header pic

The B12 (XII) Forum, home of the 'Front Porch, y'all' at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Beer

(Read 62687 times)

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Re: Beer
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2018, 10:47:47 PM »
Nobody ever knows how old they are.  

It’s a hard knocks life.
true and true

but 46 sounds about right
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2018, 11:29:09 PM »
I used to like Shiner Bock and Negra Modelo, back in the day.  They were okay, but just okay.

However, it's been years and years since I've had a mass produced beer like Bud or Miller.  I can't remember the last time.  Life is just too short to waste my limited beer space, my limited beer time, in this ever shortening life, on that stuff.  If that's being a beer snob, so be it, but it's just a matter of taste for me.  

The choice between a mass produced beer vs a microbrew (preferably on draft) is like choosing between a bama pie out of the vending machine vs a homemade fruit pie by your grandmom (or her recipe anyway, and I did learn how to make a respectable pie crust from my grandmom).  I mean, in a pinch I'll eat the bama pie, but given the choice, give me the homemade style.  Give me the craft brew.  Give me the true good taste.  Life is too short for the swill.  Sorry.
Fred, isn't it beneath you to be a Sooner fan?

It's kinda, well you know, kinda common fare, for lack of a better term.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 11:32:57 PM by BrownCounty »

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2018, 11:32:19 PM »
and why cans are better than bottles in every possible way.
I knew it!!  Canned beer does taste better.  I knew it wasn't in my mind.

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2018, 01:10:53 AM »
Funny Caveman but now that you brought it up, your choice of common swill and your team loyalties aren’t incongruent at all.  Fancy that.

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2018, 07:43:46 AM »
I prefer beer on tap, followed by beer in bottles. I never buy canned beer.  It just tastes better from a glass IMO.  

So does ice tea and Arnold Palmers. Everything tastes better from glass.

On a similar but somewhat different note, I use deodorant instead of antiperspirant, and my i s c & a w and I used heavy duty Calphalon pots and pans instead of aluminum cookware.  I try very hard to keep my body from absorbing anything with aluminum in it or that has been in contact with aluminum.

I know early ‘90s scientists were never able to directly link the high amounts of aluminum in the brains of Alzheimer patients to things like aluminum cans or cookware or antiperspirants and it is likely a dubious correlation but I ain’t taking no chances.  A mind is a terrible thing to waste.

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2018, 07:52:02 AM »
Cousin Fred is a wonderful sort.

Urbane, sophisticated, cosmopolitan.   College professor, nice guy, raconteur, a success from humble beginnings.

Been everywhere, done everything.  Dusted the grime of Muskogee off his hippie sandals long ago.

But he still carries one small trinket of Oklahoma in his heart - his love of Sooner football.

Probably cause he’d rather hobnob with us eclectic, exasperating yet unceasingly friendly Longhorn fans rather than those crazy, dangerous Uraguan futbol rivals of his beloved Argentina.

And did you know there’s a major road in El Paso named after Fred Wilson?  Makes me smile every time I see it.  I tell everybody there, “I know Fred.  He’s my cousin.”

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2018, 08:46:49 AM »
I prefer beer on tap, followed by beer in bottles. I never buy canned beer.  It just tastes better from a glass IMO.  
You're actually 100% correct on this.  All beer is made to be poured into a glass.  Regardless of the transportation vessel-- can, bottle, keg, wooden cask-- it's all better when poured into a glass and consumed that way.  Even crappy macroswill is slightly less crappy when poured into a glass.  A large part of this is because the smell is better detected from the large opening of a glass compared to the smaller opening of a bottle or can, and like anything else we eat or drink, the smell is a large contributor to the flavor and experience.   A secondary part is that the "mouth-feel" of the glass is more pleasant to most people, compared to a bottle or can.   

Convenience sometimes dictates that it's easier for me to simply drink out of the packaging container-- most often this means drinking from beer cans whilst on the lake, as I don't allow glass on my boat and it's illegal on most public Texas waterways anyway.  I'll also drink bottled or canned beer at bars where they don't have draft options and don't have glasses to pour, but that's becoming less common every day. 

So although they're not great to drink from directly, cans are a far better method to preserve beer than bottles, which is why most craft breweries are switching over to cans these days.  Buy what you like and drink what you like, but if cans are an option, then they're 100% guaranteed to preserve the beer better than bottles ever could.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 08:55:39 AM by utee94 »

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2018, 09:00:03 AM »
Buy what you like and drink what you like, but if cans are an option, then they're 100% guaranteed to preserve the beer better than bottles ever could.
And possibly give you Alzheimers.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2018, 10:44:20 AM »
 All beer is made to be poured into a glass.  Regardless of the transportation vessel-- can, bottle, keg, wooden cask-- it's all better when poured into a glass and consumed that way.  Even crappy macroswill is slightly less crappy when poured into a glass.  A large part of this is because the smell is better detected from the large opening of a glass compared to the smaller opening of a bottle or can, and like anything else we eat or drink, the smell is a large contributor to the flavor and experience.   A secondary part is that the "mouth-feel" of the glass is more pleasant to most people, compared to a bottle or can.  
learned all this at seaworld in San Antonio - brewmaster school or something while my daughters were feeding the dolphins
if the beer is not poured from the bottle or can into a glass and allowed to make a head, then that gas is forced to exit your body by one of two ways
most dirt farmers I drink with kinda enjoy the occasional belch or fart
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2018, 10:49:01 AM »
And possibly give you Alzheimers.
nearly all beer cans, not just Keystone, are lined with Epoxy resins, most of which are made from bisphenol A (BPA).
Probably much more dangerous to your heath than aluminum
I'm sure Cincy can tell you plenty.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2018, 10:53:02 AM »
I thought keystone was glass-lined, not resin-lined?  Did they LIE????

longhorn320

• Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2018, 12:09:54 PM »
nearly all beer cans, not just Keystone, are lined with Epoxy resins, most of which are made from bisphenol A (BPA).
Probably much more dangerous to your heath than aluminum
I'm sure Cincy can tell you plenty.
big deal ...... just another thing I like that can kill me
They won't let me give blood anymore. The burnt orange color scares the hell out of the doctors.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2018, 04:25:16 PM »
I thought keystone was glass-lined, not resin-lined?  Did they LIE????

can you imagine if Charlie broke the glass and sucked down the shards?

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2018, 09:10:43 PM »

If one consumed enough canned beer to develop Alzheimer's, I'm sure he's on his third liver.

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.