header pic

College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!! The Best FREE College Football Forum on the Internet!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Beer

(Read 2756 times)

BrownCounty

• Starter
  • Liked:
Re: Beer
« Reply #60 on: October 16, 2018, 10:56:02 AM »
When we buy a car, we show up in the morning, pick out the car we want, and then sit there all day if need be until they give us essentially dealer cost.

My approach was always to be disinterested.  As if I'm not even shopping for a car that day.  I tell the wife to go to the mall when I'm in this stage of the process.  She's way too easy to read.  I got screwed sideways on a Lexus about 12 years ago because they could read it all over the wife's face.  She was either getting that car or I was living out of a backpack.

At any rate, I play it nonchalant - make me a ridiculous deal and I'm all checkbook.  Otherwise, I got a ball game to watch at noon.

FearlessF

• Team Captain
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: October 16, 2018, 11:25:47 AM »
I'm cold hearted when it comes to my money

I will spend the day.

I'm working on a Husker Red C6 Corvette this fall.  Dealer knows he can't sell it in the winter.  Will be April before anyone comes around.  I told him, "it can either sit in your garage or my garage over the winter."

I'm softening him up via email before I spend the time in his office.
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: October 16, 2018, 11:30:02 AM »
JYeah we’re on the same page here.  We always go in with a “who cares if we get a car” kind of attitude.  And we’re often ready to ease out the door.  They have to keep asking us to stay longer, as we’re fine leaving without a car, no worries.

FearlessF

• Team Captain
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: October 16, 2018, 11:35:46 AM »
yup, ya gotta be willing to walk or you won't get the deal

leave the wife out of it

unless she's mean as hell and on your side :57:
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Starter
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: October 16, 2018, 11:42:03 AM »
My approach was always to be disinterested.  As if I'm not even shopping for a car that day.  I tell the wife to go to the mall when I'm in this stage of the process.  She's way too easy to read.  I got screwed sideways on a Lexus about 12 years ago because they could read it all over the wife's face.  She was either getting that car or I was living out of a backpack.

At any rate, I play it nonchalant - make me a ridiculous deal and I'm all checkbook.  Otherwise, I got a ball game to watch at noon.
Got an awesome deal on my most recent F150 purchase, doing just that.  The key was, I actually could take it or leave it.  Plenty more out there where this one came from and there was no urgency to my buying now, vs 3 months from now.  The salesman felt a lot more urgency than I did.
Your point is right, there's not a TON of room to bargain on an F150, but what I do know, is that I left nothing on the table.  
I walked in to multiple dealerships, test-drove at least a dozen trucks, told them all I what I was doing, and told them exactly what I was looking for-- specifically, I needed a truck that would tow at least 11,000 lbs with all of the appropriate towing options and gear ratios to do so comfortably-- and let them call me over the next week to throw their best at me.
Worked like a charm, and I even lucked into a Platinum package instead of the Lariat or King Ranch, because it was the only one the dealer had that included all my towing specs.  That salesman was motivated.  
And yes, my i s c & a aggie wife stayed out of it.  Similar to BC, she got me completely hosed when we bought her Toyota Solara convertible years ago.

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: October 16, 2018, 11:45:03 AM »
Sweet - What year corvette?  New or ?

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: October 16, 2018, 11:46:05 AM »
I'm cold hearted when it comes to my money

I will spend the day.

I'm working on a Husker Red C6 Corvette this fall.  Dealer knows he can't sell it in the winter.  Will be April before anyone comes around.  I told him, "it can either sit in your garage or my garage over the winter."

I'm softening him up via email before I spend the time in his office.
Wait.
You have times of the year when you can't drive cars?  Or certain cars?
Life in Iowa must be like that March of the Penguins movie.
At the moment, it is 48, cloudy and rainy and I hope it doesn't get any colder or wetter than this or I'm just going to stay in bed.   If it's not over 70 (at least on average), I don't want any part of it.

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: October 16, 2018, 01:05:39 PM »
Yep, a hardiness zone of 7 is the lowest I’ll willingly go.  FF lives in a 4-5 area, which is just way too Brrrrr for me

https://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/

BrownCounty

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: October 16, 2018, 02:49:17 PM »
At the moment, it is 48, cloudy and rainy and I hope it doesn't get any colder or wetter than this or I'm just going to stay in bed.

We're running about 41 degrees in Brownwood, non-stop rain for 3 days and no end in sight.  I suspect the town will be underwater day after tomorrow.  And I'm loving it.

I'm always a sucker for a change in the weather.  Besides, I've got an awesome Carhartt Longhorn coat that I don't get to wear enough.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Starter
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: October 16, 2018, 03:04:20 PM »
49 and cloudy in Austin, it's stopped raining at least for the moment.  I have a massive pot of chili on the burner right now, should be ready about 6.  Smells amazing already though...

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: October 16, 2018, 09:05:51 PM »
This morning my cat stuck his head out the doggie door for about 40 seconds, then pulled it back in, turned his head and gave me one of those Ice Cube gansta stares like he was ready to bust out the AK.

I tried my best to explain I didn’t control the weather but I don’t think he completely bought it.

Being a god in somebody’s eyes is not all you might think it would be.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Starter
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: October 16, 2018, 09:13:17 PM »
Ha!  

True dat

FearlessF

• Team Captain
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: October 16, 2018, 09:54:53 PM »
63 degrees and sunny this afternoon so I played 18 in my shorts

y'all should move here

Beers and cigars are great in this weather

FearlessF

• Team Captain
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: October 16, 2018, 09:59:23 PM »
Sweet - What year corvette?  New or ?
2013 Grand Sport 1LT listed at $33,997
or
2006 Z06 13,300 Miles. Price: Was $36,997 ?? Now $35,997
told them I have $30,000 cash

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: October 17, 2018, 12:04:59 AM »
You’ll be stylin’ either way.  >400 horses.  How far are you from SD?  I think the top speed limit on SD freeways is 80.  Good for a vette.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Starter
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: October 17, 2018, 08:02:31 AM »
If this is the engine talk thread now, I gotta tell you how much I love the 3.5L twin turbo Ecoboost engine in my Ford F150.  After driving plodding V8 trucks for so long, this thing is a breath of fresh air!

And the way it tows, oh lawdy.  I'm pretty darn impressed with this vehicle.

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: October 17, 2018, 11:28:32 AM »
My father was a Mopar man & I tried to respect and uphold that preference.

Honestly aren’t 1970, 71 and 72 big block Cudas glorious?

But in the ‘80s I went with Toyota’s for the sake of reliability.

In the ‘90s when my kids were expensive and my income was inadequate, I couldn’t afford new vehicles or the exorbitant resale costs of foreign cars so I had to go with GM.

Some were great, some were mediocre, some were terrible.

I didn’t like the way GM mismanaged their money or reorganized after their bail out - that I didn’t much like either but I kept on buying and driving used GM products until a few years ago.

I had a Saturn Relay that kept overheating.  I replaced the radiator, hoses, thermostat, thermostat housing and water pump. The evil beast still overheated.  In the weeks I tried to fix it, I unbolted the thermostat housing maybe a couple dozen times.  There was one bolt that was so wickedly placed I became convinced that GM engineers were purely evil sadists.

The last time I failed at resolving the overheating problem, I sold the thing for scrap and became a Ford man.

Fords may not be perfect but I’ve been much happier.  

My oldest son moved out before my conversion so he still contends with OBS Chevy trucks that are broke down more than they run.   Every now and then I’ll ask him how many miles the F350 he drives at work has.  Last time I asked he said it had about 325,000 miles.   He still hasn’t figured out why I ask him that every time his Chevy is inoperable.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Starter
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: October 17, 2018, 11:43:56 AM »
I've had 2 Dodges, 2 Fords, and 2 Chevys in my life.  The 1981 Dodge Omni was a complete POS, but beyond that, reliability has been roughly the same for all of them.  

My i s c & a aggie wife has had a Honda and Toyota in the time we've been together.  The Toyota has had weird electrical problems from Day 1, and I'll never buy another Toyota because of it-- but the Honda was by far the best car I've ever owned.  Zero issues with it other than scheduled maintenance in the ~10 years we had it.  

I have no idea why we got rid of that thing.  My i s c & a aggie wife wanted a new car and liked the Toyota convertible, and we had the money, so we bought it and sold the Honda to my 18yo nephew, who promptly totaled it.  

Sure wish we still had that car.

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: October 17, 2018, 11:55:47 AM »
I'm not even sure I can remember all of the vehicles I've had over the years, but I can probably remember the best and the worst.

The best - 1986 Toyota pickup, 2000 Chevy Cavalier coupe with a 5 speed, 2004 Pontiac Montana, 2012 Ford Fiesta hatchback

The worst - 1988 Cadillac Cimarron, 1994 Chevy Corsica, 2003 Pontiac Sunfire, 2007 Saturn Relay

Funny thing is the Sunfire and Cavalier were basically the same thing, as were the Montana and Relay.   Yet in each group one was somewhat stellar while the other one was pretty much horrible.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Starter
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: October 17, 2018, 11:57:13 AM »
Some of you people change cars often.

I've had my last two SUVs for 12, and 11 years, consecutively.  

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: October 17, 2018, 12:02:45 PM »
I bought the 2004 Montana in the fall of 2005 when the 2006s came out.  At the same time my brother-in-law bought a 2005 Honda Odyssey. 

Naturally he pooh-poohed the Montana as being historically unreliable per Consumer Report, while extolling his Odyssey as vastly superior in every respect.

It's not like I could afford to be choosy.  I spent a whole lot less on my Montana and it was simply the best deal for the money I could afford.

But I guess the evil capricious car gods were on my side, because they blessed my Montana and cursed his Odyssey.

He had to have the transmission, air conditioner and dvd player all replaced over the next few years.  In fact, I think he had the transmission replaced two or three times.

Meanwhile getting a new set of tires was the most costly maintenance I ever had to perform on the Montana.  The kids loved it.   It was funky, sporty, comfortable.

The Trans Am of minivans.

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: October 17, 2018, 12:02:59 PM »
My vehicles have spanned American made trucks, Japanese bikes, and Japanese and German compacts.  My favorites so far were the Ford F100 truck I had backin high school (indestructible, which is what I needed then) and this current VW Golf (which has a great sound system and can flat out scoot in traffic).  I did have a serious crush on my Yamaha 750 that I rode while I was in the service.  But it’s hard to carry the wife and son around on that.

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: October 17, 2018, 12:06:57 PM »
Some of you people change cars often.

I've had my last two SUVs for 12, and 11 years, consecutively.  
The Montana was rear-ended and deemed a total loss by the responsible party's insurance company.  
We kept the Cavalier 14 years.  I kept the Toyota pick up 11 years.  We still have the 2012 Fiesta.
I have five drivers on my insurance.  Cars are like groceries.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Starter
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: October 17, 2018, 12:21:00 PM »
I have no idea what a Montana or Odyssey might be.  Those names sound made up. Are they made up?

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: October 17, 2018, 12:29:05 PM »
I have no idea what a Montana or Odyssey might be.  Those names sound made up. Are they made up?
Please give me an example of a word that was not made up.

Mr Tulip

• Learn to love or leave me. Either one you wanna do.
  • Red Shirt
  • Non Serviam
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: October 17, 2018, 01:36:25 PM »
I have my 2000 Dodge Durango that I bought new. No one else in the family messes with it, so it's mine. When it breaks down, I watch a YouTube video, order parts on Amazon, and ride my bike until I have time to fix it (and most other times even when the truck works anyway).

Now I've got big bass amps shoved in it, because I want it that way.

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: October 17, 2018, 02:49:27 PM »
Just in case Junior really does not know what Montanas and Odysseys are:  

Here's a 2005 Honda Odyssey like my B-I-L had:

This, meanwhile, is a 2004 Pontiac Montana like I had:

As you can see, it was the... Trans Am...

Of minivans!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 02:51:07 PM by CharleyHorse46 »

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: October 17, 2018, 02:54:51 PM »
A friend of mine had an Olds Silhouette.  It was the Cadillac of minivans.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Starter
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: October 17, 2018, 03:34:59 PM »
I really had no idea.  I don't know anything about minivans.  

FearlessF

• Team Captain
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: October 18, 2018, 03:04:13 PM »
You’ll be stylin’ either way.  >400 horses.  How far are you from SD?  I think the top speed limit on SD freeways is 80.  Good for a vette.
I'm 30 minutes from South Dakota
I drove from Sewer City to Sewer Falls up I-29 yesterday afternoon.  Limit is 80mph.  Saw a couple Vettes near Beresford, SD where they are holding my soon to be Red C6.  https://www.jerryschevy.net/
The 2013 Grand Sport has been reduced from $34,997 to $32,997. 

The 2006 Z06 has been reduced from $36,997 to $34,997.
I told the salesman I have cash if he can get to $29,997 on either one.  He's holding out.  Says he can't get there.  If he can't I'm fine with that.  Will take it up again the in spring.

Amazon:
Support the Site:
Please Search Amazon from here!