header pic

The B12 (XII) Forum, home of the 'Front Porch, y'all' at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Texas Tech vs Texas

(Read 9779 times)

TexasFan

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
Texas Tech vs Texas
« on: November 07, 2018, 12:29:43 PM »
This weekends game is a make or break for both teams imo.   Another loss by Texas and the season is basically done and not a very good one.  Texas should win out with its remaining schedule albeit the bowl game.   Texas Tech on the other  hand?   Tech is about as bad as it gets.   They give up 5+ touchdowns per game and that is their norm.    And Kliff Kingsbury is fighting as usual to keep his job after five seasons.   There is no reason Tech should not be winning 8-9 games per year.    The Vegas line has Texas as a 1.5 - 2 point favorite which is not very comforting if your a Texas fan.  

Drew4UTk

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Re: Texas Tech vs Texas
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 12:36:23 PM »
watching the Okey vs TT game the other night, i saw something in the background.... and something i had forgotten completely about... it tickles me to this day!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2JPnJO6mhE

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 02:37:57 PM »
Of course the play of this series will always be the Crabtree catch, at least in my experience although of course I have no idea of the history of these two prior to the Big XII forming. 

People forget that Texas Tech was actually 8-0 and ranked into the top 10 coming into that game, just like Texas was.  Their win was not a fluke anymore than Texas beating USC on the last play of the game in the MNC game a few years earlier was a fluke.  Instead, both those plays and victories were some of the great all-time moments of college football in my book

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjI1Cub_ofo

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 04:37:29 PM »
Of course the play of this series will always be the Crabtree catch

For me, the play of the series will always be the Blake Gideon drop.

Mr Tulip

• Learn to love or leave me. Either one you wanna do.
  • Player
  • Non Serviam
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2018, 04:42:20 PM »
What no one remembers about the "Crabtree Catch" is that Texas played exactly nine minutes of competent ball.

Tech worked their magic for 45 minutes. Texas rallied to a lead during the 4th quarter after being down 29-13. They had given up a safety and a pick six. Texas had no business even being close in that game.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2018, 10:52:37 PM »
What no one remembers about the "Crabtree Catch" is that Texas played exactly nine minutes of competent ball.

Tech worked their magic for 45 minutes. Texas rallied to a lead during the 4th quarter after being down 29-13. They had given up a safety and a pick six. Texas had no business even being close in that game.
I can't really agree with that.  Texas was most certainly the better team that year.  This was a game where bad luck and bad officiating cost Texas a ton.  Orakpo went out with a hyperextended knee after being tackled from behind by a Tech o-lineman when he had a clear shot on the QB, no call, and that was maybe the 5th or 6th time that had happened all night.
While you could call holding on just about any play, that night you need only call "tackling the d-linemen to the ground on a pass play" then Texas wins it going away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM28K2wg8dY

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2018, 11:09:57 PM »
First downs Tech 31 UT 18
Total yards Tech 579 UT 374

Pretty lopsided. 

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2018, 11:39:08 PM »

Pretty lopsided.
Pretty easy to get a ton of yards when they're letting the o-linemen tackle the d-linemen on almost every play.
Feel free to think what you will, though.  It doesn't seem like you watched the game and, even if you did, there's not much reason for you to remember it like I would. I certainly don't recall Bedlam that year although I most likely watched it. *shrug*

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2018, 11:59:32 PM »
I watched it.  I don’t watch all of Texas’ games, but that one had a lot riding on it.  It was very memorable with Tech controlling the first half but then Texas coming back as they often did back in that era.  The ending was jaw dropping.  How could I forget that game.  It was far more consequential than Bedlam.  A more comparable game (in terms of meaningfulness) that year was TT visiting Norman.  Did you watch that one?  Talk about lopsided.  That defined the term.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 12:03:56 AM by CousinFreddie »

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2018, 12:15:00 AM »
I watched it.  I don’t watch all of Texas’ games, but that one had a lot riding on it.  It was very memorable with Tech controlling the first half but then Texas coming back as they often did back in that era.  The ending was jaw dropping.  How could I forget that game.  It was far more consequential than Bedlam.  A more comparable game (in terms of meaningfulness) that year was TT visiting Norman.  Did you watch that one?  Talk about lopsided.  That defined the term.

Didn't watch that game, normally I would have but I must have had something else going on.  I saw the score of course either later that day or the next.

MikeDeTiger

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2018, 10:34:35 AM »
I can't compare the Crabtree catch to TX/USC-NC-2005 at all, as flukes or non-flukes.

I remember both of those games vividly.  Texas actually had the correct defense called for the play and would have won with a simple tackle, but the safety utterly and completely whiffed and Crabtree went on to spark a sea of black rushing the field.  

USC had no answer for VY once he decided to quit sitting in the pocket for 5 seconds and take off running if the first options were covered.  The Trojans picked their poison.  They could cover the routes and maybe even David Thomas on the dumps occasionally, and frustrate Vince.  Or they could come after him in which case he would (and did) burn them with a hot read.  Down the stretch Pete Carroll had seen enough.  Rush 4 and drop 7 in coverage.  Vince was simply too good of an athlete to not to pick up a string of yards on successive plays.  The Trojan linebackers weren't at all in a position to do anything about him, they were playing off, and Young took the ground they gave.  

That was a team/qb who took what the defense gave in the the clutch, with a roughly equal amount of talent.  Tech/UT was a much more of a fluke play to my mind, because UT had the final play covered, only the safety failed to execute.  He was right there and just forgot his position as a bracketing safety is to stay behind your mark and converge with your help.  Instead he went in front with his help, which is....I don't know what to say about that....and it was off to the races.  

Maybe I am misunderstanding the comparison.  I just don't see how those things are similar.  

Drew4UTk

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2018, 10:43:33 AM »
i don't recall the game, but i sure recall that (or maybe it was a prior catch that put TT in position) Crabtree making an almost impossible grab on a perfectly placed pass... it dropped out of bounds but in a way he could reach over, still in bounds himself, and catch it with the defender behind him... i recall thinking to myself "that was as close to a perfectly indefensible play as will ever exist and it was executed to perfection"... 

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2018, 11:50:28 AM »

Pretty lopsided.

Champions can lose the game inside the 20's and still win.  As you indicate, Texas lost the game between the 20's, but still almost won.  Ifs and buts, candy and nuts, but if Blake Gideon secures that gimme pick Texas was in the title game.

MikeDeTiger

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2018, 04:55:38 PM »
If total yardage and first downs were absolute indicators of anything, LSU would've been one of the worst teams in the country this decade instead of one of the best.  

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.