header pic

The B12 (XII) Forum, home of the 'Front Porch, y'all' at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: 2018 ORANGE BOWL #1 Alabama vs #4 Oklahoma CFP rd 1

(Read 10884 times)

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Re: 2018 ORANGE BOWL #1 Alabama vs #4 Oklahoma CFP rd 1
« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2019, 11:03:49 AM »
Marq, I remember you mentioning that before.  That's really cool!

(and no, PSU fans, although the president presented UT with a nice plaque, he didn't decide the national champions that year.  It was the AP and Coaches' polls that declared Texas as the champs.  PSU was offered a slot to play Texas in the Cotton Bowl, and ducked it, so this conversation need go no further :) )

longhorn320

• Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: January 10, 2019, 11:40:22 AM »
Marq, I remember you mentioning that before.  That's really cool!

(and no, PSU fans, although the president presented UT with a nice plaque, he didn't decide the national champions that year.  It was the AP and Coaches' polls that declared Texas as the champs.  PSU was offered a slot to play Texas in the Cotton Bowl, and ducked it, so this conversation need go no further :) )
Jo Pa was quoted after the UT victory that no team could have had two 70 yard drives against us as Texas did in their game
well buddy you had a chance to find out and chickened out
My fondest memory of that Arkansas game was joining a crowd at the airport that night to welcome the team back home
I can still see Street hanging out the cockpit window with hookem horns signs
The drag was wall to wall drunks and all the cops just let everyone alone
no burning cars or couches just a bunch of happy fans
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 08:46:36 AM by longhorn320 »
They won't let me give blood anymore. The burnt orange color scares the hell out of the doctors.

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: January 10, 2019, 06:55:04 PM »
Joe Pa was a hero to some but he never meant jack to me.   Nasally, sniveling, whiner sounded just like Joe Flynn the stupid captain in McHale’s navy and the nemesis in all of Kurt Russell’s late ‘60s Disney teen flicks.  Joe Pa epitomized everything my East Texas redneck cousins said about yankees.

And now the man is dead and remembered more for shielding a heinous pedophile than for anything his stupid Nittany Lions ever did on the field.

So double double F him and his worthless opinions.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 07:18:03 PM by CharleyHorse46 »

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: January 10, 2019, 07:21:24 PM »
BTW I met his son in the Common Interest karaoke bar circa 1999 or so when the old man was coming down regularly and cosying up to Mack and DKR.  I was unimpressed but civil.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: January 10, 2019, 08:03:49 PM »
thank God you were civil
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: January 11, 2019, 10:47:29 AM »
I did, of course, calculate it would only take 23 hits to render him unable to fight back.  

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: January 11, 2019, 11:41:49 AM »
We used to spend a lot of time at CI around that same time.  And Slick Willie's pool hall next to it.  That's about 2 or 3 blocks from where I grew up, and where my parents still live.

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: January 11, 2019, 11:52:47 AM »
Ever hear me sing George Benson’s Masquerade or Billy Paul’s Me and Mrs Jones.  I don’t do many things well but I can do those things so well it’ll make older sister girls speak in tongues like they’re at a Pentacostal revival.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: January 11, 2019, 03:12:55 PM »
I must have missed that.

"Suspicious Minds" is my go-to.  And my i s c & a aggie wife sings "Crazy" better than Patsy Cline could ever dream.

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: January 11, 2019, 03:28:02 PM »
No way?   Crazy?   That's a great song.  IINM, Willie wrote it.

I have an interesting story about another Patsy Cline song, "After Midnight," but I'm currently on my work computer so I'd best not linger.  I'll tell it from my iPad mini where my big fingers make typos by the dozen.

Mr Tulip

• Learn to love or leave me. Either one you wanna do.
  • Player
  • Non Serviam
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: January 11, 2019, 05:16:30 PM »
I remember "Common Interest" fondly.

I'd go with "Patience", "Jack and Diane", or "Wicked Game" depending on the moment.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: January 11, 2019, 10:41:29 PM »
I don't sing aloud.

Everyone seems to agree it's obviously for the best
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: January 12, 2019, 02:15:02 PM »
I have an interesting story about another Patsy Cline song, "After Midnight," but I'm currently on my work computer so I'd best not linger.  I'll tell it from my iPad mini where my big fingers make typos by the dozen.
As some of you may know I spent most of the ‘80s & early ‘90s seducing or trying to seduce topless dancers, but what I may have never shared is how put off I was the first time I went to a topless bar.
It was 1979, I was a senior in high school and had just turned 18.  There was this kid in one of my classes who was just as homely and nerdly as I was but he had been held back so he exercised an air of authority, wordliness and sophistication.  All he did was talk about how he drank beer, went to clubs, picked up women, seduced them all, went to topless clubs and X rated movies.
He was a disturbing guy and I would not’ve believed half the things he said had he not also been an incorrigible “smell my finger” kind of guy.   You know the type.  They usually have their first digits up your nostrils when they ask you to smell their fingers.  I hadn’t had much experience.  For all I know he had stuck his fingers in a can of tuna, or a catbox, or both.  Nevertheless it gave him just enough credibility that a naive guy like me hesitated to call him a liar.
When he found out I had turned 18 too he started begging me to go out with him so he could show me the town.  I finally relented one Friday so he picked me up in his mom’s Fairmont Futura and we went to The Yellow Rose.  Yes, it’s been there that long.
So we go in there and the place disgusts me.  It’s full of old, sweaty blue collar working stiffs, old hippies left over from the ‘60s, motorcycle gangs and freaking cowboys traveling through from one small town to another.  They’re all smoking and perving the girls who are nearly all chubby, bubbly blondes.  The music is rock.  Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, Blondie, whatever they were playing back then.
Absolutely nothing appealed to me but my friend strutted in there like he was Hugh Hefner.  It’s a testament to how young and cheap and nerdly we looked that no dancers hit us up, only a tired, reluctant server.   My friend ordered us Miller Lites “Less Filling Taste Great” and we proudly showed our IDs.  We were men.

We sat there for 90 minutes, with my friend pointing out dancers he had nailed and how he’d like to do the ones he hadn’t.  Of course, none of them acknowledged his presence.  I was sitting there brooding, wondering whether I was a latent homosexual or a guilty Christian or a picky bastard when the blaring rock stopped and Patsy Cline’s “After Midnight” came on.

A dark headed waif in red slinked through the curtain, cartwheeled across the stage and ended up in a one handed spreadlegged handstand she held for 40 seconds.

The foul cigar my friend had pushed upon me fell from my lips where I had to swat out a potential fire.  My friend said, “This one’s too skinny.  There ain’t enough cushion for the pushin.  I’d break her in two.”  I told him to shut up.

And so I had my first crush on a topless dancer, the mesmerizing Megan.

I can’t remember much more about her except that she wore about 8 pairs of progressively smaller panties and each time she took one pair off the place fell silent cause we all thought we might see something we shouldn’t.  

That and the fact that she hung out with me that night even though I only had about $13.

Yep.  Ain’t been scared of or disgusted with topless bars since then, and “Walking After Midnight” still makes me smile and chub.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: January 12, 2019, 03:43:33 PM »

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.