header pic

Perhaps the BEST B1G Forum anywhere, here at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: 2019 Ohio State Season Thread

(Read 29210 times)

MaximumSam

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Re: 2019 Ohio State Offseason Thread
« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2019, 11:09:17 AM »
Sounds like Al Washington will join the Buckeyes

MaximumSam

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2019, 11:11:56 AM »
Doubtful. What will the protests be? I’m just not seeing it.
The kid is using the race card just because he didn’t start as a true freshman and now he wants to transfer and play right away. It’s honestly despicable imo. He’s claiming Georgia is an unsafe place for black athletes and he faced discrimination daily and that’s why he’s leaving. It’s simply not true. And it’s wreckless and shortsighted on his part and just flat out wrong.
I've not heard him saying Georgia is unsafe for black people.  But one of their star baseball players was calling him the n-word from the stands during a game, and then the baseball player got kicked off the team.  Fields is also a baseball prospect.  There's no doubt that the baseball player probably had a lot of support from the baseball team and from many at the school, and will blame Fields for him being kicked off the team.  That's an ugly situation and I don't blame Fields for not wanting to be in it anymore. 

MaximumSam

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2019, 11:14:43 AM »
I have 2 thoughts so far.
1) I thought the whole point of bringing Day in as Head coach is to keep continuity, to show everyone that the ship Meyer was sailing was s till strong.

2) If OSU has owned TTUN for the last 2 decades why are we rushing to fill our staff with theirs???
As far as continuity, anyone watching can see that the defense needed a shakeup, and honestly I think part of the reason Meyer retired is that he doesn't want to can his good friends.  As far as Michigan, they have fielded some pretty good defenses, and they recruit the same areas as OSU.

bayareabadger

• Legend
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2019, 11:37:58 AM »
I feel like Mattison was hails at brilliant when he starter, and then the shine wore off. Granted, being on this board for over a decade (lord), it seems as if every Michigan reset came with a wave of promise and then gradual slip. 

MaximumSam

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #60 on: January 08, 2019, 11:50:56 AM »
I feel like Mattison was hails at brilliant when he starter, and then the shine wore off. Granted, being on this board for over a decade (lord), it seems as if every Michigan reset came with a wave of promise and then gradual slip.
LOL ain't that the truth.  I feel like people tend to overrate assistant coaches as some sort of magic men.  If Mattison just gets the defense to play sound football, he'll likely be hailed as a great messiah.  He's been coaching longer than I've been watching football, and he's had plenty of rough seasons.  But he was co-coordinator with Charlie Strong under the Urbs at Florida, in a setup that seems really similar to what they are doing now.  I was also impressed when he and Hoke took over for Rich Rod's team and turned them immediately into a competent defense.

Roaddawg

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: January 08, 2019, 01:07:33 PM »
Do not get the Mattison hire at all for Day.  Hope it works out for him the brief stay Mattison will likely have in C-Bus.  That guy is a Michigan Man from head to toe and it shocked me to see that he moved to Columbus for a title he pretty much already had in Ann Arbor.  Conflicting inof about he and Jimmy Football's relationship, but still skeptical about this hire. 

Washington moving is much more understandable, and not near the same type of hire.  Anything in that coaching slot was better than Davis and Johnson.  Would like to know know why Grinch bolted so fast, its not like his move to OU was a step up, more of a lateral move.  Day is making a huge change on the defensive side of the ball, he better hope his shake up yields immediate results or the natives in Buckeye Nation will show their fangs quick.

Good luck to Haskins, hope it works for him in the long run, not just the millions he will get in signing bonus.  I still do not see him starting immediately as a top 10 pick, and any team that tries to throw him in the mix early will only destroy his chances of success.  I would not be surprised if he is a 3 year prospect, but current NFL dollars do not wait that long, like Aaron Rogers was lucky to get, and he had way more college experience. 

TyphonInc

• Starter
  • Easily Amused
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: January 08, 2019, 05:09:27 PM »
I say that because Fields committed to 3 different teams as a recruit, went to Georgia thinking he would just win the starting job despite Georgia having a really good young QB firmly entrenched in Jake Fromm, and as soon as he didn’t win it as a true frosh he decided to transfer.
He has zero shot in hell to get the waiver to play right away. His entire argument is a baseball player there called him the n word sometime in October and Fields was scared for his life. LOL. Well that baseball player was kicked off the team and out of school by Georgia basically immediately, and Fields stayed at Georgia all the way until a week ago. And his younger sister just enrolled at Georgia and is taking classes there.
You are comparing apples to oranges. Patterson showed that Ole Miss and specifically that dirtbag Hugh Freeze misled recruits about the sanctions and penalties. Patterson wasn’t the only kid to get an immediate playing time waiver. Every kid on that team who applied for it got it.
Fields has no argument for a waiver. None. Someone called me the N word and then that someone got kicked out of school, so hey NCAA, let me transfer halfway round the country and play right away please. NCAA will laugh him out of the building.
Yah, you be the guy/organization that says his racism case is week. We all know it is, but going on record saying that is a career ender. 

Mdot21

• Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: January 08, 2019, 10:24:28 PM »
OSU got two really good recruiters, that’s for sure. 

Mattison has kind of slowed down with age, he’s not on the road as much as he used to be, but he’s still a great recruiter. Who knows how much longer he’s got left in the tank. He is 70. But if OSU can get a few solid years out of him, it’s a great hire. 

As for Al Washington. He was in Ann Arbor for less than a year. Not sure how good of a coach he is or isn’t. The LB play honestly fell off with him. Khaleke Hudson absolutely regressed, Devin Gil and Josh Ross were both very up and down, and Devin Bush was his amazing self. Bush really didn’t get any worse or better, he just kinda stayed the same. All of this sort of leads me to believe he’s probably not the best LB coach.

Washington was a hell of a recruiter though. He will kill it recruiting at OSU. Next to Chris Partridge, OSU just poached Michigan’s second best recruiter in Washington.

Brutus Buckeye

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: January 08, 2019, 11:44:10 PM »

Harbaugh picked a bad time to go on vacation. 

1919, 20, 21, 28, 29, 31, 34, 35, 36, 37, 42, 44
WWH: 1952, 54, 55, 57, 58, 60, 61, 62, 63, 65, 67, 68, 70, 72, 74, 75
1979, 81, 82, 84, 87, 94, 98
2001, 02, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Mdot21

• Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: January 08, 2019, 11:53:29 PM »
Harbaugh picked a bad time to go on vacation.

Lol. True.
Jim is slacking.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 12:38:45 AM by Mdot21 »

TyphonInc

• Starter
  • Easily Amused
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2019, 09:10:04 AM »
I saw Ryan Day at Polaris yesterday. He was on his phone so I just gave him a head nod. (Or was faking being on his phone, so he didn't have to interact with obviously excited dad, and shake hands with his germy 5 year old. 😈 )

Roaddawg

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2019, 09:23:17 AM »
OSU got two really good recruiters, that’s for sure.

Mattison has kind of slowed down with age, he’s not on the road as much as he used to be, but he’s still a great recruiter. Who knows how much longer he’s got left in the tank. He is 70. But if OSU can get a few solid years out of him, it’s a great hire.

As for Al Washington. He was in Ann Arbor for less than a year. Not sure how good of a coach he is or isn’t. The LB play honestly fell off with him. Khaleke Hudson absolutely regressed, Devin Gil and Josh Ross were both very up and down, and Devin Bush was his amazing self. Bush really didn’t get any worse or better, he just kinda stayed the same. All of this sort of leads me to believe he’s probably not the best LB coach.

Washington was a hell of a recruiter though. He will kill it recruiting at OSU. Next to Chris Partridge, OSU just poached Michigan’s second best recruiter in Washington.

I would be surprised if he stays more than two years.  He lives football, but is not a young coach any longer, and as I said is a Michigan Man which makes it even more strange that he would leave a position he was secure with to move to Columbus, to possibly finish out his coaching career.  Strange! 

TyphonInc

• Starter
  • Easily Amused
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2019, 09:30:37 AM »
So, My Buckeye Season tickets appears to be in jeopardy (Season Ticket holder '93- '18.) The Mrs. Typhon moved out over the weekend. Now this stay at home dad of 2, needs to figure out his finances, and it looks like sporting event tickets have peculated to the top of my chopping block. 

MaximumSam

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: January 09, 2019, 09:38:38 AM »
So, My Buckeye Season tickets appears to be in jeopardy (Season Ticket holder '93- '18.) The Mrs. Typhon moved out over the weekend. Now this stay at home dad of 2, needs to figure out his finances, and it looks like sporting event tickets have peculated to the top of my chopping block.
Man that sucks.  Been through that, too.  On the football side, though, I haven't been to a game in years and don't really miss it.  

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.