header pic

The B12 (XII) Forum, home of the 'Front Porch, y'all' at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: A&M

(Read 10448 times)

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Re: A&M
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2018, 05:13:19 PM »
I try to behave

I don't start many threads.
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

TexasFan

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2018, 03:14:18 PM »
I like to see A&M do well.   I pull for all the Texas schools and want to see them win.  Just not against Texas.  :)

TyphonInc

• Starter
  • Easily Amused
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2018, 08:08:11 AM »
is Bill Byrne still alive???

I find it interesting that they chose this 3 year period. Both Texas schools are reporting over 200 million for 2017. And a USA today article says with the stadium renovation A&M has made over 190 million each of the last 3 years. Doing some funky math this chart is saying A&M made $148*3 years = $444. Then the USA today article says they made at least $190 in '15 and '16 ($380) 
$444 - $380 = only $64 million in '14. That's a huge revenue jump I'm having trouble reconciling.
Actually SEC Country has an article saying Aggies went from $73('14) to $192 ('15), so the math isn't that far off from this chart and the USA today article.  

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2018, 10:14:35 AM »
and the Horns are expanding their south endzone to pack in more paying customers?
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2018, 10:14:54 AM »
You know what jumps out at me?

Texas has the most recent MNC of the top three teams.  

:72:

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2018, 10:17:00 AM »
and the Horns are expanding their south endzone to pack in more paying customers?
I heard Texas AD Chris Del Conte on the radio this morning.  Sounded like he had just woke up.  His Ses sounded like SHes.
He said Texas will be putting a 3,000 square foot Hall of Fame in the North End Zone.
He said other interesting things too that I wanted to remember and share but I can't remember them now.
I want a doughnut.

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2018, 11:07:26 AM »

Their will be some seats added, but mostly skyboxes and a sports museum of sorts.

Gigem

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2018, 02:32:59 PM »
What's impressive about it?  Adding more at A&M basically just lowered entrance requirements for every college in Texas except Rice and UT.

Academic rankings in one hand and wads of cash in the other.  After careful consideration, A&M goes for the cash.

SEC.
Bullshit.  So there are two flagship universities in the state but with the population continuing to climb we should just leave the amount of accepted students the same?  And as far as entrance requirements I believe A&M's are as tough as ever.  I'm not aware of many state colleges that are as difficult to get into as A&M and UT and I haven't heard of any of them lowering their requirements.  I think you have to remember that A&M physically has the room to expand and I think it's a good thing for the state.  
I find it ironic you would say that we went for the cash when the LHN is one of the things that broke apart the Big XII in the first place.  

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2018, 02:56:18 PM »
Dude,

EVERYONE goes for the cash.  Nothing to be ashamed of.....

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2018, 03:06:17 PM »
I find it ironic you would say that we went for the cash when the LHN is one of the things that broke apart the Big XII in the first place.  

I agree and I am not a fan of what LHN cost the Big 12.  But find me any school that would have turned ESPN away and refused having its own network.

And on the other note, remember A&M's "Vision 2020"?  Where did that go?  Long gone.  Joined the SEC, opened up the flood gates, and started stamping out diplomas.

Money talks, academics walk.  And big stadiums look cool anyways.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 03:08:08 PM by BrownCounty »

MikeDeTiger

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2018, 05:58:52 PM »
I was recently accosted on facebook by a t-shirt Aggie "fan," a transplant from Illinois who moved to College Station.  He'd taken his young son to a game and was saying how much he loved the atmosphere and the "patriotisms" and what a great school/team they were, and how God had given them a great place to call home.  I jokingly told him there was still time for him to repent, utterly failing to remember this guy in all probability is not an actual CFB fan.  And also he's a hard-line Trump supporter and I'll just leave it at that.  

He responded "Did LSU recite the Preamble to the Constitution before their game?  No, I didn't think so."  That should have been the only flag I needed to drop it and remember that this young guy is not an actual cfb fan.  But because facebook makes me dumber--and I don't think I'm alone in that--I instead responded "No, they were busy beating another top ten team."  To which he immediately fired back "I'll take the team whose school is based on character and service to others.  That's the Aggie way."  By that time I had come to my senses and respond no further.  

But there it was, his "fandom" is based on reciting the Preamble to the Constitution?  Somehow the school I root for is apparently unpatriotic for only playing the national anthem before games?  Of course he can't fathom that my fandom is rooted in where I come from....it's a school that represents my hometown and home state and most of the kids who play their are locally grown, and it's where my dad took me to games when I was a kid.  But I'm supposed to throw that out the window and go with another school because they're more patriotic?

Well of course he doesn't understand.  Like I said, t-shirt fan.  

But I kinda lolz at the notion that this is the type of person A&M attracts, and while this guy is actually a great young man in real life, it does nothing to dispel my notion that A&M is a friggin' cult.

.....but if I were really out to burst his bubble, I'd let him know all about that "character" and ask him if reciting the Preamble gets them off the hook for cheating more than Auburn and Alabama combined.  

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2018, 10:45:30 PM »
He responded "Did LSU recite the Preamble to the Constitution before their game?
A&M doesn't either.  Not sure which game he went to, but it was obviously a one-hit wonder for him.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2018, 10:53:09 PM »
  But because facebook makes me dumber--and I don't think I'm alone in that--
no wonder I don't need facebook............ this poor dirt farmer is dumb enough!

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2018, 11:59:12 PM »
I was recently accosted on facebook by a t-shirt Aggie "fan," a transplant from Illinois who moved to College Station.  He'd taken his young son to a game and was saying how much he loved the atmosphere and the "patriotisms" and what a great school/team they were, and how God had given them a great place to call home.  I jokingly told him there was still time for him to repent, utterly failing to remember this guy in all probability is not an actual CFB fan.  And also he's a hard-line Trump supporter and I'll just leave it at that.  

He responded "Did LSU recite the Preamble to the Constitution before their game?  No, I didn't think so."  That should have been the only flag I needed to drop it and remember that this young guy is not an actual cfb fan.  But because facebook makes me dumber--and I don't think I'm alone in that--I instead responded "No, they were busy beating another top ten team."  To which he immediately fired back "I'll take the team whose school is based on character and service to others.  That's the Aggie way."  By that time I had come to my senses and respond no further.  

But there it was, his "fandom" is based on reciting the Preamble to the Constitution?  Somehow the school I root for is apparently unpatriotic for only playing the national anthem before games?  Of course he can't fathom that my fandom is rooted in where I come from....it's a school that represents my hometown and home state and most of the kids who play their are locally grown, and it's where my dad took me to games when I was a kid.  But I'm supposed to throw that out the window and go with another school because they're more patriotic?

Well of course he doesn't understand.  Like I said, t-shirt fan.  

But I kinda lolz at the notion that this is the type of person A&M attracts, and while this guy is actually a great young man in real life, it does nothing to dispel my notion that A&M is a friggin' cult.

.....but if I were really out to burst his bubble, I'd let him know all about that "character" and ask him if reciting the Preamble gets them off the hook for cheating more than Auburn and Alabama combined.  
Amos, I think you’re missing the point.  
This is win/win.
This dude found something in life that struck a chord within him.  Good for him.  We should all be so lucky. 
And his infatuation with A&M ain’t hurting nobody.  It’s a victimless crime.
It’s all good.  It’s a total win.  God blesshim.
You may be wondering how it’s win/win.  How do you win?
You get to feel intellectually superior and mock him on message boards.
What could be more fun than that?

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.