header pic

The B12 (XII) Forum, home of the 'Front Porch, y'all' at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Ohio State and Tom Herman

(Read 10886 times)

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
Re: Ohio State and Tom Herman
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2018, 03:15:19 PM »
That of course doesn't mean it didn't happen, and I personally prefer to believe that our coach and his attractive wife DID snort the nose candy off a peeler's rack. :)
Barry Switzer approves of this message.  Sounds like Tom and Barry might get along just fine.

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2018, 04:31:50 PM »
Back in the '70s, Texas tried a quick kick against OU.  A quick kick, of course, being a completely surprise punt out of a normal offensive formation on a non-punting down.  Sounds crazy nowadays that anybody would willing turn the ball over on a 2nd or 3rd down but back when offenses moved slowly in small increments while aggressive defenses kicked butt, the idea of pinning your opponent back inside their ten was sound football strategy.

None the less, quick kicks were rare.  You only pulled that rabbit out of your hat once every six or seven years.

So DKR and the Horns had a quick kick all planned and OU read it like they were expecting it.  The play backfired spectacularly and Texas lost to OU.

Feeling like something wasn't quite right about that, DKR launched an investigation and determined that a OU assistant named Larry Lacewell had snuck into Texas Memorial Stadium, hid in a restroom, and spied on Texas' practices.   DKR went public, Lacewell denied it and Switzer laughed it off.

Years later, both Lacewell and Switzer admitted it was true, but long before those of us who follow the Horns got to hear that news, we heard another story about Switzer and Lacewell.

We heard Switzer seduced Lacewell's wife, Lacewell's marriage ended, Switzer laughed it off and Lacwell remained loyal to Switzer.

There wasn't much joy down here to be gained from hearing such a nasty story.  Just kind of weird feeling that folks up north in that belly of Oklahoma/Arkansas were kind of sick or stupid and Switzer was even lower than we thought.

Hate to stick that out there after Cousin Fred so graciously defended Herman.  Guess I'm just saying there ain't nothing new under the sun.

Coaches are kind of alphas.  Alphas are kind of jerks.  Nothing really surprises me.  I just kind of wish we could be spared the details sometimes.

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2018, 08:25:01 PM »
He was a self-described Bootlegger's Boy.  Successful, but not admirable.  Charismatic, but not a good role model.

Bob Stoops came along and showed that you can be both a winner and highly ethical at the same time.  And, it appears Lincoln Riley is more like Stoops than Switzer.  That's a good thing.

As for Tom Herman, I will reserve comment.  Like BC, I'm not too much into "man drama."  Soap operas are for daytime tv, which I don't watch, and supermarket tabloids, which I don't read.

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2018, 08:52:53 AM »
He was a self-described Bootlegger's Boy.  Successful, but not admirable.  Charismatic, but not a good role model.

Bob Stoops came along and showed that you can be both a winner and highly ethical at the same time.  And, it appears Lincoln Riley is more like Stoops than Switzer.  That's a good thing.

As for Tom Herman, I will reserve comment.  Like BC, I'm not too much into "man drama."  Soap operas are for daytime tv, which I don't watch, and supermarket tabloids, which I don't read.
True, true, true
And in hindsight my 50-some-odd year old self sees Switzer (and Lacewell) as distinctively more Arkie than Okie, much like the equally sketchy Jerry Jones and Jimmy Johnson.  Not so much as an Okie like the laidback but colorful Mike Gundy or Troy Aikman.  Course I couldn't see that distinction when I was 11.
Texas had its own lovable Okie too.  
Incidentally my mom and all of her sisters were from Oklahoma.  I have cousins from Arkansas.
My mom and aunts were fun, country, crazy and violatile but you always felt physically safe with them.  They might rip you a new one, destroy your self-esteem and send you to years of therapy but you could feel certain you'd be alive to go to bed that night.
Not so with the Arkansas cousins.  They were liable to accidentally shoot you, get you bit by a snake or in a brawl with some stranger but it was all in the name of good clean fun.  No animus.  Just danger.

MikeDeTiger

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2018, 09:54:22 AM »

Not so with the Arkansas cousins.  They were liable to accidentally shoot you, get you bit by a snake or in a brawl with some stranger but it was all in the name of good clean fun.  No animus.  Just danger.
This is correct.  Would've also accepted Alabama, Tennessee and Georgia as correct answers.  

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2018, 08:42:17 AM »
That's like... four of the same thing.

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2018, 09:35:43 AM »
Alabama is the dumpiest of all those for sure.

TexasFan

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2018, 09:25:01 AM »
What gives with Tom Herman and his wife?    Let Zach Smith go and shut up.

https://sports.yahoo.com/texas-coach-tom-hermans-wife-trolls-zach-smith-ice-cold-t-shirt-011518950.html

Mr Tulip

• Learn to love or leave me. Either one you wanna do.
  • Player
  • Non Serviam
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2018, 10:19:30 AM »
What gives with Tom Herman and his wife?    Let Zach Smith go and shut up.

https://sports.yahoo.com/texas-coach-tom-hermans-wife-trolls-zach-smith-ice-cold-t-shirt-011518950.html
She's know for her strong Twitter game. It's very true that, when you're attached to the boss of a large public enterprise like Texas Football, Inc, that it's safer to maintain a low profile and just smile a lot, Courtney Herman has never hesitated to bring the offense.
She's a shade-throwing master ninja. Not usually one to wade into the muck and haphazardly sling poo, her responses are brilliantly subtle, on point, and cutting.

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2018, 10:59:06 AM »
When psychos hone in on me I’d much rather be the silent dog prepared to bite than the barking dog egging on the psycho but all of these football coaches and their wives are alphas much like politicians.  They’re not normal people like us.  All we can do is enjoy or lament the entertainment of their panache.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2018, 11:08:07 AM »
She's also using it as a platform to raise money for charity, so there's that.

longhorn320

• Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2018, 11:29:11 AM »
I think sadly that we live in a time that to remain quiet in the face of accusations marks you as guilty

They won't let me give blood anymore. The burnt orange color scares the hell out of the doctors.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2018, 11:43:14 AM »
That's a decent point, lh320

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2018, 02:19:04 PM »
She's a shade-throwing master ninja. Not usually one to wade into the muck and haphazardly sling poo, her responses are brilliantly subtle, on point, and cutting.
this maybe very true, but there's a saying about wrestling with pigs
and that saying is always true
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.