header pic

The B12 (XII) Forum, home of the 'Front Porch, y'all' at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: OU at WVU

(Read 8578 times)

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Re: OU at WVU
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2018, 12:43:52 PM »
they have, just not to this extent
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2018, 01:58:04 PM »
Part of it is also a result of the way the refs call the game.  They rarely call offensive holding on passing plays, even when defenders are being tackled to the ground by o-linemen.  This obviously results in more offensive yards and more scoring.  I guess the league likes it that way, because they continue to overlook it.  

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2018, 03:00:07 PM »
Part of it is also a result of the way the refs call the game.  They rarely call offensive holding on passing plays, even when defenders are being tackled to the ground by o-linemen.  This obviously results in more offensive yards and more scoring.  I guess the league likes it that way, because they continue to overlook it.  

That and the fact that if a tackler has a head he’s probably going to be called for targeting.
I bet there wasn’t a Big 12 defense this year that wasn’t handicapped by half-game suspensions to their best defenders.

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2018, 03:11:50 PM »
Furthermore there are smart coaches and idiot savant offensive coaches.

Smart coaches have some consideration for their defense and enough sense to know that controlling the clock with their offense mitigates the amount of time their defense has to be on the field.

Idiot savant offensive coaches think there’s nothing more to the game than outscoring the opposition so they score as quickly and as often as they can without any consideration to the adverse effect of their defense never catching its breath.

The Big 12 has more idiot savant offensive coaches than anybody else.  Most have some kind of Leach connection and none have ever sniffed an MNC or ever will.

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2018, 03:22:13 PM »
The only thing that amazes me is how these teams coached by idiot savant offensive coaches can still recruit 4 star recruits on the defensive side of the ball.  If I were one I wouldn’t touch a team like that with a ten foot pole.

longhorn320

• Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2018, 03:37:07 PM »
does anybody play offense in the Big 10

Only two Big 10 teams in the top 25 in total offense

The Big 12 has 4
They won't let me give blood anymore. The burnt orange color scares the hell out of the doctors.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2018, 03:45:03 PM »
ohio st does

and against the #1 defense
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2018, 03:54:50 PM »
sooners couldn't score 60+ on WVU?

Buckeyes put 60+ on Michigan

question:  Will the Buckeyes jump the Sooners in the ranking?

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2018, 04:11:22 PM »
No am not a fan of it either.  I grew up watching the Selmons, Rod Shoate et al shut their opponents down and would still prefer it that way.

Hard to fight city hall.

But ya know, with joe Montana etc in the nfl there was a time when passing ruled too ... but now lately it’s been more defense (eg the Ravens) oriented.  Not totally but D does matter rather bigly.  Maybe college will find a way back? 

Said hopefully ...

longhorn320

• Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2018, 04:13:17 PM »
ohio st does

and against the #1 defense
Not much defense today
They won't let me give blood anymore. The burnt orange color scares the hell out of the doctors.

longhorn320

• Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2018, 04:15:21 PM »
sooners couldn't score 60+ on WVU?

Buckeyes put 60+ on Michigan

question:  Will the Buckeyes jump the Sooners in the ranking?
of course they will just like years past

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2018, 04:22:51 PM »
I’m not so sure.  This isn’t TCU but a clash of two helmets, and _IF_ OU ends beating a helmet, they probably have a shot to stay in front of OSU.  This is a team afterall against which an OU flag was planted midfield in the Horseshoe just last year, and also the Buckeyes have had some truly stinko games this year.  OU’s only loss was via a last minute FG in a rivalry game etc etc.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2018, 06:51:43 PM »
I can't help but laugh at all the snooty B1G posters going on and on about the B12's lack of defense, and then they deliver THAT complete shitfest in their "biggest game of the year."

LMGDMFSBAO

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2018, 07:00:37 PM »
well, the AfroMan isn't a B1G guy

and I wasn't going on and on, just stirring the pot and giving explanations of the NCAA rules giving more help to offenses

but, I will agree about Michigan's defense not getting on or off the bus today

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.