header pic

The B12 (XII) Forum, home of the 'Front Porch, y'all' at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: SEC vs Big 12 bowl game edition

(Read 13783 times)

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
Re: SEC vs Big 12 bowl game edition
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2018, 04:32:10 PM »
Expansion to 6 or 8 teams solves most meaningful arguments.  

Would the networks/schools/conferences be willing to cut back to a 10-game regular season so we can do the 8-team playoff?

I think the SEC already plays 2 "gimme" games anyway.  All other conferences play at least one.

Mr Tulip

• Learn to love or leave me. Either one you wanna do.
  • Player
  • Non Serviam
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2018, 04:36:17 PM »
The Sugar Bowl is why I like bowl season.

Texas built its defense to play against the spread teams in the Big 12. The crux is a rock DT plus sundry lighter but faster "tweener" type players at just about every position. They line up in crazy places in an attempt to scramble pre-snap reads either by the QB or the OC. When the ball is snapped, players go every which way through any gap available. Coverages have to be hybrid and disguised - otherwise the Big 12 QBs and receivers will just dice them up.

UGA has the strength advantage. In a straight up fight, the bigger players would just shove Texas out of the way. If Texas doesn't find success with a schematic advantage, it will be a long night of watching the Bulldogs well, bulldog their way down the field - eating clock and scoring points.

The Big 12 doesn't have anything like Georgia in it. I like this matchup if nothing else just to see how the styles translate.

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2018, 04:51:25 PM »

Texas defense vs. Georgia offense = Texas + 10

Texas offense vs. Georgia defense = Texas + 28

I give Texas a fighting chance on defense, but barely.

I give Texas no chance on offense.  The Texas OL is putrid, but in the Big 12 you can skate by with that.  Not against Georgia.  The Texas OL will be sitting on their asses a half-second after each snap.

Just killed me when OU would line up 3 in the trenches, and still blow right past Texas 5 O-lineman.  Pitiful.

If Herman is going to bring his University of Houston offensive game plan to the Sugar Bowl, then Georgia is going to put on a defensive clinic.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2018, 05:05:22 PM »
in terms of 'fair' i agree..... but.  ain't 'fair' and never has been.  UGA had the opportunity to control their own destiny and they failed.  not fair, but they had an opportunity to take 'fair' out of it and they didn't.  that's a helluva lot more fair than the mid major ND getting in over the mid major UCF.
UGA had 2 opportunities
LSU 38 - UGA 16
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

Cincydawg

• Oracle of Piedmont Park
  • Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2018, 06:49:47 PM »
I also think Kirby Smart is still learning how to be head coach, coupled with a lot of young players who are learning how to play.

I figured "next year" was THE year.

Of course, I often think that and have since 1981.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2018, 07:51:48 PM »
you're not as old as some Cubs fans
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

Cincydawg

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2018, 04:15:42 PM »
you're not as old as some Cubs fans
I'm older than most.

rolltidefan

• Global Moderator
  • Starter
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2018, 05:17:02 PM »
Hurts wasn't no slouch...I think he earned 2 MNC rings all by himself before Tua took over IIRC.  At least one that I know of (and yes I'm too lazy /don't care to look it up on google).  Tua IMO is a much better player but Hurts is a solid player and game manager just like 'Bama's other NC teams.  
fwiw, hurts lead us to the title game 2 years ago, when watson had the amazing 4th qtr comeback. we lost that one, but we were ahead when hurts walked off the field with 2 min left.
he also lead us to the title game last year, when tua took over at half.

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2018, 07:27:09 PM »
His name alone is pretty intimidating ...

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2018, 09:26:27 PM »
I'm older than most.

I'm also proud of this fact

longhorn320

• Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2018, 10:04:55 PM »
They won't let me give blood anymore. The burnt orange color scares the hell out of the doctors.

Gigem

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2018, 04:08:04 AM »
Like the Sugar Bowl is nothing to play for ...
I mean, sure, they’re the best team of the current era, but a Sugar Bowl win will always a worth going all out for.  Just think of all those graduating seniors, to go out on a Sugar Bowl win is still a biggie.
In fact this was how Stoops went out (as a head coach), on a big Sugar Bowl W over Auburn.  Always the best way, going out a winner.
This exchange reminded me of the other thread where JCG was bitching about Mack only winning 10 games a year at Texas.  Like that wasn't good enough, he had to win a Conference Championship.  So Saban claimed that his team was down because they expected to play for the MNC and instead got dropped to the Sugar Bowl.  You see the irony in that right?  

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2018, 08:09:31 AM »
So Saban claimed that his team was down because they expected to play for the MNC and instead got dropped to the Sugar Bowl.  You see the irony in that right?  
Yes it was a pitiful excuse.  An inexcusable excuse.  I didn’t have an opinion one way or another on Saban before this game other than he’s had amazing success, but I found him to be disappointing in that one.  Why not just grow a sack and admit you got beat?  Is it really so hard.  If you can’t get up for the Sugar Bowl against a helmet team, one that already holds the H2H series lead on your ass, I mean what in the actual f—-?

Shiner

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2018, 08:16:21 AM »
Saban is the Bill Beilichick of the college ranks.

They both win at high rates...... and both are incredibly unlikable humans.

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.