header pic

The B12 (XII) Forum, home of the 'Front Porch, y'all' at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Kansas vs Texas

(Read 8675 times)

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
Re: Kansas vs Texas
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2018, 09:32:40 PM »
Well I guess the CCG is a match made in heaven for the B12.  OU v Tx for the title.  

They should have split OU/Tex when the conference was first formed, it would have probably been better than what happened with the N/S split after the first few years.  
11 conference championships later for OU, I think this all worked out pretty well.  Next week the OU-Texas game is an official version of what happened with the RRS between about 2000-2009.  Then the North went away and things centered on Oklahoma and Texas teams, although not including Texas.  Now Texas is back and so the RRS climbs back up into relevance again.  So be it, and it’s time to school those arrogant bovine bastages again.  Proper order has returned.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 11:09:50 PM by CousinFreddie »

TexasFan

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2018, 09:26:47 AM »

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2018, 12:21:58 PM »
I know it can't happen, but it would be very sweet to have the Big 12 champ game played in the Cotton Bowl
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2018, 01:00:19 PM »
Yup, that would be awesome.  JerryWorld sucks, at least for college football games.

Gigem

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2018, 01:38:35 PM »
11 conference championships later for OU, I think this all worked out pretty well.  Next week the OU-Texas game is an official version of what happened with the RRS between about 2000-2009.  Then the North went away and things centered on Oklahoma and Texas teams, although not including Texas.  Now Texas is back and so the RRS climbs back up into relevance again.  So be it, and it’s time to school those arrogant bovine bastages again.  Proper order has returned.
Yeah but seeing as how the Big xii didn’t last is that the best outcome?  Not saying it would have turned out any differently if the divisions were changed up but I think in hindsight it made sense. And yes I certainly remember the early years when nu and A&M were much better than OU and Texas. I’m sure somebody could dig up an old article about how strong the north division was in the first few years. 
It’s a shame that the xii didn’t last long enough to see OU dip down to a mediocre team. You’ve got to admit OU has been on an amazing 20 year run. 

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2018, 01:58:45 PM »
The Big 12 wasn’t actually killed but it was irreparably injured through selfishness and ugliness.

As a Texas fan I will admit DeLoss Dodds was the biggest a-hole in that or any room.

But schools like Nebraska, A&M and Missouri were culpable too.  They all thought unequal revenue sharing was fair.  Even in the months before they left, they all pushed hard for their greater share of the pie, only to later disingenuously cite unequal revenue sharing as a motivating factor in their decision to leave.

Most of the teams that stayed didn’t have a lot of other opportunities.  David Boren is a big talker, but from my outsider’s perspective a million miles away, I credit OU’s AD Joe Castiglione as being a stabilizing force in a Big 12 entropy.

Now Texas seems to have a reasonably intelligent person at AD in Chris Del Conte.  Hopefully things won’t ever get that bad again.

An alliance between the Big 12 and Pac-12 wouldn’t surprise me.

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2018, 06:06:34 PM »
It’s a shame that the xii didn’t last long enough to see OU dip down to a mediocre team. You’ve got to admit OU has been on an amazing 20 year run.
I’m sure from your anti Sooner perspective it’s a shame, but why would you think it would be mine?  A&M didn’t care enough about the XII to stick around because they had a better option.  I don’t blame them but the point is we’re fans of our teams not of conferences.
OU is on its third amazing 20-ish year run.  That’s usually as long as it lasts and then we have a regrettable decade in between. Like Texas just had.
I’m of course hoping against that, but you know, it’s like the stock market.  It’s been up for nearly a decade, and I don’t know about you but I’ve moved my stocks to conservative ones because no way this lasts forever.

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2018, 07:00:02 PM »
I’m on a tiny iPhone at the moment, Cousin Fred, so I can’t easily quote you but you said something about being the fan of a team rather than a conference.  I agree but the funny thing is that you’re talking to an Aggie.

Gigem and Shiner may be reasonable individuals with commendable perspectives but there is a vocal minority of Aggies who derive value from losing to Alabama every year and imagining that their place in the SEC West makes them better than most of the teams in the top ten.

Go into TexAgs.  You’ll find posters convinced Ole Miss would curb stomp OU.

It’s such an amusing delusion.

Gigem

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2018, 07:40:08 PM »
Count me out of that group.  I want Alabama to lose to UGA 100-0 and then go 0-12 next year and the year after.  

As far as conference re-alignment, A&M didn't start that fight.  NU, who IMO was a very big loss for the XII followed by CU who was also a big loss jumped ship first, with Texas flirting with the PAC during the whole time.  

My perspective on OU was simply based on the fact that what was good for OU wasn't necessarily good for the conference as a whole.  I'm still not even sure that the outcome would have changed as far as OU dominating the conference but I'm convinced that Texas would have won a few of those re-match's in the CCG had they been in different divisions.  Heck, CU waylayed Texas around 2001 in a CCG rematch IIRC.  

PS...My motivation for OU going into a slump is pure a simple revenge.  I wanted to extract some payback, and I wanted A&M to do it at the expense of OU and Texas.  You could argue that we left the conference one year too soon and it's possible we could have been 12-0 in 2012 had we stayed in the Big 12.  We did after all finally kick the shit out of OU and win a cotton bowl.  It's a travesty that that A&M team wasn't able to go to a better bowl and an even worse travesty that Sumlin wasted JM's talents with no defense in '13 and even sadder that JM wasted his own talents with substance abuse and reckless behavior.  
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 08:02:46 PM by Gigem »

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2018, 07:49:48 PM »
Yep. It’s hard to beat somebody twice.  Texas couldn’t beat Nebraska twice in 1999 or Colorado twice in 2001.

Horns did beat Colorado twice in 2005 though.

It’ll be real interesting to see how the CCG turns out.  Texas is a 5.5 point dog and Herman is 12-1-1 as a dog with 9 outright wins.

Texas isn’t great but they’re all around sufficient and I don’t like OU’s unstoppable offense and lousy defense.  They offend me as a football fan.  They must be stopped, they should be stopped and I believe they will be stopped.

Gigem

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2018, 08:10:22 PM »
Yep. It’s hard to beat somebody twice.  Texas couldn’t beat Nebraska twice in 1999 or Colorado twice in 2001.

Horns did beat Colorado twice in 2005 though.

It’ll be real interesting to see how the CCG turns out.  Texas is a 5.5 point dog and Herman is 12-1-1 as a dog with 9 outright wins.

Texas isn’t great but they’re all around sufficient and I don’t like OU’s unstoppable offense and lousy defense.  They offend me as a football fan.  They must be stopped, they should be stopped and I believe they will be stopped.
Texas did it in '05 and IIRC OU did it in '00 vs KSU and Wild Bill.  

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2018, 08:58:28 PM »
They must be stopped, they should be stopped and I believe they will be stopped.
Probably will be, but I just don’t expect it will by this mediocre, at times good, but mostly mediocre 4th Q-phobic Texas team, who by this time must be providing offerings of burnt bongos to the ecfg’s to please oh please oh please make this game only three quarters long, just for us, just this year, just this one time, against our arch rival.  45 minutes, and we’re done, and by gar given the storied history of Texas that should be enough for a conference title, dagnabit!

longhorn320

• Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2018, 09:59:53 PM »
Cousin you better hope that UT does not beat the sooners twice in one year

cause if they do.........

well lets just say you better hide any sharp objects you might have around the house

hell you might even have to move to Canada

all the presure is on the sooners cause if we lose then we played 500 against ya

but if you lose.........
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SA1SxZoFmOU
They won't let me give blood anymore. The burnt orange color scares the hell out of the doctors.

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2018, 10:07:09 PM »
Ha thanks for the laugh 320 ... nice clip

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.