header pic

The B12 (XII) Forum, home of the 'Front Porch, y'all' at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Ohio State and Tom Herman

(Read 10938 times)

MikeDeTiger

• All Star
  • Liked:
Re: Ohio State and Tom Herman
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2018, 12:11:02 AM »
Jeez.... by that logic there hasn't been A REAL MAN in office since George Washington lead the colonies through the Revolutionary War.  

This is ridiculous.  

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2018, 08:46:01 AM »
Well of course it is.  This is the internet.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2018, 09:09:49 AM »
did someone say ridiculous?
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2018, 10:26:27 AM »
Here’s a crazy thought:

Instead of contributing to polarization, how about we tap the brakes on demonizing hyperboles.

How about we start standing up to such nonsense instead of contributing to it.

Each president was an imperfect human being with good qualities and bad, sound ideas and flawed.

We each may have very valid, eloquent reasons for our ideollogic beliefs.

It doesn’t enhance our position to mock the opposition or extrapolate their positions to erroneous assumptions.

We live in an ugly country because that’s what we do.

Mr Tulip

• Learn to love or leave me. Either one you wanna do.
  • Player
  • Non Serviam
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2018, 11:06:00 AM »
This is good thread for this board, and a good group of people to have it in front of. It stabs at what I feel is the heart of the problem.

We're college football fans. We blindly and passionately support our programs through thick and thin. We're allowed to see argument through whatever subjective prism suits us.

The problem is, this isn't real. It's a hallucination. When it's over, our lives just haven't been materially altered based on the actions of 18-22 year olds.

Conflate that against elected officials. They're public servants installed to present solutions to actual, real-world problems. These problems are almost never binary, and almost never have an obvious perfect answer. As such, our system gives them time in office to demonstrate that their efforts are beneficial in the aggregate - rather than demanding immediate gratification.

I propose that we're currently using our "sports fan" model in our political life. We're assigning labels (good and bad) and choosing which facts we like. We support "our team" and revel in the cheers while encouraging the venom spewed toward the "opponent". We never stop to consider the credentials or likelihood of problem solving ability in the choices provided.

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2018, 04:23:02 PM »
Politics board is over there ------->

utee makes a good point.  We don't want to go sour with political arguments.

But what do y'all call a "real" man?  Dang guys, I could have 4-5 job offers in less than a week right now.  But I like my job so...

Mr Tulip

• Learn to love or leave me. Either one you wanna do.
  • Player
  • Non Serviam
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2018, 04:52:49 PM »
Game recognize game. A "real man" feels no pressure nor inclination to change his extrinsic stylings in order to convey "manliness" to another.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2018, 05:35:28 PM »
Well I don't know ALL of the criteria, but Mike Gundy seemed to think that being 40 was at least one of them.

MikeDeTiger

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2018, 06:29:37 PM »
It's the plumbing.

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2018, 05:04:37 PM »
Gundy was standing up for his kids against unfair judgment from the press.  I imagine that whatever political side we're on, we feel that the press is unfair to our side.  We'll all be able to give examples, and I think we'd all be right.  This is not an invitation to go there, but a neutral statement saying, let's don't.

Much more importantly, apart from that, I like the standing up for his peeps part.  I like the idea of taking the responsibility for what happens to his team, and shifting it away from his kids.  Not all coaches or presidents or, in my world, dept chairs or deans, are MAN (or WOMAN) enough to do that.  But it's what makes a good leader in my book.  Are you responsible for your own team and accept the blame when things don't go well OR do you blame your subordinates (or players or those who work for you) for problems that come up, simply because you can dump on them?

For me this is why Gundy's rant was really admirable.  He told the press to come after him, and leave his kids alone.  Damn straight.  I like that guy, despite the fact that he's coach of the Pokes.

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2018, 05:24:27 PM »
And, of course, there's always leadership training principles, such as I was taught when I became a non-commissioned officer in the USMC, which when it comes right down to it, are not that different from rules we all probably learned back in Sunday School or Kindergarten. 

If you're a guy and live up to those 14 principles, I'd say you're doing pretty good in the MAN department.

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2018, 11:06:19 AM »
Hopefully I’m not the kind of guy that would grope to defend folks on my favorite team, regardless of facts, but gee whiz.

You hate to see a dirty laundry meltdown on Twitter like Zach Smith is having.

Wow.

Such salaciousness is kind of like tromping across the sopping wet floor of a public bathroom.  Makes you feel dirty and repulsed.

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2018, 12:04:26 PM »
You hate to see a dirty laundry meltdown on Twitter like Zach Smith is having.

Herman better win lots of games.  Lots.

I'm sure Del Conte understands what is and isn't "Texas standard".  We don't want no man drama around here.

longhorn320

• Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2018, 12:26:54 PM »
assuming UT wins 9 or 10 games this season I think TH is right on schedule
They won't let me give blood anymore. The burnt orange color scares the hell out of the doctors.

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.