header pic

Perhaps the BEST B1G Forum anywhere, here at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: 2019 Offseason Stream of Unconsciousness

(Read 127340 times)

MarqHusker

• Team Captain
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
Re: 2019 Offseason Stream of Unconsciousness
« Reply #630 on: March 16, 2019, 11:33:33 PM »
Our late law school Dean deadpanned, 'Look to the right of you, look to the left of you.......some of you will be sleeping with each over the next three years... (after laughter)  possibly getting married, having kids, divorced.'  I'm pretty sure he said those other things suggested above but why would I remember those words, after an opening line like that.     That same Dean also covered the entire beer tab following finals following the first semester.      

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #631 on: March 17, 2019, 09:53:19 AM »
I think a 750 of a distilled beverage is mandatory in ice fishing gear kits.
absolutely
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

Cincydawg

• Oracle of Piedmont Park
  • Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #632 on: March 17, 2019, 09:55:01 AM »
Looks like a very nice week here weatherwise.  Oddly enough, we're headed to Boston the week after when weather here tends to be superb.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #633 on: March 17, 2019, 10:10:23 AM »
weather is great here as well, upper 40s and sun

headed to Minneapolis later today, weather there will be good - low 40s and sun

scheduled for topgolf tues evening
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #634 on: March 17, 2019, 10:13:15 AM »
Chemistry prof at UNL in the early 80's addressing my freshman engineering class of about 300

look at the person to your right and the person to the left - one of the three of you will survive and move on to get an engineering degree

mcwterps1

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #635 on: March 17, 2019, 10:38:24 AM »

CWSooner

• Team Captain
  • Liked:
« Reply #636 on: March 17, 2019, 11:35:17 AM »
What that message from Kagan means depends a lot on the attitudes of the person reading it.

We were told the same thing when we matriculated into medical school. I bet they say the same to every entering law, dental, and business student, too. Which are all examples of this "maybe bad or lazy" message being paired with serious educating. And that doesn't have to be a paradox. It can just be a distinction that an important step is over. Or a signal that "typically everyone who gets this far is serious and you're one of them, so you're set."  Either way, we can assure ourselves that even though I received this message from Dean Paz at a first year "white coat ceremony" and was told "P = MD," as in "pass and you're a doctor," which was all true and that almost everyone graduated, getting an M.D. still took some doing. That the message doesn't (have to) contradict real education.
No, a "competition is over now" message doesn't have to contradict getting a real education.  But it isn't ringing support for the notion that there is serious work still to be done or you won't graduate either.
Play Like a Champion Today

Anonymous Coward

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #637 on: March 17, 2019, 12:03:38 PM »
Our late law school Dean deadpanned, 'Look to the right of you, look to the left of you.......some of you will be sleeping with each over the next three years... (after laughter)  possibly getting married, having kids, divorced.'  I'm pretty sure he said those other things suggested above but why would I remember those words, after an opening line like that.     That same Dean also covered the entire beer tab following finals following the first semester.      
What a line! Ha

Anonymous Coward

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #638 on: March 17, 2019, 02:23:22 PM »
No, a "competition is over now" message doesn't have to contradict getting a real education.  But it isn't ringing support for the notion that there is serious work still to be done or you won't graduate either.
Since I wrote it that way (re: doesn't have to), I think we agree. But our tone is different. 

Do you think "doesn't have to" is better interpreted as "typically not a problem but can be" or as "is rampant problem but not for everyone?" I lean much closer to the first but acknowledge that I've picked two extremes and that there's plenty of space in between. I'm not denying that, just expressing which side of the spectrum seems to me to have more truth.

Cincydawg

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #639 on: March 17, 2019, 03:48:39 PM »
Just back from lunch and a 4 mile walk with the wife.  The area down near Tech on this side of the freeway is growing like crazy.    Tech is expanding significantly apparently, and attracting the usual "hangers on" in a good way.  It looks to be a bit over two miles from our place to the Tech stadium, less to the baseball field, and I might take in some college baseball this spring.   I never developed the antipathy for Tech that many Dawg fans at least pretend to have in part because I almost went there.  Twice.

The Varsity is still going strong, I guess for traditional reasons.  Frankly the food isn't special at all.  I remember taking the kids there during the Olympics, we had gotten out of a late event at the Georgia Dome (basketball) and the trains were jammed, one after the other.  So I told them we'd walk to the Varsity and eat something and by then the trains would have emptied, but that never happened, they were full at 1 AM.  I had a fear I'd get on with my girls and my son wouldn't make it.

If you had a ticket to an Olympic event, MARTA was free.  Traffic was very light that whole week because everyone feared a disaster.

CWSooner

• Team Captain
  • Liked:
« Reply #640 on: March 18, 2019, 12:19:25 AM »
Since I wrote it that way (re: doesn't have to), I think we agree. But our tone is different.

Do you think "doesn't have to" is better interpreted as "typically not a problem but can be" or as "is rampant problem but not for everyone?" I lean much closer to the first but acknowledge that I've picked two extremes and that there's plenty of space in between. I'm not denying that, just expressing which side of the spectrum seems to me to have more truth.
I think you're emphasizing the word "doesn't," while I am emphasizing the word "have."
I'm only referring to the humanities and soft sciences, while your perspective, I believe, is based on your experience in medical school.  Maybe there's the source of which word each of us emphasizes.

But I do think that most non-medical people would be a bit uncomfortable if they understood that nearly every student who gets into medical school graduates as a doctor.
I'm thinking of a couple of Army schools from which I graduated back in the '80s. Both Ranger School and Flight School were hard to get into and also hard to pass.  Ranger School was harder to pass than to get into, maybe because intangibles (or lack thereof) are harder to screen.  In any event, my class had a 33% graduation rate.  Flight School was harder to get into than to pass, because there were many more objective disqualifiers, but the pass rate--at least as far as making it through without having getting bumped down to a following class--was still only about 60%.  Even at that, there were students who graduated who shouldn't have.  They would get assigned to jobs like assistant airfield commander, in which they would fly a few hours a month, probably with an instructor pilot in order to minimize the risk that they would screw up and convert a helicopter into a smoking hole in the ground.
Not good comparisons, really, but I haven't experienced anything in academia close to med school.
Play Like a Champion Today

Anonymous Coward

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #641 on: March 18, 2019, 01:53:21 AM »
It's true that my experiences come from the physical sciences (med school and now grad school for biochemistry). But I have some experience outside that. One of my undergrad majors was political science and my wife is a professor of Spanish and linguistics. Polisci at Michigan seemed pretty serious, but maybe that was different in the direction you mean (somewhat more lax). Still, I think the difference would be easy to overstate. There's lots of ambition/competition in those halls and more to learn than is possible in a lifetime. For my wife, it's seldom acknowledged by outsiders, but linguistics is steeped in the scientific method, the functional anatomy of the mouth/throat, the nonstop evolution of languages, and neuroscience. It isn't usually regarded as a "hard science" but prob should be. And my wife will admit that she gets several students who enroll thinking they can blow it off. But, on day one of each semester, she has taken to introducing the necessary effort level as comparable to what they'd expect if this were physics. And it generally works. They get wide-eyed then they buy in or disenroll, which is good for everyone.

Spanish is probably the closest to what you've described. For many reasons, students are more likely to treat that laxly**. So stronger examples of your sense do exist. But I never meant to promise they were nonexistent. I just think the problem is focal not global, and generally under control.

**(Probably for many reasons. We live in America, where, unlike every other nation, a single language dominates from ocean to ocean, and because of our influence and economy, English is becoming a sort of lingua franca worldwide, so we don't strictly *need* to move beyond English to communicate with neighbors as they do in Europe, for example. Of course, that can change - the US has the 2nd largest Spanish speaking population in the world - but I digress. Americans also can sometimes have unhealthy attitudes about Spanish born of disrespect of the people who speak it. And these things, even if none of it is meant as mean-spirited, can make US undergrads more likely to blow off a language class with the false idea it'll be an easy A and that's especially true for Spanish.)

Cincydawg

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #642 on: March 18, 2019, 09:23:30 AM »
Med students in general are a pretty motivated bunch.  They've been through a LOT to get admitted.  Other than for personal reasons, they are unlikely to fail to "do the work" and unlikely to not be academically qualified, so most should graduate.  In the military parallels, it could be more akin to Infantry Officer's Course in the Marines, the candidates have already been through TBS and are generally motivated, so most pass even though it is rigorous.

Grad school in the sciences is different, it's a long slog with uncertain outcomes.  Some students are academically challenged as the admission policies are not nearly so strict, and they favor English language speaking candidates.  A fair number just get tired of it and take a masters and leave, some females get pregnant, etc.  

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #643 on: March 18, 2019, 09:37:20 AM »
It is interesting how grad school is looked at by the different majors. An MS in Engineering is NOT a consolation prize by any stretch. It is looked upon as an achievement, for sure. In my field, you don't see many PhD's in practice. They generally tend to stay in academia. 
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.