header pic

Perhaps the BEST B1G Forum anywhere, here at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: 2019 Iowa Off Season Thread

(Read 5809 times)

Cincydawg

• Oracle of Piedmont Park
  • Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
Re: 2019 Iowa Off Season Thread
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2019, 04:51:26 PM »
I view such articles mostly as click bait in the off season, I don't expect much real analysis.

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2019, 06:49:54 PM »
If there's one thing I know about Iowa, is that there will always be a solid defense. The thing about that defense, and this goes back to all my time watching college football...

They hit, and they hit hard. They arrive at the ball angry and they take no tackle lightly. When a team plays Iowa, they know it, and they feel it for days. Sometimes longer.

They play the right way. Always have, as far as I'm concerned.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

Cincydawg

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2019, 07:04:54 PM »
I need to see a game at Kinnick one of these days.  I think Nebraska is at the top of my list, but not as practicable as others.  I might do Missouri this year and Vandy.

Is Virginia Tech somewhat akin to Iowa in style of play and stadium noise factor?

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2019, 07:21:00 PM »
I need to see a game at Kinnick one of these days.  I think Nebraska is at the top of my list, but not as practicable as others.  I might do Missouri this year and Vandy.

Is Virginia Tech somewhat akin to Iowa in style of play and stadium noise factor?
I've not been to Lane (maybe I will when UW goes there in a few years) but Kinnick is loud, and crazy. If you do go there, do it for a Badger or Husker game. Look me up if you do.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

Anonymous Coward

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2019, 08:39:50 PM »
Kinnick is as much fun as any in the Big Ten.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2019, 11:04:50 PM »
I haven't been to Kinnick in a few years.  Bout time I get back there for a game.  always a good time
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

Hawkinole

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2019, 12:49:45 AM »
https://247sports.com/college/georgia/LongFormArticle/College-football-2019-season-defensive-rankings-129113473/#129113473_10

Interesting, the top picked team surprised me a bit.
Iowa probably is a Top 10 defense most years especially considering how much time the offense likes to give up to the opponent. Iowa should have a good defense but there were some early departures including Anthony Nelson a 6'8" 271 lb. lineman. Josh Jackson a CB drafted by Green Bay in Round 2. And, Amani Hooker, a DB who played a DB/LB position in 2018.
I doubt Iowa has the top 2019 defense, but with plenty coming back, including DE AJ Epenesa who has been for 2-years a 2nd teamer but one of the top DEs in the Big Ten, Iowa's defense will be stalwart. I worry more about offense.
Oh, Reviewing your linked article. Chauncey Golston was 2nd team in 2018, too.

Hawkinole

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2019, 01:07:41 AM »
Kinnick is as much fun as any in the Big Ten.
I think Iowa is 5-0 against Michigan in Kinnick in the recent past. You can correct me.

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2019, 01:46:17 PM »
I think Iowa is 5-0 against Michigan in Kinnick in the recent past. You can correct me.
I believe 4 in a row, but 5 of 6

medinabuckeye1

• Legend
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2019, 12:53:36 PM »
My analysis of B1G HFA relative to Iowa from @ELA 's countdown thread:

Iowa:  There are no two ways around it, the Hawkeyes have a very unfavorable schedule.  They visit the next two best teams in the B1G-W (UW and NU) and they also play two of the best three teams from the other division with one of those being on the road.  They could still win the B1G-W though because, IMHO, none of the B1G-W teams have the team and schedule combination necessary to run the table.  If I am right, then the key for Iowa is to minimize the damage from their tough games.  They can't seriously contend for the B1G-W if they go 0-4 against M, PSU, UW and NU but they might get to Indianapolis if they go 2-2 against that group particularly if the losses are to the B1G-E schools. 

Hawkinole

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2019, 01:19:26 AM »
Iowa hasn't been able to get past Brohm's Purdue teams. Nebraska and Minnesota are on the upswing. Not so sure about Wisconsin, but Iowa seems to think Wisconsin is unbeatable. Michigan on the road. PSU anywhere in recent years has proven to be close, but unbeatable.

I continue to see this as a 5-7 Iowa team, maybe 6-6. Of course, I hope for better. The only break Iowa gets is Ohio State isn't scheduled.

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.