header pic

The B12 (XII) Forum, home of the 'Front Porch, y'all' at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Worst Officiating Ever

(Read 16064 times)

Gigem

• Starter
  • Liked:
Re: Worst Officiating Ever
« Reply #70 on: November 26, 2018, 04:17:53 PM »
The play with Sternberger that was called incomplete was a bang-bang play... I could see it go either way.  It was called incomplete on the field so I don't think there was enough compelling evidence to overturn it.  Had it been called a catch/fumble... I don't think that would've been overturned either.  Don't see too many people complaining about the call...

I think the more glaring issue is the 4th and 18 play where our receiver caught the ball on his back a full yard short of the stick.  That wasn't a 1st down and wouldn't given LSU the win.  But tough shit... The call went in our favor and we'll take it.  What LSU fans won't admit is that it would've taken TWO more calls like that in our favor to balance out the beneficial spots LSU got in regulation that went against us.  

Sometimes refs screw a game.  This is the first time in years that I can remember them screwing a game in our favor.  It's about damned time.  
If it's the same play I'm thinking of I've seen elsewhere that the yellow line was off by 2 yards which is why it appeared that he did not get the first down when in reality he had it by at least a yard.  

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: November 26, 2018, 04:21:11 PM »

Aggies had some fortuitous moments, but they won the game fair and square.

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: November 27, 2018, 01:16:55 AM »
Mostly square

Entropy

• Starter
  • Liked:

MikeDeTiger

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: November 27, 2018, 11:04:42 AM »
LSU's record miraculously drops to 12-3 after winning the game 3 times and then finally losing it.  

MikeDeTiger

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: November 27, 2018, 11:29:24 AM »
Aggies had some fortuitous moments, but they won the game fair and square.
If by "fair and square" you mean "with referees looking for ways to benefit one team and screw the other one," then sure.
Bad calls happen.  It's part of the game.  I'm probably the first to remember a blown call that helped LSU win the 2014 A&M game.  Would guarantee you Aggies remember it.  There have been others, although LSU sure does seem to find itself on the wrong end of them more often than not, especially against one certain team.  
If it were just one thing, I wouldn't like it and it would stick in my craw, but I'd understand that stuff happens.
This was 5 calls (two of which I think were ultimately correct even if they weren't treated appropriately by the refs, 3 that may cost me a new TV) where the referees went out of their way either to look for things that hurt LSU, or to choose not to review things that could have helped LSU.  Let's say all the calls were tough ones, but ultimately "correct."  Now a "correct" call essentially means you can justify the call as correct, because it's pretty rare that a close, controversial call is 100% one way or another.  You can normally find rulebook coverage to make a judgment call go either way.  And a "good" call is one that falls within that rulebook coverage.  The LSU complaint is that EVEN IF that is all true, every judgement call went in favor of the Aggies, and that in and of itself shows something that looks an awful lot like bias.  You'd think one of those close judgement calls would go to LSU.  It was the one-sided nature of the ref's "fair perspective" that rankles.
I think the thing that gets me the worst is for 7 games over 8 years, I said nothing to my die-hard Aggie family and friends.  Not one word ever, because I know a lot of them take stuff really seriously, and really hard.  I could barely get my phone turned on Sunday morning before it blew up with the sorest loser texts imaginable.  Ags are now 1-6 against LSU in conference and the fans are acting like we're basically even, despite that one win taking 1) 7 overtimes  2)  3+ ref snafus  3)  1 coaching change  4)  $75 million  5)  LSU down 4 defensive starters.
All that said, I'm not upset with TAMU or its team.  Just the refereeing crew who has now done a number on us twice this seasons, making a strong run at replacing the Penn Wagers crew who seemed to take special delight in sticking it to us.  

Drew4UTk

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: November 27, 2018, 12:13:48 PM »
i can't hold it against the aTm players or staff, but they still shouldn't feel good about that 'win'... they were gifted, plain and simple.  Atop of the calls discussed, the pseudo 'pass interference' on the 2pt conversion followed by a ref tossing his hat for an additional 'unsportsmanlike conduct' was point blank straight out of a EFFYOU cannon the refs had been firing at LSU since they 'sealed' it in the fourth.  

somebody ought to check that crew's bank accounts.  they were thieves.  

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: November 27, 2018, 12:19:52 PM »
If by "fair and square" you mean "with referees looking for ways to benefit one team and screw the other one," then sure.

You guys are a good choice for A&M's rival.  The above is spoken like a true Aggie, except you're not an Aggie.

Texas A&M was added to the SEC for window dressing.  I can't wait for A&M to actually start winning, because that's when it gets nasty.

Longhorn fans will look like cherubs up next to SEC ilk.  Especially if A&M starts beating them.  I'm all for A&M having success in the SEC - mostly because that wasn't the plan.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: November 27, 2018, 12:29:50 PM »
Heh, T95 is nothing if not vindictive! :)

Entropy

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: November 27, 2018, 12:36:54 PM »
The play with Sternberger that was called incomplete was a bang-bang play... I could see it go either way.  It was called incomplete on the field so I don't think there was enough compelling evidence to overturn it.  Had it been called a catch/fumble... I don't think that would've been overturned either.  Don't see too many people complaining about the call...

I think the more glaring issue is the 4th and 18 play where our receiver caught the ball on his back a full yard short of the stick.  That wasn't a 1st down and wouldn't given LSU the win.  But tough shit... The call went in our favor and we'll take it.  What LSU fans won't admit is that it would've taken TWO more calls like that in our favor to balance out the beneficial spots LSU got in regulation that went against us.  

Sometimes refs screw a game.  This is the first time in years that I can remember them screwing a game in our favor.  It's about damned time.  
actually... it was a first down.  The TV line marker was wrong.

https://twitter.com/DavidRutz/status/1066882264192176128

MikeDeTiger

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: November 27, 2018, 01:08:59 PM »
You guys are a good choice for A&M's rival.  The above is spoken like a true Aggie, except you're not an Aggie.
I didn't think you were that clueless.  
A&M has wanted LSU to be its new rival, and now it appears we are indeed a school who beats them regularly while they think they're still somehow our equal, and the "rivalry" is all one sided.  I don't know any LSU fans who give A&M much of their attention.  And we regularly underachieve with the talent on hand.  

If anything, we're the new Texas. 

MikeDeTiger

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: November 27, 2018, 01:12:01 PM »
i can't hold it against the aTm players or staff, but they still shouldn't feel good about that 'win'... they were gifted, plain and simple.  Atop of the calls discussed, the pseudo 'pass interference' on the 2pt conversion followed by a ref tossing his hat for an additional 'unsportsmanlike conduct' was point blank straight out of a EFFYOU cannon the refs had been firing at LSU since they 'sealed' it in the fourth.  

somebody ought to check that crew's bank accounts.  they were thieves.  
Field judge Blake Parks had absolutely no vantage point to anything occuring between Greedy Williams and the receiver--and then he clowned himself by throwing an unsportsmanlike flag on a frustrated player after SEVEN GODDAMNED OVERTIMES.
The other calls were more impactful.  That one was the worst.  
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 01:13:39 PM by MikeDeTiger »

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: November 27, 2018, 01:14:25 PM »
A&M has wanted LSU to be its new rival, and now it appears we are indeed a school who beats them regularly while they think they're still somehow our equal, and the "rivalry" is all one sided.

Except they just beat you.

And since academics is why universities exist in the first place, LSU should be thrilled if A&M considers them an "equal".

Gigem

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: November 27, 2018, 02:06:47 PM »
Oooh I love it. Nothing like a little referee controversy to help stoke up the hate. 

You’re right, it’s not yet a rivalry. We haven’t won enough “lately”. But I have zero doubt that A&M will start winning, and we expect to win Big. Not just the sec. 

It’s funny because I know far more LSU grads than OU or Texas grads by far. Like 10-1. Of course I live in SE Texas near Houston. Been hearing crap from them for 7 years but this year I haven’t said a word. The big OL smile is good enough. 

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.