header pic

The B12 (XII) Forum, home of the 'Front Porch, y'all' at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: A&M

(Read 10450 times)

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
A&M
« on: September 09, 2018, 05:40:38 PM »
I went over to the SEC thread to congratulate our Aggie friends and I couldn't even see a game thread.  That place is still kind of a pigsty.  A&M plays the #2 team in the country and they seem more obsessed with Tennessee.  Whatever.

So I know there's no solace in losing.  I know there are no moral victories.

All the same, I envy you crazy coots because your 1-1 record looks so much more promising than our 1-1 record.

It looks like there are good things on the horizon for you guys (unless of course I'm jinxing you by saying this - in which case, oops, sorry, my bad).

So congratulations.  You look like interesting neighbors to keep an eye on.

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
Re: A&M
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 07:50:30 PM »
I like to see A&M do well, it forces Texas' hand.

Shiner

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 08:45:23 AM »
Two missed FG's.  One from about 25yds out.  What could have been.... 

Oh well.  We get another chance at glory in a couple weeks at Alabama. 

TexasFan

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2018, 09:10:31 AM »
A&M was an eight game or so winner in the BIG 12 as they are in the SEC.   What surprised me the other day is that A&M is 2-12 against top twenty teams at home over the past ten years?  

Gigem

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2018, 05:37:13 PM »
A&M was an eight game or so winner in the BIG 12 as they are in the SEC.   What surprised me the other day is that A&M is 2-12 against top twenty teams at home over the past ten years?

Why would that surprise you?  Fran, Sherman, and Sumlin. Sumlin may not make the year at AU.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 08:53:01 PM by Gigem »

Gigem

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 08:49:58 PM »
I went over to the SEC thread to congratulate our Aggie friends and I couldn't even see a game thread.  That place is still kind of a pigsty.  A&M plays the #2 team in the country and they seem more obsessed with Tennessee.  Whatever.

All the same, I envy you crazy coots because your 1-1 record looks so much more promising than our 1-1 record.

It looks like there are good things on the horizon for you guys (unless of course I'm jinxing you by saying this - in which case, oops, sorry, my bad).

It's because we haven't been around in the SEC long enough for there to be much hate sans Arkansas fans.  It's strange because you would assume there would be a Husker Prick Squad-esque clique of GA, Bama, Fla, and LSU fans but really so far there isn't.  

I gotta admit I was real nervous about the move to the SEC.  I don't remember the SWC.  I grew up in the Big 12.  My first conference game as a student was A&M's first B12 game vs Colorado (we lost) in 1996.  I was there when we came back to beat oSu down by 17 pts in 1997 and I was there for all the losses against the Red Raiders and the Bonfire Game '99.  I was a student when we won the CCG vs. KSU ( always felt bad that it had to be us to ruin their lifetime chance).  

But I've got to admit the SEC has been good for us.  We are the only Texas SEC program, we get to play a whole lot of marquee games, and we are always, always on TV.  Emphasis on the always.  Do you remember around 2011 when Sherman was our coach we weren't even on TV until like the 4th game of the season?  And WTF is up with the A&M vs. Texas games that were 10 am affairs the Friday after Thanksgiving?  10 am?!!  The worst crime of all IMO is the A&M/Tech barn-burners that didn't make TV.  Farkin' Iowa St. vs Kansas would make TV but not A&M/Tech?  

We made the right move, we just haven't done our part on the field.  Hopefully Saban will keel over pretty soon, LSU will go into the dumpster (they are past due) and we can move up in the SEC-W.  Lookin' forward to our first CCG in Atlanta!!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 08:58:24 PM by Gigem »

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2018, 11:01:23 PM »
is Bill Byrne still alive???

"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

Gigem

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2018, 02:45:41 AM »
I saw that article posted today and was slightly surprised.  I knew we were up there but I thought we still had quite a ways to pass The Great Satan to the West.  

I didn't realize until recently that there are 20,000 more students at A&M now then when I was there in the late 90's to early 00's.  We had like 43,000 and now there are over 60K.  A&M, being 5200 acres, has a little room to grow compared to other campuses.  

Billy Byrne is definitely still alive and his son I believe is the AD at 'Bama.  
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 02:47:33 AM by Gigem »

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2018, 11:26:09 AM »
That's a kind of interesting list, particularly the profit column, which seems to me more important than the gross revenue.  And what's up with Bama?  They're tied for #3 for revenue, but are way down at #9 for profit.  Maybe they should get a new CFO or something.

Anyway, yeah, impressive about A&M.  60K students.  Damn that's a lot.  If the A&M student body were in Oklahoma, it would be the 7th largest city in the state!

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2018, 11:33:53 AM »
Yeah, A&M has typically fallen short of the high expectations I think we all (including particularly A&M fans) have for the place, given the resources and top recruiting classes the Ags often get.  And the amazing fan support.  There must be some serious long-term offenses to the ECFGs back in the Aggie past ...

But in tribute to the tremendous Aggie potential, here's a song for you guys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a41whQ9yMLk

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2018, 11:56:38 AM »
That's a kind of interesting list, particularly the profit column, which seems to me more important than the gross revenue.  And what's up with Bama?  They're tied for #3 for revenue, but are way down at #9 for profit.  Maybe they should get a new CFO or something.
paying all those 5 star recruits and their families is expensive
the bagman also gets a peice
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2018, 12:08:53 PM »
Anyway, yeah, impressive about A&M.  60K students.

What's impressive about it?  Adding more at A&M basically just lowered entrance requirements for every college in Texas except Rice and UT.

Academic rankings in one hand and wads of cash in the other.  After careful consideration, A&M goes for the cash.

SEC.

MikeDeTiger

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2018, 02:58:48 PM »
That place is a graveyard.  My interest started dwindling as the traffic dwindled, and the football talk is....well, the less said about it, the better.  
I made a final pre-season post, it went about how I expected, and I'm not sure I'll ever click on that board again.  I definitely don't get any smarter when I read it.  

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2018, 04:48:30 PM »
You non-Big-12ers are more than welcome over here.  We can talk about whatever.

Just don't mimic us.  

I remember one time when we were all at CFB news possibly well-meaning folks from other conferences came into our conference folder to start conversations so stupid they wouldn't dare start them in their own conference thread.

Just because we start stupid topics doesn't mean we want a lot of interlopers coming in and starting stupider topics.  This ain't no city dump.

Say whatever you want - within the threads we got.

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.