot a couple decades or so ago

Clemson wasn't much until a few seasons after Dabo showed up and he talked to the media last season about a possible move although I'm sure it was in jest
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

CWSooner

• Team Captain
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2019, 07:40:12 PM »
they're both helmet schools, rightfully so- and they aren't operated by clowns like at Tennessee nor Nebraska, meaning when it's time to make a change- if they need to- they will, and it has greater potential to be good than it does bad... I would place Clemson behind OU in this capacity, but they're both still in likely the top twenty of efficiently operated athletic departments.... and it will be a 'good game' because of the clash of legacy.  I'd say they're both either rising or holding right now in that regard.  

i'd reckon this next bit has better potential in a separate thread and akin to the 'helmet school' thread in the B10 board:

'how far out can you reasonably predict an interesting game'- and it would be almost exclusively with helmet schools for it to matter beyond current rosters and staffs i'd guess.  

using the top 30 helmet schools, a good bit of them would be eliminated as they play often enough (inter-conference), which would leave perhaps 20 or so 'reliable' games that would draw a crowd- and Clemson vs OU is one of them.. So would any other helmet team in the B12 vs. Clemson (which leaves Texas).  a USCw and a Florida would be another example- both teams off their pace historically speaking, but both fully expected to recover from that (Florida quicker).    
Drew:

I wonder about Florida.  They were not a consistent national power until SOS got there as head coach in 1990, and they've had trouble sustaining greatness since Urban Meyer left after the 1990 season.  Maybe where they are now--usually challenging for the SEC East championship--is more the historical norm than the national championships of the Spurrier and Meyer eras.  And with Georgia's recent rise under Kirby Smart, it may be all that much harder for Florida to win the SEC-E.

In Richard Billingsley's all-time rankings (https://enc.cfrc.com/archives/Top_Programs_2018.htm), Florida ranks #20.  By comparison, Georgia ranks #11, FSU ranks #12, LSU ranks #13, Auburn ranks #15, Texas A&M ranks #19, and Arkansas ranks #24.

I agree that Florida will probably get back to peak sooner than USC (Billingsley's #7 program).  They've got more natural advantages in recruiting territory and fan support, and USC has a bigger hill to climb.

Clemson is hard to guess.  Dabo sure has got it going right now.

I guess OU's A.D., Joe Castignlione, thinks they'll still have it going in 16 years.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 11:14:55 PM by CWSooner »
Play Like a Champion Today

TexasFan

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2019, 03:21:25 PM »
Do we still play Rice?

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.