header pic

College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!! The Best FREE College Football Forum on the Internet!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Beer

(Read 2754 times)

BrownCounty

• Starter
  • Liked:
Re: Beer
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2018, 11:32:19 PM »
and why cans are better than bottles in every possible way.
I knew it!!  Canned beer does taste better.  I knew it wasn't in my mind.

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2018, 01:10:53 AM »
Funny Caveman but now that you brought it up, your choice of common swill and your team loyalties aren’t incongruent at all.  Fancy that.

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2018, 07:43:46 AM »
I prefer beer on tap, followed by beer in bottles. I never buy canned beer.  It just tastes better from a glass IMO.  

So does ice tea and Arnold Palmers. Everything tastes better from glass.

On a similar but somewhat different note, I use deodorant instead of antiperspirant, and my i s c & a w and I used heavy duty Calphalon pots and pans instead of aluminum cookware.  I try very hard to keep my body from absorbing anything with aluminum in it or that has been in contact with aluminum.

I know early ‘90s scientists were never able to directly link the high amounts of aluminum in the brains of Alzheimer patients to things like aluminum cans or cookware or antiperspirants and it is likely a dubious correlation but I ain’t taking no chances.  A mind is a terrible thing to waste.

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2018, 07:52:02 AM »
Cousin Fred is a wonderful sort.

Urbane, sophisticated, cosmopolitan.   College professor, nice guy, raconteur, a success from humble beginnings.

Been everywhere, done everything.  Dusted the grime of Muskogee off his hippie sandals long ago.

But he still carries one small trinket of Oklahoma in his heart - his love of Sooner football.

Probably cause he’d rather hobnob with us eclectic, exasperating yet unceasingly friendly Longhorn fans rather than those crazy, dangerous Uraguan futbol rivals of his beloved Argentina.

And did you know there’s a major road in El Paso named after Fred Wilson?  Makes me smile every time I see it.  I tell everybody there, “I know Fred.  He’s my cousin.”

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Starter
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2018, 08:46:49 AM »
I prefer beer on tap, followed by beer in bottles. I never buy canned beer.  It just tastes better from a glass IMO.  
You're actually 100% correct on this.  All beer is made to be poured into a glass.  Regardless of the transportation vessel-- can, bottle, keg, wooden cask-- it's all better when poured into a glass and consumed that way.  Even crappy macroswill is slightly less crappy when poured into a glass.  A large part of this is because the smell is better detected from the large opening of a glass compared to the smaller opening of a bottle or can, and like anything else we eat or drink, the smell is a large contributor to the flavor and experience.   A secondary part is that the "mouth-feel" of the glass is more pleasant to most people, compared to a bottle or can.   

Convenience sometimes dictates that it's easier for me to simply drink out of the packaging container-- most often this means drinking from beer cans whilst on the lake, as I don't allow glass on my boat and it's illegal on most public Texas waterways anyway.  I'll also drink bottled or canned beer at bars where they don't have draft options and don't have glasses to pour, but that's becoming less common every day. 

So although they're not great to drink from directly, cans are a far better method to preserve beer than bottles, which is why most craft breweries are switching over to cans these days.  Buy what you like and drink what you like, but if cans are an option, then they're 100% guaranteed to preserve the beer better than bottles ever could.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 08:55:39 AM by utee94 »

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2018, 09:00:03 AM »
Buy what you like and drink what you like, but if cans are an option, then they're 100% guaranteed to preserve the beer better than bottles ever could.
And possibly give you Alzheimers.

FearlessF

• Team Captain
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2018, 10:44:20 AM »
 All beer is made to be poured into a glass.  Regardless of the transportation vessel-- can, bottle, keg, wooden cask-- it's all better when poured into a glass and consumed that way.  Even crappy macroswill is slightly less crappy when poured into a glass.  A large part of this is because the smell is better detected from the large opening of a glass compared to the smaller opening of a bottle or can, and like anything else we eat or drink, the smell is a large contributor to the flavor and experience.   A secondary part is that the "mouth-feel" of the glass is more pleasant to most people, compared to a bottle or can.  
learned all this at seaworld in San Antonio - brewmaster school or something while my daughters were feeding the dolphins
if the beer is not poured from the bottle or can into a glass and allowed to make a head, then that gas is forced to exit your body by one of two ways
most dirt farmers I drink with kinda enjoy the occasional belch or fart
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

FearlessF

• Team Captain
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2018, 10:49:01 AM »
And possibly give you Alzheimers.
nearly all beer cans, not just Keystone, are lined with Epoxy resins, most of which are made from bisphenol A (BPA).
Probably much more dangerous to your heath than aluminum
I'm sure Cincy can tell you plenty.
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Starter
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2018, 10:53:02 AM »
I thought keystone was glass-lined, not resin-lined?  Did they LIE????

longhorn320

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2018, 12:09:54 PM »
nearly all beer cans, not just Keystone, are lined with Epoxy resins, most of which are made from bisphenol A (BPA).
Probably much more dangerous to your heath than aluminum
I'm sure Cincy can tell you plenty.
big deal ...... just another thing I like that can kill me
They won't let me give blood anymore. The burnt orange color scares the hell out of the doctors.

FearlessF

• Team Captain
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2018, 04:25:16 PM »
I thought keystone was glass-lined, not resin-lined?  Did they LIE????

can you imagine if Charlie broke the glass and sucked down the shards?

BrownCounty

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2018, 09:10:43 PM »

If one consumed enough canned beer to develop Alzheimer's, I'm sure he's on his third liver.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Starter
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2018, 09:39:21 PM »
Also, there are no credible studies-- no credible link-- between everyday sources of aluminum, and the development of Alzheimer's or other forms of dementia.

In other news, the world is not flat.

longhorn320

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2018, 10:22:55 PM »
If one consumed enough canned beer to develop Alzheimer's, I'm sure he's on his third liver.
who are you
do I know you
They won't let me give blood anymore. The burnt orange color scares the hell out of the doctors.

FearlessF

• Team Captain
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2018, 02:04:02 PM »
Increasing bouts of extreme heat waves and drought will hurt production of barley, a key beer ingredient, in the future. Losses of barley yield can be as much as 17 percent, an international group of researchers estimated.

That means beer prices on average would double, even adjusting for inflation, according to the study in Monday’s journal Nature Plants . In countries like Ireland, where cost of a brew is already high, prices could triple.

https://apnews.com/3f7f6cab367a489fb41d728f8a69f63b

BrownCounty

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2018, 02:06:23 PM »
Increasing bouts of extreme heat waves and drought will hurt production of barley, a key beer ingredient, in the future. Losses of barley yield can be as much as 17 percent, an international group of researchers estimated.

So you're saying global warming may be relevant after all?

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Starter
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2018, 02:09:20 PM »
Consumers of beer have proven to be relatively price-inelastic over the decades, which means that increases to beer prices don't correlate to decreases in demand.  This has proven mostly true over the past 10-15 years, as beer prices have crept up year after year, and demand has remained relatively stable.

But doubling the price from where it is right now ? That would make a dent. 

FearlessF

• Team Captain
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2018, 02:11:08 PM »
hah, if I want to double the price of my beer, I just go from NW Iowa to Austin, TX

FearlessF

• Team Captain
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2018, 03:53:17 PM »
anyone have an opinion on the Shiner Oktoberfest?

I noticed it in the grocery the other evening, but wasn't willing to give $8 for a sixer to test it.

BrownCounty

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2018, 04:08:38 PM »
Consumers of beer have proven to be relatively price-inelastic over the decades, which means that increases to beer prices don't correlate to decreases in demand.

This brings me to a brief interlude.  Smoking.

A couple of decades ago, a pack of cigarettes went from like $1 to $5 almost overnight.  And what happened?  Less people were smoking.  Who was going to pay $5 for a stinking pack of smokes?  What are we, idiots?

But now a new generation comes around.... a generation that doesn't know about the $1 pack.  Teens today will happily pay $5 for a pack of cigs.  And smoking has taken somewhat of a rebound.

What you will pay for something is a matter of conditioning.

FearlessF

• Team Captain
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2018, 04:13:10 PM »
and the huge spike in Cigarettes was the sin tax increase

I will admit, when I'm being charged $10 for a Budweiser, I don't consume as much

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2018, 05:00:34 PM »
Leonard Smalls, the bounty hunter played by Randall "Tex" Cobb in "Raising Arizona," put it quite eloquently when he said, "Price. A fair price. That's not what you say it is, and it's not what I say it is... It's what the market will bear."

In certain venues that offer certain entertainment, I have paid exorbitant prices for certain foods and beverages that would have no business costing near that much in other venues offering other entertainment options.

But once you've spent $20 bucks on a beer or $30 on a burger, you feel a bit hypocritical complaining about the comparatively small yet seemingly outrageous costs of those same items elsewhere.

That's life.  If you want a beer and can afford the price, you'll pay it.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Starter
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2018, 05:04:02 PM »
anyone have an opinion on the Shiner Oktoberfest?

I noticed it in the grocery the other evening, but wasn't willing to give $8 for a sixer to test it.
It's below average for a Marzen/Oktoberfest  beer.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Starter
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2018, 05:06:23 PM »
Leonard Smalls, the bounty hunter played by Randall "Tex" Cobb in "Raising Arizona," put it quite eloquently when he said, "Price. A fair price. That's not what you say it is, and it's not what I say it is... It's what the market will bear."

In certain venues that offer certain entertainment, I have paid exorbitant prices for certain foods and beverages that would have no business costing near that much in other venues offering other entertainment options.

But once you've spent $20 bucks on a beer or $30 on a burger, you feel a bit hypocritical complaining about the comparatively small yet seemingly outrageous costs of those same items elsewhere.

That's life.  If you want a beer and can afford the price, you'll pay it.
For sure, the market is situational and varies based on proximal environment.
But I thought those places that charged for $20 beers also compensated by giving you a juicy sirloin steak for only $3.99?
I'll admit my familiarity with such establishments is minimal.

Mr Tulip

• Learn to love or leave me. Either one you wanna do.
  • Red Shirt
  • Non Serviam
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: October 15, 2018, 05:14:01 PM »
Global Warming to cause beer shortage

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41477-018-0263-1

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2018, 05:19:45 PM »
For sure, the market is situational and varies based on proximal environment.
But I thought those places that charged for $20 beers also compensated by giving you a juicy sirloin steak for only $3.99?
I'll admit my familiarity with such establishments is minimal.

It's the old, 
Do I want it for only $9.99 (plus $17 shipping and handling)?
Or would I rather pay $26.99 and get FREE shipping and handling?
Or
Do I want to pay $37,500 for this new F150 and have them give me $9,000 on my old beater?

Or would I prefer to pay only $28,500 to the people who refuse to take my trade in?
It's all about whatever sounds most tolerable.
They gonna screw you no matter what.  Why wear out everybody by putting up a fight?

BrownCounty

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2018, 09:14:55 AM »
Do I want to pay $37,500 for this new F150 and have them give me $9,000 on my old beater?

Or would I prefer to pay only $28,500 to the people who refuse to take my trade in?

I'm not sure how I feel about the internets when it comes to new car shopping.

On the plus side, you pretty well know what your best purchase price will be for an F150.  A man doesn't have to drive all over the state to compare deals/prices.  You just hop on the internets.  Hence, dealers have to be competitive at first blush or they'll never get your attention.  Not like the old days.

On the negative side, there's no room for bargaining anymore - which I excelled at.  I took great pride 20 years ago driving home in my brand new Chevy single cab 2500 that I got for $21k, and talked the dealership into chrome bumpers to boot.  Sticker was $26k and had black bumpers.

My wife was embarrassed to stand by me while I operated on these guys.  I had to leave once - they called me while we eating lunch.  (We were in Abilene)  But after I closed the deal, my wife felt like she had just won the man lottery.  I couldn't get her off me the rest of that week.

The good ol' days of bargaining, I miss 'em.

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2018, 10:05:13 AM »
When the missus and I first got married and we were DINKs (dual income/no kids) for a minute, I used to take her to resorts and I'd love to agree to listen to the timeshare sales pitches because in half hour, they would throw their best pitch, offer nice swag and I'd just grin and say no.

After one such pitch, my i s c & a w said she really hoped I would never make her sit through one of those ever again.  I said, but they've given us booze cruises and drink vouchers and overnight stays and mini vacations and we haven't spent a dime - only a half hour of listening to a pitch.

She said, "I don't care.  It's just not worth to me."

And thus my days as a coldhearted table-turner ended.

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2018, 10:05:48 AM »
I'm not sure how I feel about the internets when it comes to new car shopping.

On the plus side, you pretty well know what your best purchase price will be for an F150.  A man doesn't have to drive all over the state to compare deals/prices.  You just hop on the internets.  Hence, dealers have to be competitive at first blush or they'll never get your attention.  Not like the old days.

On the negative side, there's no room for bargaining anymore - which I excelled at.  I took great pride 20 years ago driving home in my brand new Chevy single cab 2500 that I got for $21k, and talked the dealership into chrome bumpers to boot.  Sticker was $26k and had black bumpers.

My wife was embarrassed to stand by me while I operated on these guys.  I had to leave once - they called me while we eating lunch.  (We were in Abilene)  But after I closed the deal, my wife felt like she had just won the man lottery.  I couldn't get her off me the rest of that week.

The good ol' days of bargaining, I miss 'em.
Huh, Cave, maybe we have more in common than I thought, except that my wife is at least as much of a hard bargainer as I am.  When we buy a car, we show up in the morning, pick out the car we want, and then sit there all day if need be until they give us essentially dealer cost.  It has worked for all four of our most recent purchases.  The trick is that they still get credit as a dealership for simply selling the car, and there are about I dunno 7-8 or so techniques they go through (including bringing out the store manager who angrily accuses you of not appreciating that they have lives and families and need to make a profit to live) before they finally give in.  They don't want you to leave, but you have no obligation to agree, and so we just sit on our price until they finally come down to it.  It usually takes a full day, but we've always saved a bundle that way.

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2018, 10:15:41 AM »
Huh, Cave, maybe we have more in common than I thought, except that my wife is at least as much of a hard bargainer as I am.  When we buy a car, we show up in the morning, pick out the car we want, and then sit there all day if need be until they give us essentially dealer cost.  It has worked for all four of our most recent purchases.  The trick is that they still get credit as a dealership for simply selling the car, and there are about I dunno 7-8 or so techniques they go through (including bringing out the store manager who angrily accuses you of not appreciating that they have lives and families and need to make a profit to live) before they finally give in.  They don't want you to leave, but you have no obligation to agree, and so we just sit on our price until they finally come down to it.  It usually takes a full day, but we've always saved a bundle that way.
Trick is to come in with financing already settled and STICK WITH IT.
I have a couple of credit unions so I pit them against each other like a cockfight and go with whoever gives me the best deal.
Last time we bought a newer vehicle from a dealer, I told them we had financing covered so we would basically be paying cash.   Then we hunkered down for the day long process of getting the best price.
Somewhere along the line though, I made a terrible mistake.  The dealer asked me if they could check my credit and offer me even better financing.  I should've said no and stuck to my guns but in a moment of idiocy, I said okay.
Flash forward an hour or two we got the price we wanted and we knew for a fact that the financing from our CU was the best we could do.  We took the Jeep and left happy.  We even stood by it and posed for the stupid picture they put on Facebook or whatever.
Then Credit Karma told me my credit had taken a little hit because about 40 lenders had checked my credit that afternoon.
So yeah. I got the deal I wanted but they got a little twist of the knife in before we left.  Needless to say, lesson learn and that's a dealership we'll never go back to.

Amazon:
Support the Site:
Please Search Amazon from here!