header pic

Perhaps the BEST B1G Forum anywhere, here at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: 2019 Michigan Season Thread

(Read 74509 times)

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Re: 2019 Michigan Offseason Thread
« Reply #210 on: March 21, 2019, 08:46:40 AM »
Not if it risks further injury. I'd rest him until the last 4 games and then play him.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #211 on: March 21, 2019, 08:50:26 AM »
Is it truly legal under NCAA rules for a donor to buy an international vacation for possibly 100 plus football players and staff that is not offered free of charge to nonathletes?

I realize it doesn't seem to have advanced Michigan football, but if we did that at Iowa, Wisconsin would be screaming.
It must be permitted, but I don't understand the nuts and bolts of it. On the surface, it looks like an extra benefit, not afforded to the student body. But, nobody's in NCAA jail, so it must be OK.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

Anonymous Coward

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #212 on: March 21, 2019, 11:43:08 AM »
Is it truly legal under NCAA rules for a donor to buy an international vacation for possibly 100 plus football players and staff that is not offered free of charge to nonathletes?

I realize it doesn't seem to have advanced Michigan football, but if we did that at Iowa, Wisconsin would be screaming.
Yes. It's just a gift that the NCAA allows (arguably educational), occurring in a window the NCAA allows. Anyone that wants can do the same.

Anonymous Coward

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #213 on: March 21, 2019, 11:45:38 AM »
Not if it risks further injury. I'd rest him until the last 4 games and then play him.
If that's the medical report, any coach in America would do the same. But meniscus tears, especially mild ones, are like a gnat in the face. He had an excellent senior season *with* the injury, for example. The only serious part is experiential - that he's missing spring camp because of operation timing.

Mdot21

• Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #214 on: March 21, 2019, 01:24:29 PM »
Yeah, except it doesn’t. His injury isn’t that serious. 
Mario Manningham had that injury and he got his knee scoped during the season and played like 4 weeks later. 

betarhoalphadelta

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #215 on: March 21, 2019, 03:36:24 PM »

The donor didn't buy it. He just donated to the school at the time when Michigan took their players on this trip. Purely coincidental.

Mdot21

• Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #216 on: March 21, 2019, 06:04:54 PM »
The donor didn't buy it. He just donated to the school at the time when Michigan took their players on this trip. Purely coincidental.
The least schools could do is give their unpaid laborers a free trip during spring break when they actually have time off.

They get more out of that than they do being forced to play in some BS [insert soul less corporate sponsor here] who gives a shit bowl game that actually intrudes on their “school” time.

MrNubbz

• Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #217 on: March 21, 2019, 06:38:19 PM »
 Evans is suspended and off the team, there is a small chance he could be back however 
Did not know Evans was coming back,but he is exciting.Kind of reminded me of Curtis Samuel with out the surrounding cast
Suburbia:Where they tear out the trees & then name streets after them.

Anonymous Coward

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #218 on: March 21, 2019, 07:51:34 PM »
Did not know Evans was coming back,but he is exciting.Kind of reminded me of Curtis Samuel with out the surrounding cast
There's no guarantee he's coming back. But his situation is 100% academic bad kid decision making, he's still enrolled to fix it, and if he does so before running out of eligibility, he'll rejoin the team. 
He'll obviously miss spring camp. We don't know if he'll miss fall camp and/or fall season and/or next spring camp. So there's an awful lot up in the air.

Mdot21

• Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #219 on: March 21, 2019, 10:40:07 PM »
He’s not coming back for sure. He’s got a chance to come back though. 
Evans similar to Curtis Samuel but still not quite as talented. He’s like a Curtis Samuel Lite. Maybe a tiny bit smaller and not nearly as fast. I believe Samuel ran 4.35 at the combine. Evans probably runs 4.5 ish. Which is plenty fast. Just not elite speed like Samuel had.

Cincydawg

• Oracle of Piedmont Park
  • Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #220 on: March 22, 2019, 09:06:40 AM »
Is there any discernible grumbling about the state of the program with Michigan fans (beyond what is always present)?

What if they finish 8-5 this year?

Anonymous Coward

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #221 on: March 22, 2019, 11:21:45 AM »
I'd say general satisfaction. It takes some doing to be one game from the Big Ten East crown at the end of November. Of course there's disappointment about not finishing from there but the overall feeling is that the right people are in charge and that consistently being in this position makes breaking through (at some point) a statistical inevitability. Harbaugh gets a lot of credit from us for climbing out of the RR/Hoke hole as fast as he did. And for recognizing his team's weaknesses and making strong hires to compensate.

Anonymous Coward

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #222 on: March 22, 2019, 11:23:37 AM »
Finishing 8-5 this year would change that. But the same would be true for any fan base that sees its team favored in every game only to lose 5 times.

Cincydawg

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #223 on: March 22, 2019, 11:32:16 AM »
I'm just curious as to when the seat would get really hot.  Obviously, 8-5 is not likely, 9-4 is perhaps somewhat possible, and 10-3 is not hard to see happening.

I see 4 regular season games that COULD be losses.  Lose half of those and a bowl game ...

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.