header pic

The B12 (XII) Forum, home of the 'Front Porch, y'all' at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: TX-OU. The Red River Shootout. The best rivalry game in all of football.

(Read 18745 times)

Mr Tulip

• Learn to love or leave me. Either one you wanna do.
  • Player
  • Non Serviam
  • Liked:
Re: TX-OU. The Red River Shootout. The best rivalry game in all of football.
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2018, 12:02:46 PM »
I look and see Texas hunting down running QBs and killing them. I think this is gonna limit OU's offense. I see Kyler Murray is 4' 7", and realize this is gonna be like hunting down Darren Sproles all over again.

I want to believe the Texas offense put some oddball gadget plays on the field against KSU just to mess with the Sooners prep, but realize it's because our usual OC was hospitalized, and the grad assistant calling plays was playing Overwatch during the game instead.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2018, 12:13:30 PM »
Sigh, jeez cousin drink some coffee.  Not W but U

D-OU-MED

Now, as a math type guy, you might see this as the differential of an OU medical degree, which when integrated could become a full fledged OU-educated physician, such as my dear dad was, but I meant it much more simply than that, which is just that embedded in your "doom," OU lurks.  

That is all.  Harmless ... particularly since I think the Horns are gonna win this year (just between you and me and well the rest of the porch).
It would be pronounced "DOWMED."  That's just silly.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2018, 12:14:46 PM »
I look and see Texas hunting down running QBs and killing them. I think this is gonna limit OU's offense. I see Kyler Murray is 4' 7", and realize this is gonna be like hunting down Darren Sproles all over again.

I want to believe the Texas offense put some oddball gadget plays on the field against KSU just to mess with the Sooners prep, but realize it's because our usual OC was hospitalized, and the grad assistant calling plays was playing Overwatch during the game instead.

There's a better (or worse) analog for us against an OU oompa loompa-- Quentin Griffin.  I can still see that tangle-footed dwarf running for 300 yards on a stupid draw play against us.

TexasFan

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2018, 12:17:03 PM »
We will beat OU Saturday.   

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2018, 12:20:13 PM »
We will beat OU Saturday.    
Amen, brutha.  ou sucks.

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2018, 01:17:21 PM »
tangle-footed dwarf
Lovely, lyrical, poignant, poetic turn of a phrase 

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2018, 01:26:40 PM »
It would be pronounced "DOWMED."  That's just silly.
Well, I guess in some accents, like maybe if you were from Gawga, maybe.  But try this on for size:
dOUmed defined: OU will go thrOUgh the Texas Defense, turning the yOUthful Texas backfield into a sOUp of confusion, a veritable gOUlash of orange and rOUge, as the Sooners make crossing the Texas goal line a rOUtine happening all game, wOUnding the Longhorn pride, all the while OU's endlessly uncOUth band will fill the Cotton Bowl with Boomer Sooner accOUstics, and Texas fans will leave Dallas once again a highly chastened grOUp of forlornhorns.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 01:29:41 PM by CousinFreddie »

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2018, 01:44:49 PM »
I just realized something that might explain how we see "OU" differently, pronunciation wise.

When I see OU, I think Oh-You Sooners ... it's all OOOOO, as in half of OOOOO and AHHHH.  An expression of joy, of wonderment, and one might even say, of delight.

But when a Texas fan sees the "OU", I'm guessing s/he mainly sees it as one big

OUCH

Which of course (and there's a third pronunciation of "OU" in course), is a whole 'nother perspective.  So, I get it.

But when I see DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED from a Texas fan, inside it triggers an OOOOO and an AHHHH and so lurking in Doomed for Texas is most certainly an OU.

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2018, 02:50:57 PM »

But when a Texas fan sees the "OU", I'm guessing s/he mainly sees it as one big

dOUCHe

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2018, 03:12:30 PM »
Lovely, lyrical, poignant, poetic turn of a phrase
Of all moments, your senile old brain picks THIS one to remember you coined it? ;)
I believe it was in reference to our 1999 cadre of DBs, was it not?  A couple of those guys turned out to be not-so-horrible...

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2018, 03:18:11 PM »
OU has made me say ouch. Possibly even as much as anybody (except maybe UofH - it’s close) but Ouch is not the word I think of whenI think of OU because the ouchies were confined to 1971-1974 and 2000-2004.

Yes, I am aware OU beat Texas badly at other times but those defeats came when OU had arguably the superior team and those blows are tempered by almost as many or more years when Texas upset the arguably superior OU team.

The problems with 1971-1974 and 2000-2004 was that aside from OU beating Texas’ skull in, Texas otherwise had what we assumed to be good teams.

2000 and 2003 were particularly galling to me.

But what are we talking about?  A handful of games over decades.

Like I said, UofH (and UCLA) have done that too.

It’s life.

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2018, 03:21:48 PM »
Of all moments, your senile old brain picks THIS one to remember you coined it? ;)
I believe it was in reference to our 1999 cadre of DBs, was it not?  A couple of those guys turned out to be not-so-horrible...

Oh was that my line?  I didn’t realize.
PS at the moment I’m in a conference in Miami listening to a British guy talk about day-ter.
Data.
Are you familiar with Kipper the Dog?
Like that.

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2018, 03:41:45 PM »
Ha that made me truly lol, BC, you caveman you

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2018, 03:46:13 PM »
A really great friend of mine, a Brit named Tom Kite (I've told more than a few stories about him over the years), and I used to puzzle over why Brits (and some New Englanders) add a completely unnecessary "er" to the end of word ending in "a."  Data.  Idea.  

He blamed 60s/70s English pop/folk singer Cliff Richard for it, because he did it to the word "a" in song called "Bachelor Boy."  The line goes:
"Son, you be er bachelor boy..." and it really is the oddest thing.  I don't think Cliff Richard originated the tendency or even popularized it but, much like MDT and his crazy theories about people actually liking Mississippi football, once my friend Tom Kite got going, you couldn't really stop him.

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.