header pic

The B12 (XII) Forum, home of the 'Front Porch, y'all' at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Worst Officiating Ever

(Read 16063 times)

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
Re: Worst Officiating Ever
« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2018, 10:49:42 AM »
Lots of folks seem to be talking about this one.  I didn’t see it.

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/11/25/18110745/texas-am-lsu-overtime-fbs-record

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: November 25, 2018, 11:05:35 AM »
Yeah, there was some weird and questionable stuff at the end of the game.  If I were an LSU fan, I'd probably be feeling pretty robbed right about now.

I think there are reasonable explanations for how the Aggies tied it up on that final drive in regulation, but the worst one was that I absolutely believe LSU recovered a fumble to end the Aggies' possession in the first OT, and thus won the game at that point.  To my eye it's not even questionable, it's a clear reception, fumble, and LSU recovery.

But the refs giveth, and the refs taketh away.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 11:07:16 AM by utee94 »

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: November 25, 2018, 11:59:03 AM »
I agree on the reception and fumble, but I do think it's questionable enough to see the ref's point of view.  It was bang bang
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2018, 12:09:37 PM »
When bad calls happen, it’s tempting human nature to resent the benefactor but it’s doubtful they had any more control over the outcome than the injured party did.  It’s just the way it goes and you want to believe there was no agenda and that things will even out in the wash - if not within the course of a game than within the course of a season.

I think what bothers me most is I remember a time when football was a more obvious and less interpretive game.

Catches were catches.  Fumbles were fumbles.  Rules were simple and easy to follow.

The more they’ve tried to define things (and I believe this starts at the NFL level and all others follow suit), the more they have muddied the waters and made it about the refs instead of the teams.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #60 on: November 25, 2018, 12:14:37 PM »
yup, the more they try to make things "fair"  the more they screw things up

life isn't fair and football is played with a ball that is not round
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

longhorn320

• Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: November 25, 2018, 12:24:10 PM »
I think its funny as hell that the LSU coach not only had to endure the tough loss but also had the honor of having gatorade thrown on him
They won't let me give blood anymore. The burnt orange color scares the hell out of the doctors.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: November 25, 2018, 12:42:00 PM »
dumping gatorade on a coach has been around since 1985

it's tired and foolish

I'm not a fan

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: November 25, 2018, 12:57:48 PM »
I agree on the reception and fumble, but I do think it's questionable enough to see the ref's point of view.  It was bang bang
They didn't even hold play for even a moment to review it.  Contrast that with the painstaking effort they took to take away the LSU INT at the end of regulation that would have ended the game, reviewing that play and overturning even when there wasn't definitive evidence that Mond's knee was definitely down.  
Like I said, LSU fans that think they got screwed, multiple times, have legitimate complaints.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: November 25, 2018, 12:59:07 PM »
yup, the more they try to make things "fair"  the more they screw things up

life isn't fair and football is played with a ball that is not round
Absolutely agree with all of this, though.  The fact that they've made the rules so subjective and influenced by interpretation is harming the sport, badly.

Gigem

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: November 25, 2018, 01:29:21 PM »
Yeah, there was some weird and questionable stuff at the end of the game.  If I were an LSU fan, I'd probably be feeling pretty robbed right about now.

I think there are reasonable explanations for how the Aggies tied it up on that final drive in regulation, but the worst one was that I absolutely believe LSU recovered a fumble to end the Aggies' possession in the first OT, and thus won the game at that point.  To my eye it's not even questionable, it's a clear reception, fumble, and LSU recovery.

But the refs giveth, and the refs taketh away.
I posted on the SEC board that for the first time the refs were biased in our favor. That faux Gatorade bath int review sequence was just awesome. I’ll take whatever help we can get. 

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: November 25, 2018, 01:34:42 PM »
Yep.  Can’t feel bad when you’re the beneficiary when you’ve been the victim before and you know you will again.

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: November 25, 2018, 01:39:45 PM »
What’s upsetting for all fans (losers and winners) is when it “appears” like the league office has an agenda to:
Put the two most popular teams in the CCG;
Or send a legendary coach out with a win;
Or send a departing conference member out with a loss;
Or preserve a team’s shot at a big post season payout;
Or drum a rivalry out of a one-sided history;
Or whatever.

It just makes everyone feel dirty.  I’d rather they avoid all appearance of impropriety.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: November 25, 2018, 01:50:15 PM »
or welcome a new conference member with a tough schedule and record

ask Maryland and Rutgers

best to not change conferences very often

Shiner

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: November 26, 2018, 08:12:50 AM »
The play with Sternberger that was called incomplete was a bang-bang play... I could see it go either way.  It was called incomplete on the field so I don't think there was enough compelling evidence to overturn it.  Had it been called a catch/fumble... I don't think that would've been overturned either.  Don't see too many people complaining about the call... 

I think the more glaring issue is the 4th and 18 play where our receiver caught the ball on his back a full yard short of the stick.  That wasn't a 1st down and wouldn't given LSU the win.  But tough shit... The call went in our favor and we'll take it.  What LSU fans won't admit is that it would've taken TWO more calls like that in our favor to balance out the beneficial spots LSU got in regulation that went against us.  

Sometimes refs screw a game.  This is the first time in years that I can remember them screwing a game in our favor.  It's about damned time.  

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.