header pic

The B12 (XII) Forum, home of the 'Front Porch, y'all' at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Major Applewhite out at U of H ?

(Read 76942 times)

Gigem

• Starter
  • Liked:
Re: Major Applewhite out at U of H ?
« Reply #84 on: January 18, 2019, 10:55:08 PM »
Bitter?  Lulz.  Nope, I'm good. :)

A&M's administration did what it thought best, and most Aggie fans I know in real life are happy or at least content with the move, although my i s c & a aggie wife still doesn't much care about the SEC teams y'all now face, when she grew up with the Aggies playing all of the major  Texas schools instead.

I miss the rivalry and would like to see the game played again, but I don't think the logistics are ever really going to set up for it to be played annually anymore.  Eventually I'm sure it will pick back up as a semi-regular home-and-home series, played early in the season,  maybe two years out of every 8 or 10.  I'll look forward to it when that happens.
You just seem overly concerned about the supposed "100 year decision" any time conference realignment is mentioned.  Of course it's mostly bullshit because 100 years is a lot of time for stuff to happen.  Heck, I don't even think the SWC existed 100 years ago.  But it will probably last through my lifetime and yours too.  I think there is a lot of shock from the longhorn side that Texas didn't get hardly anything of what " they" wanted (PAC-10 or maybe even B1G) and A&M was able to make a move on their own recognizance compared to schools like oSu and Tech who had to toe the party line and do what they were told.  Sure, they got the LHN but fast forward a few years who really cares?  Pretty soon every school will have something similar all stream-able via whatever service of the day is the best.  
Playing all the "major" Texas schools?  Who is that exactly?  Texas and ???  Baylor sucks and will probably always suck, Tech who has NEVER even once won a sole conference championship, TCU who will disappear into the crapper and play to their real identity once Patterson is gone?  
Even though I was happy in the Big XII I think the matchups in the SEC are so much more meaningful.  I would rather play Auburn or Miss St any day over Tech or Baylor.  Yes, Alabama and LSU are murder but so was Texas and OU.  Their turn in the gutter will come, sooner than later I suspect based on how long they've been playing at a high level.  I don't miss playing Iowa St, Kansas, Colorado, or Baylor.  I kinda miss playing Tech, those were some barn burners and probably more of a rivalry at times than Texas/A&M.  

I think the game is on a 20 year hiatus and we're on year 8 so 12 to go unless we meet in a bowl game...

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: January 19, 2019, 02:11:28 PM »
... Playing all the "major" Texas schools?  Who is that exactly?  Texas and ???  Baylor sucks and will probably always suck, Tech who has NEVER even once won a sole conference championship, TCU who will disappear into the crapper and play to their real identity once Patterson is gone?  
Even though I was happy in the Big XII I think the matchups in the SEC are so much more meaningful.  I would rather play Auburn or Miss St any day over Tech or Baylor.  Yes, Alabama and LSU are murder but so was Texas and OU.  Their turn in the gutter will come, sooner than later I suspect based on how long they've been playing at a high level...
You do realize, Gig’em, that Arkansas and South Carolina have not won SEC titles, despite being in that conference like 25 years.   Mississippi State hasn’t won one since 1941 and Ole Miss since 1963.  Add to that the 2 or 3 terrible G5 or FCS you guys have been playing every year since 2012 or so and there’s not a lot more substance to your schedule than you had in the SWC or Big 12.  Unless there’s some dignity is losing to better teams.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: January 19, 2019, 04:50:05 PM »

You do realize, Gig’em, that Arkansas and South Carolina have not won SEC titles, despite being in that conference like 25 years.   Mississippi State hasn’t won one since 1941 and Ole Miss since 1963.  Add to that the 2 or 3 terrible G5 or FCS you guys have been playing every year since 2012 or so and there’s not a lot more substance to your schedule than you had in the SWC or Big 12.  Unless there’s some dignity is losing to better teams.
No kidding.  If anyone sounds bitter here, it's pretty clearly Gigem.  What a weird take, getting offended that my Aggie wife would be more interested seeing her team playing old regional rivals, rather than Mississippi schools she doesn't give a crap about.   

Gigem

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: January 19, 2019, 07:43:05 PM »
I'm perfectly aware of everything you have just listed, but I have faith.  Arkansas has played for the title 4 times so they've been close.  I believe A&M is in a much better position to compete for the title than each school you listed for obvious reasons.  

« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 07:53:27 PM by Gigem »

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: January 19, 2019, 11:58:52 PM »
Okaaaay, Gig’em.  I will give you this: you’re not the only person in this world who imagines SEC competition is superior.  

If OU loses to Iowa State the Sooners drop like a rock.  If Alabama loses to Ole Miss, Ole Miss vaults into the Top Ten.  This double standard without merit is irksome to say the least.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: January 20, 2019, 10:04:59 AM »
the only way to change it is with merit.  Iowa State needs to schedule and beat Ole Miss on the field

but, as we know, this is impossible because Ole Miss and others in the SEC refuse to schedule such games
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

Gigem

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #90 on: January 20, 2019, 01:10:13 PM »
Okaaaay, Gig’em.  I will give you this: you’re not the only person in this world who imagines SEC competition is superior.  

If OU loses to Iowa State the Sooners drop like a rock.  If Alabama loses to Ole Miss, Ole Miss vaults into the Top Ten.  This double standard without merit is irksome to say the least.
I’m truly bewildered by your post. I don’t believe the SEC competition is superior and have avoided pushing that agenda. In fact by pointing out that Arkansas and USC have never won it you pretty much said it, not me. I think that each conference has great teams and as exhibited by Clemson whipping Bama each conference has teams that compare to the very best. 
What I said was that I enjoy the matchups we have now better than most of the ones in the Big 12 and I specifically mentioned Baylor, TCU, Kansas, and Iowa State. 
Seriously Longhorn fans complaining about poll bias is up there with ND fans complaining about it. It mostly shakes out in the end. 

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #91 on: January 20, 2019, 01:40:50 PM »
Longhorn helmet fans CAN'T be complaining about poll bias after finishing in the top 10 with 4 losses
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #92 on: January 20, 2019, 03:22:57 PM »
I’m truly bewildered by your post. I don’t believe the SEC competition is superior and have avoided pushing that agenda. In fact by pointing out that Arkansas and USC have never won it you pretty much said it, not me. I think that each conference has great teams and as exhibited by Clemson whipping Bama each conference has teams that compare to the very best.
What I said was that I enjoy the matchups we have now better than most of the ones in the Big 12 and I specifically mentioned Baylor, TCU, Kansas, and Iowa State.
Seriously Longhorn fans complaining about poll bias is up there with ND fans complaining about it. It mostly shakes out in the end.

You’re generally quite tactful, Gig’em, and I commend for that but honestly, like three posts up, you denigrated A&M’s former SWC and Big 12 opposition.  If that’s not an implication that you think you’re SEC competition is superior to your former competition, I don’t know what is.  Why even disparage Baylor, Tech and Kansas St?
But when I say you’re not alone in thinking SEC competition is superior, I bewilder you.
Well, if that bewilders you, I guess we’re at an impasse.
Enjoy the SEC, enjoy disparaging SWC and Big 12 teams while denying that you think SEC competition is superior, enjoy being bewildered.  I’ll take a time out from this particular wildly bewildering conversation.

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #93 on: January 20, 2019, 03:30:14 PM »
Longhorn helmet fans CAN'T be complaining about poll bias after finishing in the top 10 with 4 losses
Oh yeah.  That’s never happened before.
Except for well last year when Auburn did it but I guess the unfair perception of the SEC kept anybody from raising their eyebrows until Texas did it so thank you for proving my point.  

Gigem

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #94 on: January 20, 2019, 07:41:25 PM »
Well Hooky everything you see is burnt orange tinted and everything I see is maroon tinted so I agree that we're at an impasse.  

I enjoy our games in the SEC but I appreciate what you guys are saying about the regional rivalries.  I hope we're all still kicking in a dozen or so years when A&M and UT take the field against each other again and then maybe we can really have something to argue about.  

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #95 on: January 20, 2019, 10:25:28 PM »
Oh yeah.  That’s never happened before.
Except for well last year when Auburn did it but I guess the unfair perception of the SEC kept anybody from raising their eyebrows until Texas did it so thank you for proving my point.  
you are welcome, sir

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #96 on: January 20, 2019, 11:33:49 PM »
Well Hooky everything you see is burnt orange tinted and everything I see is maroon tinted so I agree that we're at an impasse.  

I enjoy our games in the SEC but I appreciate what you guys are saying about the regional rivalries.  I hope we're all still kicking in a dozen or so years when A&M and UT take the field against each other again and then maybe we can really have something to argue about.  
You are a good guy, my friend. Always level-headed, never angered.  Hope I can get down to Brazoria county this auditing season to buy you a beer.  I may have to kick somebody out of the Angleton trip. That may be the closest I can get.
PS - I hate the Celtics, the Red Sox and the Patriots.   Why can’t we build a wall around Boston?

Gigem

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #97 on: January 21, 2019, 03:21:44 AM »
That we can agree on my friend.  

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.