header pic

The B12 (XII) Forum, home of the 'Front Porch, y'all' at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Texas at KSU

(Read 5086 times)

TexasFan

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
Texas at KSU
« on: September 30, 2018, 11:40:34 AM »
Good win for Texas yesterday.    Haven't beat KSU in Manhattan in 16 years.   

https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/texas-longhorns-kansas-state-wildcats-201809290021/

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Re: Texas at KSU
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 12:13:02 PM »
Winning is always better than losing, and escaping the Purple Wizard's clutches with a win in the Little Apple is no small feat for Texas.

I'd be lying if I didn't say I'm concerned with how Texas faded in the second half against both KSU and Tulsa, two teams where the Longhorns clearly had them outmatched in manpower.  It makes me think there's either something about the team psyche, or the coaching, which lets off the gas in situations like this.

However, the team played much better in the second half against better competition in TCU and USC, so I expect they'll play just as hard in the second half against the Sooners.

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 01:48:33 PM »

This was a sleeper (poor) game for Sam.  He kept a couple of scores off the board with horrendous throws.

I'm not saying put in Shane.  But Sam's accuracy can still be woeful on the deep ball, and I will attribute lady luck as to why he hasn't been picked lately.  He's just gotta get better.

K-State should have won this game in the 2nd half, but the Texas D kept that from happening.  However, if I recall, K-State had its own share of drops and poor execution.

Either team could have won.

Texas gets a reality check this Saturday.  Kyler will run and pass for 300 yards.  Not that Kyler's great, but he's just the QB to exploit what we do worst on defense.

longhorn320

• Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2018, 03:04:31 PM »
Texas is no match for the sooners

Hope we can hold them to below 60
They won't let me give blood anymore. The burnt orange color scares the hell out of the doctors.

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2018, 04:15:30 PM »

Todd Orlando is starting to creep back on some other schools' wish list the last few weeks.

He will be scratched off Saturday afternoon.

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2018, 11:02:52 PM »
I’m not sure why we even play this game. We can’t compete. We should just scratch OU from the schedule and replace them with somebody like Nebraska.  Big name, downtrodden and we had their number. We were their KState.

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2018, 08:41:54 AM »
I’m not sure why we even play this game. We can’t compete. We should just scratch OU from the schedule and replace them with somebody like Nebraska.  Big name, downtrodden and we had their number. We were their KState.
I’m sure OU would be okay with that, provided we would mutually agree that UT’s forfeiture of further RRS games would equal 16 Oklahoma wins in the series.  We could then amicably part and call each other former rivals and lifelong friends.

Mr Tulip

• Learn to love or leave me. Either one you wanna do.
  • Player
  • Non Serviam
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2018, 10:52:53 AM »
I'd like to get mad at KSU's "0 penalties, 0 yards" line, but that's the norm. That's how they're trained. Once again, KSU played a near perfect game - other than the game plan to do nothing but run straight ahead against the Texas D for the first 2 quarters. I almost think Texas let them get 1st downs on the first drive just to make them think it was possible.

Against KSU, a holding penalty is almost a turnover. When a mistake kills a drive (also missing Devin Duvernay on a walk-in TD), it basically gives KSU the ball back to do what they do. Missing a scoring opportunity when you get 12 such ones is not that ugly. Missing them when you get 7 of them is.

Any time Texas leaves Manhattan with a W, no matter how it happened, it's a good day.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2018, 11:22:48 AM »
I don't know if you can say this is one of those standard disciplined efficient workmanlike KSU teams, this is what their penalties have looked like so far this season:

South Dakota: 13 - 129
Miss St: 2 - 15
UTSA: 4 - 41
WVU: 8 - 69
Texas: 0 - 0

Regardless, getting a win in Manhattan has never been easy for us, so just take it and move on.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 11:31:47 AM by utee94 »

Mr Tulip

• Learn to love or leave me. Either one you wanna do.
  • Player
  • Non Serviam
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2018, 11:51:36 AM »
KSU hasn't been their historical selves this season, but they pulled it together against Texas. Coming into the season, they had one of the most experienced OL in the country. Once again, they chose yesterday to put it together.

The data points are still sparse. It will be interesting to see how that effort translates on the road next week at Baylor.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2018, 12:17:51 PM »
It is what it is.  The refs missed some obvious holding on KSU-- not just meaningless, but on the edge and being the specific block that sprung the plays.  Plus they missed two targeting calls that would have been, and have been, called against us multiple times this season.  The 10-0 discrepancy, given what I saw actually play out on the field, is shocking, and alarming, and in serious need of some investigation.

Regardless, all we can do is be thankful the team got out to an early enough lead to negate that BS, and move on to the next game.

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.