header pic

The B12 (XII) Forum, home of the 'Front Porch, y'all' at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Worst Officiating Ever

(Read 16069 times)

MarqHusker

• Team Captain
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
Re: Worst Officiating Ever
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2018, 09:13:38 PM »
I was at the 40-30 game.  Wild game.   Took the kitties 30min to get the goalposts down.  It was a great scene.

Gigem

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2018, 10:55:22 AM »
Does any of our non-longhorn brethren find it rich that they are complaining about the refs?  

I’m surprised no Sooners have brought up that Ou Tech tilt from the mid to late 2000’s where OU was totally screwed (with replays to boot) at the end of the game. 

My personal favorite is the late hit or out of bounds hit that gave Texas a fresh set of downs and win the final A&M/Texas game. Pictures later surfaced showing said ref in Longhorn garb. Personally I blame that game on Mike Sherman and Bill Byrne. 

longhorn320

• Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2018, 12:35:50 PM »
Does any of our non-longhorn brethren find it rich that they are complaining about the refs?  

I’m surprised no Sooners have brought up that Ou Tech tilt from the mid to late 2000’s where OU was totally screwed (with replays to boot) at the end of the game.

My personal favorite is the late hit or out of bounds hit that gave Texas a fresh set of downs and win the final A&M/Texas game. Pictures later surfaced showing said ref in Longhorn garb. Personally I blame that game on Mike Sherman and Bill Byrne.
Why gigem whatever do you mean?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKPmi8sFk5A
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 12:37:52 PM by longhorn320 »
They won't let me give blood anymore. The burnt orange color scares the hell out of the doctors.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2018, 09:55:02 PM »
let's have a spelling contest
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2018, 02:32:32 PM »
So I looked at that screenshot from Tombstone and wondered whatever happened JoAnna Pacula...

So I went to imbd to look at the full cast list...

Did you know Michael Rooker, Thomas Haden Church and Billy Bob Thornton were in it?  I didn't remember that.  They were all kind of lost in the wayside of Val Kilmer, Powers Booth and Michael Biehn chewing up the screen.

So I looked up clips.

Remembered Church.  Rooker was a youngster.  And Billy Bob Thornton was a chubby cheeked boy.  I didn't even recognize him.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2018, 09:09:00 PM »
my favorite western of all-time
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

Kris60

• All Star
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2018, 05:19:19 PM »
Can we add the botched job the refs pulled in the Ok St-Texas game on the attempted fake punt from the Pokes.  Half of the team moves and Texas is called for offsides.  That was a big play in that game.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2018, 06:03:39 PM »
I understand that the Okies are moving around pre-snap, but the defense needs to hold their water and not cross the neutral zone

it was probably a bad call, but not the worst call ever

Entropy

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2018, 03:51:59 PM »
well... not one game... but...

Nebraska offensive opponents were called for zero holding calls on pass plays for 21 straight conference games (over 600 pass attempts).

The Generation X'er in me says the BIG has something against UNL.   The realist in me says UNL doesn't have a DL athletic enough to warrant a holding call.   Either way, it's an interesting stat.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 03:53:54 PM by Entropy »

Mr Tulip

• Learn to love or leave me. Either one you wanna do.
  • Player
  • Non Serviam
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2018, 04:08:46 PM »
Can we add the botched job the refs pulled in the Ok St-Texas game on the attempted fake punt from the Pokes.  Half of the team moves and Texas is called for offsides.  That was a big play in that game.
This comes down to a judgement call. Clearly, offenses set and reset all the time. Players motion out of the backfield.
The differentiator is supposed to be "simulating the start of a play". That is, a RB can go in motion in a clearly defined movement. Jumping forward really fast before doing so would not be allowed.
I agree with you that the refs botched this one. When the two inside protectors suddenly shot towards the Center, the defending rushers logically took that as the start of the play (they're looking at the players and not the ball). oSu should have been called for a false start.

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2018, 04:09:13 PM »

Learning to complain about Longhorn favoritism is part of Aggie fish camp.  No one listens when Aggies cry out.

As far as Sooners, too many of their MNC's have an asterisk for me to worry about their virtue being violated.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2018, 04:13:07 PM »
I preferred the good ol days when the offense had to be set for a full count and the defense could do whatever the heck they wanted to try to make them flinch

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2018, 04:59:42 PM »
I understand that the Okies are moving around pre-snap, but the defense needs to hold their water and not cross the neutral zone

it was probably a bad call, but not the worst call ever
It was absolutely the wrong call, actually.  Definitely one of the worst calls ever, because they got it completely wrong, and it was extremely impactful.
There were 4 things going on there.  
1) Multiple olinemen shifting.  They are allowed to do this before they are down and before the ball is snapped. However, the rules dictate that this is NOT something that can draw the defense offsides. The only way the defense can be offsides in this case, is if the ball snaps. And if the linemen are shifting when the ball snaps, then it's an illegal procedure on the offense.
2) Two men shifting forward in the backfield toward the LOS.  Similar to above, this is allowed before the ball snaps, but by rule it's not something that can draw the defense offsides. The only way the defense can be called offsides here, is if the ball snaps, and if the ball snaps, then once again, that's an illegal procedure on the offense.  
3) A covered olineman shifting. Which is exactly what happened.  This one is an automatic illegal procedure and should have blown the play dead immediately with an illegal procedure on the offense.
4) Any motions/maneuvers that are designed to simulate the start of the play with the intent to draw the defense offsides unfairly, are also against the rules and an illegal procedure.  This play was CLEARLY designed to confuse both the defense, and the refs.  I give them credit, it worked, but the refs blew this one badly.  4 different ways it could have and should have been called illegal procedure on the offense, and yet it was incorrectly called against the defense.
And it was obviously VERY highly impactful.  Pretty much the worst call I've seen all season long due to the magnitude of its effect on the game as well as the total wrongness of the officials missing it 4 different ways.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2018, 05:02:52 PM »
This comes down to a judgement call. Clearly, offenses set and reset all the time. Players motion out of the backfield.
The differentiator is supposed to be "simulating the start of a play". That is, a RB can go in motion in a clearly defined movement. Jumping forward really fast before doing so would not be allowed.
I agree with you that the refs botched this one. When the two inside protectors suddenly shot towards the Center, the defending rushers logically took that as the start of the play (they're looking at the players and not the ball). oSu should have been called for a false start.
Right. Like I outlined above, FOUR different ways this was an illegal procedure/false start on oSu, and not a single one of them was called.  Horrible, horrible call.

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.