header pic

Perhaps the BEST B1G Forum anywhere, here at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: OT - Why do you dine out? What do you seek in dining out?

(Read 4568 times)

Cincydawg

• Oracle of Piedmont Park
  • Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
OT - Why do you dine out? What do you seek in dining out?
« on: February 03, 2019, 06:06:51 AM »
My guess is most of us here can cook at home pretty well, and of course it's a LOT cheaper.  I was discussing this with the wife over dinner last night.  We do enjoy dining out.  Right now it's preferred because our kitchen is missing (not having a sink is a pain, we're washing dishes in the half bath sink, which isn't easy).

Of course, at times we do it for convenience, we have a time commitment, or we're traveling, etc., but I'm thinking about when we're at home and have the option to dine out.

My own take is to avoid steak when dining out.  We have a small electric grill, they don't allow gas or charcoal on the decks here, and it works "OK", I can get it pretty hot, about like using the broiler in the oven (which we don't have).  Yesterday, while we were out walking I stopped by a butcher shop and got a tenderloin cut as a steak about 2" thick.  It was very good, easy to fix.  Same with burgers, even from some "upscale" burger shop, it's easy to fix a burger.

My own preference is for "foreign food", stuff I can't easily prepare at home, Thai, Japanese, French, quasi-Mexican, Spanish, not German.  We have a Spanish tapas place not far that has always been tasty and fun and not too pricey.  We don't have many places with "English" food, though there are a couple self styled Irish Pubs nearby (they are so so).  (I've had English food at an English home and it was excellent.  The pub food in London is boring.)

And of course dining out can be an "event" as well, a "date" where perhaps you talk to your SO more than at home?

What is your favorite restaurant?  Why do you go there?  Can you cook as well at home?

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Re: OT - Why do you dine out? What do you seek in dining out?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2019, 08:27:49 AM »
When we go out, it's generally for Chinese or Tai (takeout), or one of several favorites. There is an Argentinian place about a block away that we love, although I can make just about everything on their menu. Lots of times we'll go into Chicago to go out to eat. Fancy isn't always better. To the North, you have the supper clubs. Can't beat that.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2019, 09:25:22 AM »
A big thing for us is time.  Not lack of time in the kitchen, but actual time without kids around.  It's nice to just go sit, pace yourself, and get a couple hours of quiet.

As far as food choices, usually it's international cuisine, stuff I wouldn't make, or would be unnecessarily expensive, because of the number of ingredients I wouldnt have on hand, and will likely never use again if I bought them, if I could find them.

Spice tolerance is the other thing. I love spicy foods, my wife has to chug milk if she eats a BBQ potato chip.  So it allows me to order stuff that I could make, but know I'd be the only one doing so if I did.

We don't have a "place", because I would rather try a new place every time.  We both love Italian, so that's a lot of what we cook, so I rarely want to go out for Italian.  She's the opposite, she doesn't understand why, if there is an Italian restaurant we both love, we don't frequent it.

MaximumSam

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2019, 09:34:29 AM »
I don't eat out a ton.  We have access to pretty good international grocery stores so it isn't too hard to get exotic ingredients.  But I do make an exception for deep fried foods - I think they are a pain in the ass to make at home so chicken wings, fries, cheese sticks, what have you, I don't feel bad buying those.

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2019, 09:42:12 AM »
Yeah, we go out maybe a couple of times per month because I really like to cook. As for wings, yeah, they can be a pain for sure. But, I have a fryer so it's not that bad.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

Cincydawg

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2019, 09:46:01 AM »
I cook wings on a grill, after some soaking in sauce.  Folks seem to like that in my experience.

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2019, 10:01:51 AM »
I cook wings on a grill, after some soaking in sauce.  Folks seem to like that in my experience.
Yes, that's a good way too. I always brine my wings, so they can stand up to a long cook. I find using a foil pan on a low indirect heat really makes the skin get crispy, and then I finish them on high direct heat. It's a longer process, but worth it. About 30 minutes on indirect and to your preference on high. Then back in the pan with a good wing sauce and you're good to go.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2019, 10:08:07 AM »
I forgot to mention this little German place my brothers and I meet at once a month on Thursdays. We don't go there for German (it sucks - I make my own) but that night any burger is $5.00. Comes with tots or fries. And it's ANY burger. Bacon-blue is my go-to but sometimes I get the patty melt too. They do a really good job and you can't beat the price.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2019, 10:35:11 AM »
I eat out once or twice a week

it's more about the socializing than the food

many times it's happy hour after work so wings are a regular choice - I do make good wings at home in the oven

I grill a mean steak, but there is one place that has dry aged steaks I visit regularly.  The little place in a small town has a James Beard award.  I don't have easy access to dry aged steaks.

http://www.archieswaeside.com/home

and yes, of course exotic foods such as Thai, Mexican, BBQ, seafood

but, it's the social aspect that gets me out of my kitchen
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2019, 10:43:35 AM »
I eat out once or twice a week

it's more about the socializing than the food

many times it's happy hour after work so wings are a regular choice - I do make good wings at home in the oven

I grill a mean steak, but there is one place that has dry aged steaks I visit regularly.  The little place in a small town has a James Beard award.  I don't have easy access to dry aged steaks.

http://www.archieswaeside.com/home

and yes, of course exotic foods such as Thai, Mexican, BBQ, seafood

but, it's the social aspect that gets me out of my kitchen
?? I thought Mike was back in business?
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

MarqHusker

• Team Captain
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2019, 10:47:46 AM »
I like the getaway and the social component as much as the food sometimes .  I fully support ordering food I can't or won't produce at home.

Last night: fish dumplings app. is a perfect example of this.   I could receive a $100k grant and six months and I'm sure I'd still struggle to execute such a perfect dumpling.

Also, cheeks.  Whenever cheeks are on the menu, get them.  The pork cheek pot roast was a great main last night.   Looking forward to seeing Halibut cheeks later this spring but only at a restaurant.

Brutus Buckeye

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2019, 10:49:47 AM »
Hate doing dishes, don't like eating leftovers, and my freezer is broken. 
1919, 20, 21, 28, 29, 31, 34, 35, 36, 37, 42, 44
WWH: 1952, 54, 55, 57, 58, 60, 61, 62, 63, 65, 67, 68, 70, 72, 74, 75
1979, 81, 82, 84, 87, 94, 98
2001, 02, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2019, 11:10:27 AM »
Hate doing dishes, don't like eating leftovers, and my freezer is broken.
Hard to believe that after a decade (more??) of posting here you haven't succumbed. It's like half of what we talk about for God's sake. I'm sure there is a recipe or two around here that you could do.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2019, 11:31:47 AM »
?? I thought Mike was back in business?
didn't happen for some reason, If I see him at the SB party today I'll ask.
and his locker of choice didn't do dry aging
dry aging is becoming more popular here, some Hy-Vee meat counters now offer dry aged blocks
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.