header pic

The B12 (XII) Forum, home of the 'Front Porch, y'all' at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: 2018 ORANGE BOWL #1 Alabama vs #4 Oklahoma CFP rd 1

(Read 10928 times)

CWSooner

• Team Captain
  • Liked:
Re: 2018 ORANGE BOWL #1 Alabama vs #4 Oklahoma CFP rd 1
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2019, 02:15:44 PM »
Tribalism.

Tribes have to get their excuses straight to validate their beliefs.

Whatever happened to independent, critical thinking?
In all of human history, most independent, critical thinkers who expressed their independent, critical thoughts have met unhappy ends.
Play Like a Champion Today

longhorn320

• Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2019, 02:57:40 PM »
In all of human history, most independent, critical thinkers who expressed their independent, critical thoughts have met unhappy ends.
except for John Adams and of course John Wayne 
They won't let me give blood anymore. The burnt orange color scares the hell out of the doctors.

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2019, 03:00:56 PM »
OU faced the same dismissive SEC comments when they beat Bama in a similarly decisive way in the Sugar five years ago.  I guess they have to 'splain away any possible evidence that the SEC is not the be-all end-all.

Loved the UT fans shouting S-E-C at the end of the game yesterday.  Classic!

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2019, 03:09:06 PM »
OU faced the same dismissive SEC comments when they beat Bama in a similarly decisive way in the Sugar five years ago.  I guess they have to 'splain away any possible evidence that the SEC is not the be-all end-all.

Loved the UT fans shouting S-E-C at the end of the game yesterday.  Classic!
Just a simple matter of insecurity on display.  Sad, really.

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2019, 03:26:33 PM »
You know....

I hate to admit it but Texas actually invented the S-E-C chant.  

I know that probably sounds like Texas hubris but it's true.  Way back when Arkansas elected to leave the SWC for the SEC, their football team (which had been good) had a very bad season.  And when Texas beat Arkansas, the Texas fans mocked the Hog fans with the chant of S-E-C, S-E-C.  As a matter of fact, nearly every fan base in the SWC did the same thing.  I'm just assuming Texas did it first because we're the smartest.

The next year, Arkansas' last in the SWC, they were a bit better so they used the S-E-C chant as payback when they won.

Don't believe me.  Here it is: http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21994162/history-fun-obnoxious-inescapable-sec-football-chant

From the article: Arkansas had several rivals in the Southwest Conference, but none chafed Hogs fans quite like Texas. A year earlier, Texas fans had mocked Arkansas with the "S-E-C!" chant as the Longhorns thumped the Razorbacks by 32 in Austin.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2019, 04:13:54 PM »
You know....

I hate to admit it but Texas actually invented the S-E-C chant.  

I know that probably sounds like Texas hubris but it's true.  Way back when Arkansas elected to leave the SWC for the SEC, their football team (which had been good) had a very bad season.  And when Texas beat Arkansas, the Texas fans mocked the Hog fans with the chant of S-E-C, S-E-C.  As a matter of fact, nearly every fan base in the SWC did the same thing.  I'm just assuming Texas did it first because we're the smartest.

The next year, Arkansas' last in the SWC, they were a bit better so they used the S-E-C chant as payback when they won.

Don't believe me.  Here it is: http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21994162/history-fun-obnoxious-inescapable-sec-football-chant

From the article: Arkansas had several rivals in the Southwest Conference, but none chafed Hogs fans quite like Texas. A year earlier, Texas fans had mocked Arkansas with the "S-E-C!" chant as the Longhorns thumped the Razorbacks by 32 in Austin.
That was my freshman year at Texas-- 1990-- and I thoroughly enjoyed chanting SECSECSEC at the departing hogs as we walloped them 49-17 in Austin on their way out the door.
A smaller but just as dedicated crew of Longhorn fans delivered the mocking SECSECSEC chant to the Aggies in College Station when Texas beat them 27-25 and earned Eternal Scoreboard over the Ags.

Gigem

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2019, 12:15:12 AM »
I've always wondered if Arkansas would consider coming to the Big 12?  They've never won the SEC in football despite playing for the title 4 times and really haven't had much success at all.  Their pipeline of recruits from Texas seemed to dry up when the Big 12 started up long ago.  I guess we don't have any resident Arkansas fans around to voice their opinion but I've often thought that Ark and ND should be the two teams to get the XII back to 12.  I doubt it would ever happen but it's intriguing.  I think if memory serves only two teams have ever left the SEC, GT and I think maybe Tulane or some smaller school like that.  

BTW:  Texas is lucky A&M left for the SEC when we did, I think we would have put 3-4 solid butt whoopings on Texas in the years that followed our departure from the XII.  It's a damn shame too, we deserved a little retribution on Texas for the '00s.  

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2019, 01:47:25 AM »
That’s like just your opinion, man.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2019, 08:59:02 AM »
I've always wondered if Arkansas would consider coming to the Big 12?  They've never won the SEC in football despite playing for the title 4 times and really haven't had much success at all.  Their pipeline of recruits from Texas seemed to dry up when the Big 12 started up long ago.  I guess we don't have any resident Arkansas fans around to voice their opinion but I've often thought that Ark and ND should be the two teams to get the XII back to 12.  I doubt it would ever happen but it's intriguing.  I think if memory serves only two teams have ever left the SEC, GT and I think maybe Tulane or some smaller school like that.  

BTW:  Texas is lucky A&M left for the SEC when we did, I think we would have put 3-4 solid butt whoopings on Texas in the years that followed our departure from the XII.  It's a damn shame too, we deserved a little retribution on Texas for the '00s.  
I guess we'll never know.  It was your "100-year decision" so it's you that will have to live with it.

Gigem

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2019, 04:36:49 PM »
That’s like just your opinion, man.
:72:
You’ve got to admit that the 00s were good to Texas. And the dip that followed seems to be relatively short if Herman has them playing as good next year as they were late this year. 

bamajoe

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2019, 05:05:27 PM »
I never said that. I said that the underdog wins sometimes which is an absolute fact. It happened here. I don't know why that is controversial. Don't accuse me of saying something I didn't say.

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2019, 05:50:11 PM »
I never said that. I said that the underdog wins sometimes which is an absolute fact. It happened here. I don't know why that is controversial. Don't accuse me of saying something I didn't say.

Your retort would be a tad stronger if you would maybe reference which one of us you're talking to and what we said you said that you're taking umbrage to.
As it is, Gig'em, Junior and I are talking about A&M's move to the SEC and you're standing to the side claiming you never said that and we're like WTF?  Who was even talking to him?

bamajoe

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2019, 05:59:26 PM »
Sorry. I was responding to the post about the Georgia didn't want to be there excuse. I was credited with having made that representation.

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2019, 06:26:55 PM »
Sorry. I was responding to the post about the Georgia didn't want to be there excuse. I was credited with having made that representation.
Oh that was me.   I’m your huckleberry.
So Junior (utee94) was lamenting that certain groups of folks were not giving Texas props for beating Georgia and I retorted that those were only the folks at texags and “maybe” (I did say “maybe”) you.
Why you?  Why did I drag you into this?  I’ll tell you why.
Over on the SEC forum CD posted his predictions about the SEC bowl season and you added your opinions as well.  And, bamajoe, you did badly.  Like 3-7.  Stay away from Vegas, amigo.
But one thing that particularly galled me was you saying something like “31-28?  Ha!  Texas ain’t got 5 players who could start for Georgia. That’d be more like 45-21.”
Then there was the whole Sugar Bowl is a disgrace thread because you imagined Texas wasn’t near as worthy or competitive as Michigan or Penn State.
With unnecessarily ignorant and demeaning comments like that you struck me as just exactly the kind of dickhead who might make excuses for Georgia’s loss.
But if I got you wrong and you’re not THAT kind of dickhead, then I sincerely apologize.

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.