header pic

The B12 (XII) Forum, home of the 'Front Porch, y'all' at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Week 4 - Conference Play Begins!

(Read 7244 times)

Thumper

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
Week 4 - Conference Play Begins!
« on: September 17, 2017, 06:21:47 PM »

West Virginia

Kansas
11:00 AM
Memorial Stadium , Lawrence, KS

Texas Tech

Houston
11:00 AM

TDECU Stadium, Houston, TX

#16TCU

#6Oklahoma State
2:30 PM
Boone Pickens Stadium, Stillwater, OK

#3Oklahoma

Baylor
5:30 PMMcLane Stadium, Waco, TX

KSU has a bye week and Texas plays ISU the following Thursday night in Ames.

TT is a 7 pt dog to Houston.  Here is a chance for the Red Raiders to take a step up.  A win would be big for the conference as well.

The TCU @ OSU looks like a barn burner.  WVU and OU should win handily.

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
Re: Week 4 - Conference Play Begins!
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 10:38:02 AM »
Anytime someone says "OU should win handily" - I get a bit nervous  :bluegrab:

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 11:37:43 AM »
Sooners will be pretty heavily favored in every remaining game except perhaps Bedlam.  

There are worse problems to have... 

Mr Tulip

• Learn to love or leave me. Either one you wanna do.
  • Player
  • Non Serviam
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 01:23:59 PM »
Anytime someone says "OU should win handily" - I get a bit nervous  :bluegrab:
While I understand the sentiment, if OU's OL is really what people say it is, Baker Mayfield should have ample time to stand in one place until a receiver comes open. That shouldn't take too long anyway, unless Baylor all of a sudden learns advanced coverages. 
Baylor has a couple of hard working DL players, and a bunch of willing participants in the secondary. They're largely still high-schoolers who haven't caught up to the speed of the collegiate game. They'll be in vaguely the right area, but not near enough to contest a reception. Whenever they rotate coverage or attempt to blitz from the secondary, they telegraph it badly. 
Baylor's offense got more credible with Zach Smith as QB, but got very much more one dimensional. I don't see Baylor's offense exceeding tOSU's point total. Whatever that is, the Sooner offense could toss a couple more TD passes to offset it. 
This game is reaching the "it's played by 18-22 year olds, and has a pointy ball that bounces funny" stage. Stuff happens, but it's tough to imagine a surprise that alters the outcome much.

Thumper

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 09:22:50 AM »
Like I said, OU beat Baylor "handily".
:confuse:

Sorry to stress you out Cuz.  
Gotta give it up to the Bears & Matt Rhule.  Well played.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 07:47:20 PM by Thumper »

Mr Tulip

• Learn to love or leave me. Either one you wanna do.
  • Player
  • Non Serviam
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 12:09:23 PM »
Anyone can have a bad game, but it's undeniable that the Bears are improving. I still don't think their ceiling is tremendously high, but fears of an "0 fer" season are probably a little overblown.

OU's secondary got ran silly. They rarely seemed to know where they were supposed to be.

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 12:44:48 PM »
Anytime someone says "OU should win handily" - I get a bit nervous  :bluegrab:
It almost sounds like Cousin Fred has become a believer in the Evil, Capricious Football Gods.

TexasFan

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2017, 12:50:38 PM »
Its good to see TCU and Patterson win.   TCU beat OSU rather easily Saturday. 

longhorn320

• Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2017, 01:45:55 PM »
Its good to see TCU and Patterson win.   TCU beat OSU rather easily Saturday.  
TCU looked very impressive last Sat
So I guess if TCU beats OU in the regular season they will have to beat them
again to be the champion or vice versa
what a bunch of crap
all it will do should they split is keep the Big 12 out of the playoffs

unless  youre Ohio St - then winning the conf champ isnt required
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 01:48:15 PM by longhorn320 »
They won't let me give blood anymore. The burnt orange color scares the hell out of the doctors.

MikeDeTiger

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2017, 02:01:13 PM »
You mean "unless you're Alabama," in which case you don't have to win the conference, and the entire history of the poll criteria will be changed for a rematch.  

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2017, 02:52:36 PM »
I guess if TCU beats OU in the regular season they will have to beat them again to be the champion or vice versa what a bunch of crap

all it will do should they split is keep the Big 12 out of the playoffs
Expect this to happen right away in the first year.  The folly of the Big 12 always has a way of revealing itself right out of the box.

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2017, 05:50:52 PM »
It almost sounds like Cousin Fred has become a believer in the Evil, Capricious Football Gods.
No, dear jcg, you of course know well that's a preoccupation exclusively reserved for you burnt orange types, with your cries of "Doomed" and overall lack of froth even when you win coz you don't want to piss off the EFCGs by overtly exposing your hookem-inflated egos, but the joke of course is on you as there's just no way y'all can cover up that Texas sized arrogance that just constantly exudes from every crevice of your collective cowbrained unconscious, and will continue to seep forth unchecked, even after years of inexorable five and sevening and general gnashing of those bovine molars.  The EFCGs will always just be a Texas mental kind of thing.

On my much more humble Sooner end of things, I do indeed get nervous when someone predicts an easy win for OU, because ... well everyone here knows good and well why.  OU going into a game with big odds is sometimes an invitation to the nightmare that seems uniquely ours.  Give a Sooner a big favorable and we'll just kind of kick back and say, oh, yeah, we've got this, and that's when disaster is most likely to strike.  It's not Alabama, Tennessee, Auburn or Ohio State that gives us problems ... it's TCU, Texas in their down years, Baylor lately, and Texas Tech on occasion, all teams we should otherwise beat, that cause the biggest Sooner headaches.  I've been watching this beloved program of ours for nearly 50 years, and I've seen too many Sooner eggs laid right there on the field when they're predicted to have an easy win.  My first OU game attended in Norman was the 23-3 upset by Kansas in 1975, a year we beat Pittsburgh, Miami (Fla), Texas, Colorado, Nebraska and Michigan. 

In those moments, the O in OU becomes un huevo, and we in Soonerdom all have to eat it raw.  It's kinda like that Frazier ending song,

Hey baby I hear the blues a-callin Tossed Salads and Scrambled Eggs ... [stuff deleted] ... scrambled eggs all over my face!  OU has left the ... stadium.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 05:52:42 PM by CousinFreddie »

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2017, 09:00:14 PM »
... OU going into a game with big odds is sometimes an invitation to the nightmare that seems uniquely ours.  Give a Sooner a big favorable and we'll just kind of kick back and say, oh, yeah, we've got this, and that's when disaster is most likely to strike.  It's not Alabama, Tennessee, Auburn or Ohio State that gives us problems ... it's TCU, Texas in their down years, Baylor lately, and Texas Tech on occasion, all teams we should otherwise beat, that cause the biggest Sooner headaches.  I've been watching this beloved program of ours for nearly 50 years, and I've seen too many Sooner eggs laid right there on the field when they're predicted to have an easy win.  My first OU game attended in Norman was the 23-3 upset by Kansas in 1975, a year we beat Pittsburgh, Miami (Fla), Texas, Colorado, Nebraska and Michigan...
You know what Shakespeare said as Friar Tuck in Romeo & Juliet: if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck and smells like rose then by any oher name what you're talking about are ECFGs and it's all just si man-ticks.

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2017, 11:01:27 PM »
I believe it was Karl Marx, after failing in his quest to immigrate to Texas to set up an opium den near the Alamo after he fell on hard economic times back in the old world, who opined that EFCGs were the opiate of the future Longhorn Nation.  What Marx couldn't predict however was the severe shortage of psychiatrists in the state that would eventually leave the mental condition of ever-worried hand-wringing Texas fans without any recourse in the realm of logic or rationality ... driving them to explore the dark corners of the human psyche in ways Marx never imagined, conjuring dark and vindictive images of capricious gods who ruled the gridiron in the most fearful of ways.  Then in more recent times, as the crisis deepened, with first the decline of Mack, then the further spiral into the abyss with Charlie, and now the ecfgs themselves only know what stardust Peewee will bring, and how he might threaten the essence, indeed the very bovinity of the Nation.  Scary times.  Time to cling to your guns and most importantly your religion. 

So, I get it.  In these hard times, obeying the EFCGs are the only answer for Texas, and believe me I'm not one to judge.  Freedom of religion is one of our most important rights.

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.