header pic

The B12 (XII) Forum, home of the 'Front Porch, y'all' at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: 2018 ORANGE BOWL #1 Alabama vs #4 Oklahoma CFP rd 1

(Read 10910 times)

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
Re: 2018 ORANGE BOWL #1 Alabama vs #4 Oklahoma CFP rd 1
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2018, 01:41:45 PM »
Yay Billy Sims!  That was the second time we played Nebraska that year, losing the first, winning the second, like vs Texas this year.  I hear that Billy was his typical larger than life self at the ceremony in NYC; maybe his Sooner Magic can rub off on Kyler:

https://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/ousportsextra/heisman-notebook-kyler-murray-enjoys-everything-about-once-in-a/article_c02e9bb6-27c0-5819-b580-2253d73e8cde.html

« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 01:44:33 PM by CousinFreddie »

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2018, 05:15:19 PM »
the 78 Sooner team with Sims and Lott was awesome

Osborne hasn't figured out how he beat them in Lincoln or how he hung that close in Miami later

Barry stated that was his best team ever or at least his best offensive team
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2018, 07:11:52 PM »
What I always most admire about Osborne was that his very best teams came at the end of his career.  How many coaches have done that?  Usually even the great coaches peak and then kind of slide down toward the mean as their careers wind down.  

Coach Osborne instead ended 13-0, and only lost 2 games in his last 4 years.  Has anyone else even come close to that? 
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 07:15:50 PM by CousinFreddie »

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2018, 08:13:33 PM »
Osborne had his best teams at the end because he got better as he went along.  He had some luck recruiting, he had some luck with his nemesis, Switzer, no longer around.

His biggest asset was his willingness to evolve and change.  Offense and defense.

He finished on top because of 25 years of stress.  Maybe similar to Meyer
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2018, 09:12:16 PM »
TO > UM

ALA2262

• Player
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2018, 12:40:40 PM »
In the total history of the Heisman the Heisman winners team has gone 28 and 28 in their bowl game
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heisman_curse

Also of note is that Billy Sims OU team won their bowl game in 1978
My favorite!
1992Gino Torretta#1 Miami Hurricanes1993 Sugar Bowl (National Championship Game)#2 Alabama Crimson TideL, 13–34

Torretta called his third and final time out with 9:38 left. In the THIRD quarter! Went to the bench and asked for glasses and toilet paper because he didn't know whether to sh!t or go blind. Threw a Pick 6 on the second play after the time out.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 12:55:36 PM by ALA2262 »

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2018, 12:57:36 AM »
Congrats to Bama!  Good luck in the final.

Gigem

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2018, 05:18:04 AM »
Wow, Alabama started strong but OU fought their way back into the game. No telling how it would’ve ended if OU didn’t spot them a 28 pt lead midway through the 2nd quarter. 

Good luck in the finals. 

TexasFan

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2018, 09:06:24 AM »
I'm glad Bama won.

CWSooner

• Team Captain
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2019, 09:20:52 PM »
Congrats to Bama, although I'm sick of hearing the SEC hype on ESPN.

When it was 28-0, I feared a repeat of the 2004 (season) Orange Bowl, where the undefeated and uber-talented Sooners collapsed after facing a little adversity.

This time, an undersized, maybe undertalented, certainly undercoached defense hung in and fought to the end, and the offense finally got cranked up and made a game of it.

Bama and Clemson are clearly the best two teams in the country.  But I am really tired of the "Georgia's right there with 'em" talk in the national media.
Play Like a Champion Today

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2019, 10:57:25 AM »
Congrats to Bama, although I'm sick of hearing the SEC hype on ESPN.

When it was 28-0, I feared a repeat of the 2004 (season) Orange Bowl, where the undefeated and uber-talented Sooners collapsed after facing a little adversity.

This time, an undersized, maybe undertalented, certainly undercoached defense hung in and fought to the end, and the offense finally got cranked up and made a game of it.

Bama and Clemson are clearly the best two teams in the country.  But I am really tired of the "Georgia's right there with 'em" talk in the national media.
I guess Texas might have helped a little on that last bit, but of course those that have an agenda to push are already parroting the "Georgia didn't want to be there" line of bullshit, despite those same mediots claiming for the previous 4 weeks that Texas was small and weak and that no B12 team could possibly hang with a Georgia team even if the Bulldogs only had 50% motivation to be there.  
Anyway, condolences on the loss to Bama.  That team is just unbelievably good.  Again.

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2019, 11:28:32 AM »
I guess Texas might have helped a little on that last bit, but of course those that have an agenda to push are already parroting the "Georgia didn't want to be there" line of bullshit, despite those same mediots claiming for the previous 4 weeks that Texas was small and weak and that no B12 team could possibly hang with a Georgia team even if the Bulldogs only had 50% motivation to be there.  

That viewpoint is basically just held exclusively by TexAgs (and maybe bamajoe).  The general consensus of most fans (even Georgia fans and SEC fans) is that Texas played a good game that wasn't as close as the final score.
I like that Texas held Georgia to 72 yards rushing.  Nobody saw that coming.
The SEC and Big 12 are different animals.  What works in one, doesn't work always work in the other.  It doesn't necessarily mean one is better than the other.  In this particular instance, Texas caught a favorable match up.  Georgia may have been the only one dimensional offense Texas faced all year.  Shut down the run, force Fromm to beat you with his arm and Bob's your uncle.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2019, 11:35:01 AM »
That viewpoint is basically just held exclusively by TexAgs (and maybe bamajoe).  The general consensus of most fans (even Georgia fans and SEC fans) is that Texas played a good game that wasn't as close as the final score.
I like that Texas held Georgia to 72 yards rushing.  Nobody saw that coming.
The SEC and Big 12 are different animals.  What works in one, doesn't work always work in the other.  It doesn't necessarily mean one is better than the other.  In this particular instance, Texas caught a favorable match up.  Georgia may have been the only one dimensional offense Texas faced all year.  Shut down the run, force Fromm to beat you with his arm and Bob's your uncle.
Lots more than that.  Mediots the nation around are already parroting it.  As well as a couple of posters on the B1G board that are NOT bamajoe.
Doesn't matter a lick.  A win's a win. But the people whose egos (or corporate agendas) are tied up in believing that Texas had no business beating Georgia, are already cranking up the excuse machine.  Same as it ever was.

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2019, 01:23:10 PM »
Tribalism.

Tribes have to get their excuses straight to validate their beliefs.

Whatever happened to independent, critical thinking?

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.