header pic

Perhaps the BEST B1G Forum anywhere, here at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Terrible Calls That Benefitted Your Team

(Read 2873 times)

CatsbyAZ

• All Star
  • Liked:
Re: Terrible Calls That Benefitted Your Team
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2019, 08:24:10 PM »
Need Gatorama’s help on this one but back when I was a much bigger Gators fan there was a 2006 Outback Bowl Vs Iowa where the Hawkeyes were making a big comeback. I believe UF was up 31-24 with Iowa lining up for an onside with less than a minute left. Iowa recovered the kick but the refs ruled that it hadn’t gone far enough, thus awarding the ball to Florida who promptly killed the remaining clock. Replay showed the kick had gone far enough.

Edit: found the ending on YouTube and the call that awarded Florida the ball was an offsides on Chad Greenway that replay showed wasn’t worth calling.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YzIoQOWKRag

MaximumSam

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2019, 06:57:05 AM »
Need Gatorama’s help on this one but back when I was a much bigger Gators fan there was a 2006 Outback Bowl Vs Iowa where the Hawkeyes were making a big comeback. I believe UF was up 31-24 with Iowa lining up for an onside with less than a minute left. Iowa recovered the kick but the refs ruled that it hadn’t gone far enough, thus awarding the ball to Florida who promptly killed the remaining clock. Replay showed the kick had gone far enough.

Edit: found the ending on YouTube and the call that awarded Florida the ball was an offsides on Chad Greenway that replay showed wasn’t worth calling.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YzIoQOWKRag
LOL I remember that!  And Spielman going crazy on the refs.

bayareabadger

• Legend
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2019, 08:50:38 AM »
I’ll make a category of calls I don’t know were blown, but the opponent probably felt was.

Let’s go with the time Wisconsin rallied from down 12 with 8 minutes to go in the big ten title game. They shot 12 of their 37 free throws in a 65-63 game and I think Izzo wanted to commit murder at the end. 

SFBadger96

• Starter
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2019, 12:01:26 PM »
5) Pass Interference, 2003 Fiesta Bowl. Maybe there was a hold?
6) Miami's "fumble" in the 4th quarter of Catholics vs. Convicts
8) Miami v. Duke, 2015.
9) Nebraska beats Missouri on the kicked ball (1997) -- any player in that position is going to intentionally kick the ball to try to keep it alive.
10) 2005 Penn State at Michigan: how much time is on the clock?
12) 2001 Michigan at Michigan State: "Clock-gate"
14) I feel like there have been a couple of MSU/Notre Dame games in which Notre Dame benefited from some pretty bad calls. 2013's parade of pass interference calls comes to mind.
15) Nebraska at Penn State, 1982: PSU's receiver clearly out of bounds when making catch, leads to game winning score. And the next year...
16) Alabama at Penn State (1983) Alabama's game-winning TD taken away by referee's call that receiver caught it out of bounds.
I included a couple where Notre Dame got away with one. Here's another that wasn't a "terrible" call, but I bet Stanford fans still don't like it: (2012 v. Stanford, OT goal line stand)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=28&v=vQwQUklgo6I

There are OSU, MSU, PSU, Michigan, Nebraska, and Miami fans here...any of these meaningful to you? Are these ones your team got away with and you know it?

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2019, 12:29:07 PM »
Another MSU one I just thought of.

MSU was playing Florida Gulf Coast, and was winning by 1, FGCU threw a full court pass with like 2 second to go, but the clock started on the throw, not the catch, so the buzzer sounded as the FGCU player caught the ball, and he just heaved it at the rim.  He actually had 2 seconds, and caught it in the paint, so he would have had time to collect and take a shot, a la Christian Laettner.  They should have said inadvertent horn before the play, and just redone it, which still would have somewhat screwed FGCU because it's unlikely they complete that pass again, but at least it's something.  Instead they said the play counted, and the missed shot ended the game, since the ball deflected out into play and the 2 seconds would have then run off.  Except the kid wouldn't have taken that forced shot if he hadn't been tricked by the incorrect buzzer.

Kris60

• All Star
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2019, 02:04:18 PM »
In the infamous 13-9 loss to Pitt that cost WVU a shot at the National Championship LaSean McCoy scored a TD late in the game that basically would have put it out of reach for WVU.

They called it back on a phantom hold that was simply terrible.  It was the first (and only) time in my life I felt like officials might be trying to help WVU win.

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.