2019 Wisconsin Offseason Thread
header pic

College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!! The Best FREE College Football Forum on the Internet!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: 2019 Wisconsin Offseason Thread

(Read 536 times)

FearlessF

• Team Captain
  • Liked:
Re: 2019 Wisconsin Offseason Thread
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2019, 10:12:04 PM »
hydration team?
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2019, 09:15:10 AM »
Yeah, they are part of the nutrition team.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

FearlessF

• Team Captain
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2019, 01:03:18 PM »
I assumed so, but thought it was possibly the Beer guzzling team
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

Mdot21

• Starter
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2019, 01:33:39 PM »
wait, so is that 4 or 5 starting Wisconsin OL gone now with Diezten retiring?

Wonder if hot-shot 5* Logan Brown gets some playing time as a true frosh.

bayareabadger

• Starter
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2019, 01:44:28 PM »
wait, so is that 4 or 5 starting Wisconsin OL gone now with Diezten retiring?

Wonder if hot-shot 5* Logan Brown gets some playing time as a true frosh.
I think they have a pair of tackles waiting in the wings. So unless he or one of them moves to guard, maybe not that much. 
Then again, I’m fond of saying, it’s what happens between now and Sept that sets these things.

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2019, 02:49:49 PM »
Logan Brown did not enroll early. It's highly doubtful that he sees time this year, except for maybe in jumbo packages. Probably not worth burning a 'shirt over though, so 4 games max.

JD was a trooper. Played through a ton of injuries. But, last season, I think Cole Van Lanen played more snaps at LT even though JD was the "starter" at the position. And CVL turned out to be the highest graded lineman on the team. So LT is good. Beach played really well at RT when David Edwards went down. As in, really well. OL is not a concern of mine right now.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

Mdot21

• Starter
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2019, 12:38:07 PM »
Logan Brown did not enroll early. It's highly doubtful that he sees time this year, except for maybe in jumbo packages. Probably not worth burning a 'shirt over though, so 4 games max.
generally you want to redshirt every OL recruit. The STARZ system for the most part gets it right- but they whiff on rankings, especially at OL- which generally speaking is a crapshoot- but Brown sure as hell looks ready to rock and roll day one from a physical standpoint. IF he's really that dude, then it makes no sense to redshirt him because he won't be staying 5 years anyway.

Anonymous Coward

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2019, 10:04:48 PM »
In a world where recruiting rankings are correct in aggregate, redshirting everyone is also the most reliable way to fight back. It's been a central characteristic for teams like Iowa, MSU and UW who have accomplished big things despite average recruiting rankings.

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2019, 11:18:54 PM »
In a world where recruiting rankings are correct in aggregate, redshirting everyone is also the most reliable way to fight back. It's been a central characteristic for teams like Iowa, MSU and UW who have accomplished big things despite average recruiting rankings.
I view this as a condescending post. #AMIRNG??
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

FearlessF

• Team Captain
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2019, 11:40:11 PM »
could possibly be condescending, but I wouldn't take it that way

redshirting everyone was Tom Osborne's MO.  Freshman team and then start seeing the field in mop up time

Juniors and seniors started after thousands of practice reps, game reps, and countless hours in the weight room.  Mature players that executed w/o mistakes win games.

Anonymous Coward

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2019, 12:13:59 AM »
I didn't think it was controversial and meant it dispassionately. Also, as a strategy, it's smart and goes hand-in-hand with atypical coaching stability. What's the negative part? The average recruiting rankings? I meant them as matters of fact, without attaching an attitude.

Meanwhile, what's the acronym "AMIRNG?"
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 12:19:30 AM by Anonymous Coward »

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2019, 07:29:50 AM »
Maybe redshirting should be a "central characteristic" for Michigan too. AM I wRoNG?
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

FearlessF

• Team Captain
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2019, 10:57:07 AM »
well, then you'd be lying to those 4 and 5 stars that you promised playing time immediately

Anonymous Coward

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2019, 12:44:45 PM »
Maybe redshirting should be a "central characteristic" for Michigan too. AM I wRoNG?
(1) Boy did you take this sensitively, but you don't have to ... unless you didn't trust that there wasn't anything offensive in what I said. At least in intent, but also in facts, I still think that's true.

(2) Harbaugh's mostly hasn't had that opportunity (and hasn't been around long enough for us to know if he'll eventually even have that interest).

At least in his first years, Michigan had to burn redshirts to put out Hoke-era fires. But like Fearless said, teams with high recruiting rankings maybe never attempt the all-redshirt style. And with the outliers (of those coaches/teams with high recruiting rankings but also redshirt more than most) they probably have outlier continuity (coaches who've been around 6+ years, to spitball a number).
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 12:51:48 PM by Anonymous Coward »

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2019, 01:32:03 PM »
(1) Boy did you take this sensitively, but you don't have to ... unless you didn't trust that there wasn't anything offensive in what I said. At least in intent, but also in facts, I still think that's true.

(2) Harbaugh's mostly hasn't had that opportunity (and hasn't been around long enough for us to know if he'll eventually even have that interest).

At least in his first years, Michigan had to burn redshirts to put out Hoke-era fires. But like Fearless said, teams with high recruiting rankings maybe never attempt the all-redshirt style. And with the outliers (of those coaches/teams with high recruiting rankings but also redshirt more than most) they probably have outlier continuity (coaches who've been around 6+ years, to spitball a number).
1. We all know the facts. There is no reason to state them here, other than to remind those fans of schools not named Michigan or OSU that those other schools are inferior. It happens a lot here, but nearly as much as it used to. Anyway, that is where my reaction stemmed from.

2. I thought Harbaugh was hired to rebuild a program - not to win immediately. Maybe I am mistaken. Anyway, you rebuild by redshirting and developing players. Michigan is not the equal of OSU (Forget STARZ - think evaluation). This could certainly change, now that Urban is gone, of course.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

Mdot21

• Starter
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2019, 02:03:25 PM »
Absolutely. One of my biggest pet peeves with Harbaugh is his willingness to just burn redshirts.
Some though make sense. 5* guys with freakish ability like Rashan Gary or DPJ aren't staying 4 years let alone 5. Redshirting players like that does you no good. Everyone else is a different story however. His willingness to burn redshirts on averagely talented players like Karran Higdon or J'Marrick Woods is another story.

FearlessF

• Team Captain
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2019, 03:02:59 PM »
I remember being shocked a couple years ago when Michigan burned something like 17 redshirts on one recruiting class.  Probably 2 years ago.

I brought it up at the time here because I was curious.  Didn't seem to me at the time that those 17 true frosh could get enough playing time to make it worth their while.  Now, with the 4-game rule, that many shirts wouldn't be burned

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2019, 03:44:33 PM »
Well, I guess when you make promises, you should keep them. If you promise early PT and then tell a kid he's going to use his 'shirt, well, the transfer portal beckons.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

Anonymous Coward

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2019, 04:00:57 PM »
1. We all know the facts. There is no reason to state them here, other than to remind those fans of schools not named Michigan or OSU that those other schools are inferior. It happens a lot here, but nearly as much as it used to. Anyway, that is where my reaction stemmed from.

2. I thought Harbaugh was hired to rebuild a program - not to win immediately. Maybe I am mistaken. Anyway, you rebuild by redshirting and developing players. Michigan is not the equal of OSU (Forget STARZ - think evaluation). This could certainly change, now that Urban is gone, of course.
1. The first part may be common knowledge but we discuss less often how these two things are chunked together. That, assuming they can, coaches/teams either go nuts on recruiting rankings or go nuts on redshirts. There are many examples of coaches accomplishing neither but very few modern examples (I'm still trying to find one) of a coach executing both.
2. I can't imagine he wasn't hired to do both. Also, there's no denying his rebuilding efforts (recruiting sales pitch weighs heavily here) would have been worse off if he hadn't won 10 games that first year, and those first classes were crucial.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 04:11:08 PM by Anonymous Coward »

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2019, 05:25:22 PM »
I don't agree with #2 at all. 

You are selling promise - and yes - even at Michigan. You are the coach who built Stanford by telling kids they could be a part of something. You could sell THAT. 

"Kids, YOU are gonna go down in history as the class that made Michigan into "Big Blue" again." 

Kinda like King Barry selling that to his 1990 class. Those kids did it. Who wouldn't want to be a part of that?
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

Anonymous Coward

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2019, 08:03:16 PM »
Big Blue was never a Michigan nickname. That's IBM.

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2019, 08:07:17 PM »
When I first started posting at the old CFN back in 2001, we had only a few Big Ten posters.

Me, Mr. TacO, Big Blue and a few others. Big Blue was a Michigan fan who not only went to UM, but he was a 30-year season ticket holder. Maybe he had it wrong? Before that, I always thought of Kentucky when I heard that phrase. But he used it a lot.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

Anonymous Coward

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2019, 08:50:28 PM »
He did have it wrong. There's a section of Michigan fans who arrived after the mistake became popular and haven't noticed or are too stubborn to give it up. Then again, at some point a mistake like this probably gets absorbed as the new reality, sommaybe that's where we are now.

bwarbiany

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Today at 09:56:03 AM »
Ahh reminds me of old times... Our board's version of Godwin's Law:

No matter the original topic, all threads, if allowed to go long enough, become about Michigan or Ohio State. 

Anonymous Coward

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Today at 10:47:46 AM »

No matter the original topic, all threads, if allowed to go long enough, become about Michigan or Ohio State.
I'm that kind of troublemaker. So the odds are definitely higher if I'm in the conversation. But this time I think I'm in the clear for not starting it. Which, by 10-year-old logic, is something. 🙃

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Today at 10:48:13 AM »

Yep, thought of that too. That stops now on this thread though.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • All Star
  • Liked:
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

Amazon:
Support the Site:
Please Search Amazon from here!