header pic

The B12 (XII) Forum, home of the 'Front Porch, y'all' at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: A&M

(Read 10475 times)

Gigem

• Starter
  • Liked:
Re: A&M
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2018, 10:56:06 AM »
I haven't been to a game since Johnny Football's last one Vs Miss St in 2013.  I am not aware of any pre-game constitution activities, it sounds kind of goofy to me.  

You do just realize that EVERYONE out there who is a CFB fan has some reason to pick the team they like?  Some may like the logo, or the colors, or they may have a favorite player or coach.  Heck, some like the system the school runs.  Some like whoever is closest to where they live.  If you think about it, there's US, and then there's THEM.  And if they are not with US, then they are against US, and we are against THEM.  Oh, and by the way, THEM are bad.  They are bad because they're not US and because I say so.  

At the end of the day whatever reason any fan picks is just as valid as any other reason.  

Oh, and BTW, most of the CFB fans I know consider anybody who didn't attend the school they root for a T-shirt fan.  
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 11:27:12 AM by Gigem »

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2018, 11:27:30 AM »
Ed Zachery

as long as that reason is not, just picking a current winner and changing colors if that team starts losing
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

Gigem

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2018, 08:08:06 PM »
I agree and I am not a fan of what LHN cost the Big 12.  But find me any school that would have turned ESPN away and refused having its own network.

And on the other note, remember A&M's "Vision 2020"?  Where did that go?  Long gone.  Joined the SEC, opened up the flood gates, and started stamping out diplomas.

Money talks, academics walk.  And big stadiums look cool anyways.
I think the attendance increase has been going on long before the sec came around. Every time I get up that way they are building a new building or something or other. 

TexasFan

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2018, 08:53:46 AM »
Even Texas Tech made list at #25.

MikeDeTiger

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2018, 11:33:54 AM »
I haven't been to a game since Johnny Football's last one Vs Miss St in 2013.  I am not aware of any pre-game constitution activities, it sounds kind of goofy to me.  

You do just realize that EVERYONE out there who is a CFB fan has some reason to pick the team they like?  Some may like the logo, or the colors, or they may have a favorite player or coach.  Heck, some like the system the school runs.  Some like whoever is closest to where they live.  If you think about it, there's US, and then there's THEM.  And if they are not with US, then they are against US, and we are against THEM.  Oh, and by the way, THEM are bad.  They are bad because they're not US and because I say so.  

At the end of the day whatever reason any fan picks is just as valid as any other reason.  

Oh, and BTW, most of the CFB fans I know consider anybody who didn't attend the school they root for a T-shirt fan.  
You make some good points.
Points I'd probably consider if you didn't belong to a cult  :72:

Gigem

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2018, 04:01:52 PM »
You make some good points.
Points I'd probably consider if you didn't belong to a cult  :72:
A very, very LARGE cult.  Thank you!

TexasFan

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2018, 02:00:45 PM »
I see A&M winning big this weekend over Arkansas.    The line is A&M by 21.  

Gigem

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2018, 09:09:58 PM »
I see A&M winning big this weekend over Arkansas.    The line is A&M by 21.  
We'll see.  I think Ark is better than their record.  

TexasFan

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2018, 01:52:32 PM »
If you guys could score in the red zone today you would be up by 24. 

Gigem

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2018, 07:27:05 PM »
Agreed.  And I thought we had a good kicker but he missed two easy ones.  

Just glad to barely win rather than barely lose like to Clemson.  

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2021, 09:56:14 PM »
In the end, the Longhorn Network, operated by ESPN, was launched in 2011. Of course, its formation was not exactly well received by some of the other Big 12 members at the time, ultimately playing a partial role in Texas A&M's departure for the SEC in time for the 2012 football season. That said, Dodds' interview didn't go by without him acknowledging the benefits that Texas A&M has enjoyed since leaving for a new home.

"Their football looks good," Dodds continued. "The SEC fits A&M, and they've had success over there. The money has been good. Their fans like it. They fill their stadium. I'd say it's been a good thing for them."

https://247sports.com/college/nebraska/Article/texas-am-refused-offer-to-be-part-of-longhorn-network-former-texas-ad-deloss-dodds-big-12-sec-football--166109899/?fbclid=IwAR2uwYxRuT-aXHvgcdJ9TLDg8hgFCkFUK_3aTRMjcbNjciMVLW1S9zPiuA8
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

Gigem

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2021, 08:53:41 AM »
Uh huh.  No information on how the money was to be split, or where the HQ for the network was, or how the leadership would be split.  Just that A&M was offered, and we declined.  I don't think it could have ever really worked, like mixing oil and water really.  

Serious Question:  When does the contract for the LHN expire and is it going to be picked back up?  The TV landscape looks tremendously different now than it did 10+ years ago.  I have heard that the LHN has been and is a money loser for ESPN, and it really doesn't make sense anymore.  The best outcome would be to convert the LHN into the Big 12 Network, but I'm not sure if that ship has already sailed or not.  

Lots of posters on this old thread that haven't been around in awhile (RIP JCG).  

Mr Tulip

• Learn to love or leave me. Either one you wanna do.
  • Player
  • Non Serviam
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2021, 09:50:27 AM »
The politics of carriage deals are now hilariously antiquated. Whereas before, an IP owner like ABC/Disney/ESPN would tell a carrier (like Spectrum or Comcast), "Either carry our new channel on this tier, or else we're not letting you buy ESPN!". That was the mega-hammer. A credible carrier simply could not charge customers for a cable package that didn't include ESPN.

The money spent by Disney on the LHN has a lot of ins and outs. Yes, they likely lost money on the actual showing of the channel and carriage fees (the launch of the network coincided with an unprecedented wasteland of Texas sporting futility), but ESPN also had invested in Tier 1 rights to the Big 12. Securing the LHN secured the Big 12. The $15mil per season would have been a wise use of the money if only to ensure the continuation of the multi-billion dollar Big 12 deal in total.

Really, when the LHN deal is up (and it should be soon), I'd encourage Texas to do something like an in-house produced streaming app through Amazon or something similar. They have the facilities, I think it would be good experience, and even at a minimal $5 or something per month cost, I believe it could out-earn the LHN.

longhorn320

• Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2021, 10:51:53 AM »
I seem to remember 2025 as the date LHN expires but not sure

Not only was a partnership offered to aggie but prior to that the conference voted down establishing a Big 12 network

The LHN was choice number 3
They won't let me give blood anymore. The burnt orange color scares the hell out of the doctors.

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.