header pic

The B12 (XII) Forum, home of the 'Front Porch, y'all' at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: TX-OU. The Red River Shootout. The best rivalry game in all of football.

(Read 18765 times)

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Re: TX-OU. The Red River Shootout. The best rivalry game in all of football.
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2018, 03:48:49 PM »
Ha that made me truly lol, BC, you caveman you
Yeah, that one was quite the zinger.  :)

Entropy

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2018, 03:49:04 PM »
Texas 35
OU 32

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2018, 04:42:34 PM »
Any chance we could pound the rock on OU?  Look what Army did.

The key for Texas will be time of possession, and keeping Lil' Kyler on the bench.  I'm not sure if Herman is capable of putting together a real-man football game plan, but that's what we need.

None of this Conference USA stuff.  3-5 yards and a cloud of dust.  I would open up Sam's run game a little more this week.  Run some pistol formation to Lil Jordan.  Our OL could win this game for us.

I don't like putting this game on Sam's arm.  I believe our coaching works against our strengths right now.  A physical game is our best shot.

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2018, 04:42:49 PM »
Here’s what I think.

After the Brits tried unsuccessfully (twice) to bring the bleedin colonist back into the king’s fold, I think decided to change the locks.

You know, like parents do when kids run away or go off to college.

It’s like, “If they jolly don’t want to be a part of cheery England, hen we’re just going to speak a different bloody language so they won’t know what we’re saying. Right?!”

We’re the ones who still speak pre-revolutionary British English.  They’re the ones who changed.

It’s like when your ex-wife drops 30 lbs, photoshops her pictures and tries to make it look like she’s having so much more fun without you.

That’s what the UK has been doing for 300 years.  Making up new words and changing old ones is part of it.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 04:45:10 PM by CharleyHorse46 »

Mr Tulip

• Learn to love or leave me. Either one you wanna do.
  • Player
  • Non Serviam
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2018, 05:06:23 PM »
Any chance we could pound the rock on OU?  Look what Army did.

The key for Texas will be time of possession, and keeping Lil' Kyler on the bench.  I'm not sure if Herman is capable of putting together a real-man football game plan, but that's what we need.

None of this Conference USA stuff.  3-5 yards and a cloud of dust.  I would open up Sam's run game a little more this week.  Run some pistol formation to Lil Jordan.  Our OL could win this game for us.

I don't like putting this game on Sam's arm.  I believe our coaching works against our strengths right now.  A physical game is our best shot.
Herman will definitely come to run. If you run the football successfully, you win. For all of college football's jiggery-pokery, that fact hasn't changed in 100 years.
Texas isn't built to be Army - an offense trained to run the tripe option and only the triple option. Texas can, though, run the ball physically straight ahead through a variety of formations. If the run game is reliably grabbing 4-5 yards, we'll keep doing it.
At least until we gain 8 yards on 1st down, and someone determines that the defense will never see an ultra-complex WR reverse sweep pitch double pass coming. We'll execute it ineptly, either lose 14 yards, or just simply fumble.
For all the heat, and the fact that Texas is an emerging team, recall that the Texas offense has killed off 4 straight games by simply grabbing the ball and killing off 5 minutes running when the defense knew that Texas was going to run it. The OL can flex up and smash when it has to.

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2018, 06:13:23 PM »
Bring the rock.  Man up.  Pound the middle.  Play tough.  Go Texas.  Beat those unwashed, uneducated, Tom Joad-like, toothless masses to the north.  Go you arrogant, wealthy, refined, top ranked university bastages.

Here's my Okie perspective on all this, which I think Bill Murray captured perfectly:

It just doesn't matter!

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2018, 08:27:00 PM »
Tom Joad, a Steinbeck reference.  He also wrote Travels With Charley, wherein he said - Texas is a state of mind.  Texas is an obsession.  Texas is, in every sense of the word, a nation.

Texas and Oklahoma are exactly alike but completely different.  Texans and Oklahomans are exactly alike but completely different.

Texas needs Oklahoma to scorn what it’s not, just as Oklahoma needs Texas to scorn what it’s not.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2018, 08:40:20 PM »
Texas needs Oklahoma like it needs a pimple on its ass, and that's precisely what Oklahoma is.

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2018, 08:46:05 PM »
Damn that’s profound primo (applause).  Seriously, well said

I love TWC.  One of my all time favorite books.  I read it again every ten years or so (and in fact I’m overdue) and it’s still relevant.

You don’t take a trip, a trip takes you.

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2018, 08:47:38 PM »
And, then there’s junior ... eye roll 

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2018, 09:23:47 PM »
Mine was way more profound than Slick's.  

#truth

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2018, 09:45:18 PM »
I liked Travels With Charley but I can’t read it over and over again because Charley’s prostate issue bothers me.

There are, howver, certain books I must read regularly.

One is The Milagro Beanfield War.

I was introduced to it in college and I love its tapestry.   

When I first started reading it, I was younger than The youngest characters and now I’m older than the oldest characters.

Growing up, I always liked Robert Redford (Sundance Kid and all) but I resent him for reducing a magnificent symphony into a trite little ditty.

The book is so much more than his crappy little movie.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2018, 10:37:39 PM »
I've probably asked before, but have you ever read North Toward Home by Willie Morris?  If not, you absolutely should.  I highly recommend it.

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2018, 11:45:40 PM »
You mean when he whispers Pfft in JS’s ear?  I loved Charley.  Steinbeck’s commentary on America is priceless.

I’ll have to check out the Milagro Beanfield War.  I’ve never read anything by the author.  I did like the movie, but then again I had no expectations having not read the book.

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.