header pic

The B12 (XII) Forum, home of the 'Front Porch, y'all' at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Beer

(Read 62840 times)

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Re: Beer
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2018, 09:39:21 PM »
Also, there are no credible studies-- no credible link-- between everyday sources of aluminum, and the development of Alzheimer's or other forms of dementia.

In other news, the world is not flat.

longhorn320

• Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2018, 10:22:55 PM »
If one consumed enough canned beer to develop Alzheimer's, I'm sure he's on his third liver.
who are you
do I know you
They won't let me give blood anymore. The burnt orange color scares the hell out of the doctors.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2018, 02:04:02 PM »
Increasing bouts of extreme heat waves and drought will hurt production of barley, a key beer ingredient, in the future. Losses of barley yield can be as much as 17 percent, an international group of researchers estimated.

That means beer prices on average would double, even adjusting for inflation, according to the study in Monday’s journal Nature Plants . In countries like Ireland, where cost of a brew is already high, prices could triple.

https://apnews.com/3f7f6cab367a489fb41d728f8a69f63b
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2018, 02:06:23 PM »
Increasing bouts of extreme heat waves and drought will hurt production of barley, a key beer ingredient, in the future. Losses of barley yield can be as much as 17 percent, an international group of researchers estimated.

So you're saying global warming may be relevant after all?

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2018, 02:09:20 PM »
Consumers of beer have proven to be relatively price-inelastic over the decades, which means that increases to beer prices don't correlate to decreases in demand.  This has proven mostly true over the past 10-15 years, as beer prices have crept up year after year, and demand has remained relatively stable.

But doubling the price from where it is right now ? That would make a dent. 

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2018, 02:11:08 PM »
hah, if I want to double the price of my beer, I just go from NW Iowa to Austin, TX
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2018, 03:53:17 PM »
anyone have an opinion on the Shiner Oktoberfest?

I noticed it in the grocery the other evening, but wasn't willing to give $8 for a sixer to test it.

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2018, 04:08:38 PM »
Consumers of beer have proven to be relatively price-inelastic over the decades, which means that increases to beer prices don't correlate to decreases in demand.

This brings me to a brief interlude.  Smoking.

A couple of decades ago, a pack of cigarettes went from like $1 to $5 almost overnight.  And what happened?  Less people were smoking.  Who was going to pay $5 for a stinking pack of smokes?  What are we, idiots?

But now a new generation comes around.... a generation that doesn't know about the $1 pack.  Teens today will happily pay $5 for a pack of cigs.  And smoking has taken somewhat of a rebound.

What you will pay for something is a matter of conditioning.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2018, 04:13:10 PM »
and the huge spike in Cigarettes was the sin tax increase

I will admit, when I'm being charged $10 for a Budweiser, I don't consume as much

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2018, 05:00:34 PM »
Leonard Smalls, the bounty hunter played by Randall "Tex" Cobb in "Raising Arizona," put it quite eloquently when he said, "Price. A fair price. That's not what you say it is, and it's not what I say it is... It's what the market will bear."

In certain venues that offer certain entertainment, I have paid exorbitant prices for certain foods and beverages that would have no business costing near that much in other venues offering other entertainment options.

But once you've spent $20 bucks on a beer or $30 on a burger, you feel a bit hypocritical complaining about the comparatively small yet seemingly outrageous costs of those same items elsewhere.

That's life.  If you want a beer and can afford the price, you'll pay it.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2018, 05:04:02 PM »
anyone have an opinion on the Shiner Oktoberfest?

I noticed it in the grocery the other evening, but wasn't willing to give $8 for a sixer to test it.
It's below average for a Marzen/Oktoberfest  beer.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2018, 05:06:23 PM »
Leonard Smalls, the bounty hunter played by Randall "Tex" Cobb in "Raising Arizona," put it quite eloquently when he said, "Price. A fair price. That's not what you say it is, and it's not what I say it is... It's what the market will bear."

In certain venues that offer certain entertainment, I have paid exorbitant prices for certain foods and beverages that would have no business costing near that much in other venues offering other entertainment options.

But once you've spent $20 bucks on a beer or $30 on a burger, you feel a bit hypocritical complaining about the comparatively small yet seemingly outrageous costs of those same items elsewhere.

That's life.  If you want a beer and can afford the price, you'll pay it.
For sure, the market is situational and varies based on proximal environment.
But I thought those places that charged for $20 beers also compensated by giving you a juicy sirloin steak for only $3.99?
I'll admit my familiarity with such establishments is minimal.

Mr Tulip

• Learn to love or leave me. Either one you wanna do.
  • Player
  • Non Serviam
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: October 15, 2018, 05:14:01 PM »
Global Warming to cause beer shortage

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41477-018-0263-1

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2018, 05:19:45 PM »
For sure, the market is situational and varies based on proximal environment.
But I thought those places that charged for $20 beers also compensated by giving you a juicy sirloin steak for only $3.99?
I'll admit my familiarity with such establishments is minimal.

It's the old, 
Do I want it for only $9.99 (plus $17 shipping and handling)?
Or would I rather pay $26.99 and get FREE shipping and handling?
Or
Do I want to pay $37,500 for this new F150 and have them give me $9,000 on my old beater?

Or would I prefer to pay only $28,500 to the people who refuse to take my trade in?
It's all about whatever sounds most tolerable.
They gonna screw you no matter what.  Why wear out everybody by putting up a fight?

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.