header pic

The B12 (XII) Forum, home of the 'Front Porch, y'all' at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: TCU vs Texas

(Read 12426 times)

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Re: TCU vs Texas
« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2018, 06:58:14 PM »
You might be suffering from some SECSECSEC bias there, my friend.

The Mississippi schools are exactly like ISU and Kansas.  Actually, ISU is more fun to watch than the Mississippi schools IMO.  They play some pretty solid ball, respective to the talent they have available to them, and they do it without the... ahem... complications... that the Hugh Freezes of the world tends to bring along with them.  I mean, even Baylor got into the Top 10 fairly regularly when they were cheating.  But cheating to win doesn't make your football more interesting.

Kansas sucks for sure, but we keep 'em around for basketball, obviously.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 07:02:11 PM by utee94 »

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2018, 08:18:57 PM »
If that happens the sec might as well try to get a few more teams and split off into its own league and get rid of the ncaa.
Ding! Ding! Ding!

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: September 27, 2018, 08:23:18 PM »
But yall are acting like the MS schools are like watching KU or ISU or something, and I don't think you're gonna find any neutral parties who agree.  
Let me be clear on my stance - I think Ole Miss is quality SEC material.  Miss St?  Meh.

But the thing is - the whole state of Mississippi is a colossal dump about the size of the Houston metro area.  And it gets 2 schools in the SEC?

Nah.  Not worthy.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: September 28, 2018, 08:22:49 AM »
Let me be clear on my stance - I think Ole Miss is quality SEC material.  Miss St?  Meh.

But the thing is - the whole state of Mississippi is a colossal dump about the size of the Houston metro area.  And it gets 2 schools in the SEC?

Nah.  Not worthy.
Ole Miss was good maybe 6 decades ago, and any more recent success has been of the cheating kind, so I don't consider them "quality" at all.
Other than their coeds, that is.

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #60 on: September 28, 2018, 11:36:58 AM »
Ole Miss was good maybe 6 decades ago, and any more recent success has been of the cheating kind, so I don't consider them "quality" at all.
Other than their coeds, that is.

I'm not begrudging Mississippi to have at least one school in the SEC, and the school with The Grove wins.

MikeDeTiger

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: September 28, 2018, 02:19:31 PM »
You might be suffering from some SECSECSEC bias there, my friend.
Obviously.  And you suffer from Big 12 bias.  Thus my appeal to neutral fans.  
I'll reiterate:  In general...absolutely.  I don't waste my time watching much MS teams either for a lot of my football watching years.  But Mullen and Freeze absolutely have had some humming offenses in those places, and like I said, both are gone now and it's easy to imagine both schools quickly going back to Must-Miss TV.  But for the moment Ole Miss has one of the best QBs in the league and country and 3 of the league's best WRs to boot.  They're "interesting" in a whole other way on defense....in the way that car wrecks are interesting and you can't look away.  Clanga has two of the best lines in the league and nation.  If line play is not your thing then I guess we're two different kinds of fans, but they've also had some nifty QBs who made for plenty exciting games.  I'd think as a Cowboys fan you understand the draw of a Dak Prescott at the college level.  
I don't claim they are PROGRAMS worth having around, only that they've had extremely watchable teams for a few years now.  I do fail to see how people can look at Texas Tech or Okie Lite and make any favorable comparisons.  Hell, Ole Miss basically IS a Big 12 team at the moment.  With worse defense this year, tho.....ugh.  

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: September 28, 2018, 02:53:24 PM »
I do fail to see how people can look at Texas Tech or Okie Lite and make any favorable comparisons.

Don't get me to touting for Okie Lite... but I do believe they have graced the top 10 more in the last decade than Ole Miss and Miss St combined.

Or even top 25.

Top anything.

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: September 28, 2018, 05:58:40 PM »
FWIW, my secondary teams are places I went to school or worked at, plus the grad school of my lovely wifita.  So, Virginia, Georgia, Virginia Tech, and Oregon State ... at the D1 level anyway.  But, honestly, I don't really care what happens to any of these teams beyond when I look at the scores and come across who they're playing, and I have this mild little thing inside that says "oh yeah!" when they're ahead or have won, and "darn it" when they're behind or have lost, and then it's kind of instantly lost. 

It's not at all the same as that gut wrenching feeling of despair that happens when the Sooners hang an L, which lasts like up to maybe 24 hours before I manage to remember that it's only sports, and so aw f--- it, there's always next game/year.

MikeDeTiger

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: September 28, 2018, 07:52:33 PM »
Don't get me to touting for Okie Lite... but I do believe they have graced the top 10 more in the last decade than Ole Miss and Miss St combined.

Or even top 25.

Top anything.
It's like I'm talking and no sound must be coming out.
I'm not making PROGRAM comparisons.  At all.  If those are better programs with more blah blah blah, fine, I don't even care to verify it, I'm happy to agree with it.
All I'm saying is if people find Texas Tech and Okie Lite entertaining viewing (and I frequently do), then the Mississippi teams of the PAST FEW YEARS should be equally watchable.  I make no claims that they are MORE fun to view than the B12 schools.  I make no claims that their schools are in any way comparable or bring anything resembling the same thing to the conference.  I freely admit most of my football watching years have found me not caring one bit about the MS schools.  
I'm saying that they've been fun for a few years and I think people bagging on their boringness are either being B12 homers or else they've just missed the entertainment. 
I mean, I wouldn't skip a Top Ten match for them or anything like that, I'm just saying they're not Must-Miss TV as they have often been in years past.  They could return there at any time.  

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: September 28, 2018, 08:58:41 PM »
No kidding, I don’t even get what you’re saying at this point.

Gigem

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: September 28, 2018, 09:09:14 PM »
No kidding, I don’t even get what you’re saying at this point.
Mike I totally get it.  
Also, I'm not sure about that ranking deal with OM/MSU vs TT/OSU.  MSU has been in/out of the rankings a bunch for a few years as has MSU.  

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: September 28, 2018, 09:42:17 PM »
MDT, you're making the mistake of thinking that people here carefully read posts, think about them and then make logical replies.  Come on, man, that's just not how it works  ;)

Anyway, FWIW, those Missississississippippippi teams are pretty entertaining if you ask me.  I don't watch them very often, but when I do, they're pretty fun.

Now, not on your point but I'll throw this in anyway because I just wanna.  If/when those Miss teams get matched up with either Ok State or Tech in a bowl or a OOC game, I'd generally put my meager football wager on the Miss team (whichever one, as they kind of blur together from my point of view, although I know that's pure sacrilege in some quarters), pretty much by default
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 09:45:25 PM by CousinFreddie »

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: September 28, 2018, 11:53:24 PM »
It's like I'm talking and no sound must be coming out.
I'm not making PROGRAM comparisons.  At all.  If those are better programs with more blah blah blah, fine, I don't even care to verify it, I'm happy to agree with it.
All I'm saying is if people find Texas Tech and Okie Lite entertaining viewing (and I frequently do), then the Mississippi teams of the PAST FEW YEARS should be equally watchable.  I make no claims that they are MORE fun to view than the B12 schools.  I make no claims that their schools are in any way comparable or bring anything resembling the same thing to the conference.  I freely admit most of my football watching years have found me not caring one bit about the MS schools.  
I'm saying that they've been fun for a few years and I think people bagging on their boringness are either being B12 homers or else they've just missed the entertainment.
I mean, I wouldn't skip a Top Ten match for them or anything like that, I'm just saying they're not Must-Miss TV as they have often been in years past.  They could return there at any time.  
I'm really not sure what you're not getting???
You have a regional/conference reason to watch these teams and be interested in them.  Nobody outside the SEC does.  They might play interesting football and since your team plays them every year, that interests you.  I think ISU plays interesting football, and since my team plays them every year, I'm naturally going to be more interested in them.

It's not that I dislike the Mississippi teams, it's that I don't care at all about them.  They don't tick any of the boxes we listed above.  1) They're not my team 2) They're not teams my team plays, and 3) They're not bigtime national teams that would interest me outside of those two factors.   This seems pretty cut and dried and I really have no idea why you're attempting to insist that people that have no reason to care about Mississippi schools should simply acknowledge they're more interesting than teams YOU don't personally care about.  That's just a bizarre position to take IMO, no offense intended my old friend.

And, you may "appeal to neutrality" all you want, but you're most certainly not going to find it on a college football message board, I can guarantee you that! :)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 11:55:15 PM by utee94 »

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: September 29, 2018, 12:04:27 AM »

But yall are acting like the MS schools are like watching KU or ISU or something, and I don't think you're gonna find any neutral parties who agree.  
I mean, let's get back to the heart of your statement, and my opposition.  There it is right there ^^^^^^
So the question is, why do you think that?  What is the origin of that?

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.