header pic

The B12 (XII) Forum, home of the 'Front Porch, y'all' at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: It’s still off-season - Fashion!

(Read 10485 times)

Mr Tulip

• Learn to love or leave me. Either one you wanna do.
  • Player
  • Non Serviam
  • Liked:
Re: It’s still off-season - Fashion!
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2018, 04:15:42 PM »
I never been a sandal wearer but most of my adult life in Texas and Arizona if the weather is over 55ish and sunny I'm wearing shorts and flip flops and a t-shirt 90% of the time when I leave the house for anything other than work or the rare times I go somewhere "formal".

Speaking of work. While I've always considered myself a desert rat who never minded the sweltering summers here too much I will say having to wear steel toed work boot with thick jeans (and being outside a decent chunk of time I'm working) has made me tolerate these summers a lot less than I used to. I mean I still love it here and will likely never move, but still.
My 8" ceramic boots weigh about 1/3 as much as my 4" steel ones.

UT-Erin03

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2018, 05:47:30 PM »
The cargo shorts issue is kinda funny. 
I think us women are jealous of all the pockets on them, since our pockets are either non-existent or so tiny they won't even hold a wallet. 

The husband-type wears his cargo shorts and I don't really care either way.  If he's NOT wearing them, he's more likely to hand me his crap to put in my purse, so I would almost rather him look uncool in cargo shorts and carry his own stuff.     I could always buy him a fanny pack, since it appears those are making a come back these days, but even those seem less cool than cargo shorts to me.  

MikeDeTiger

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2018, 07:00:39 PM »
Well, I mean, what else am I supposed to be wearing?  I should note here that I don't much care about pockets and I've rarely used them.  Cargo shorts to me were more about the fit and cut of the things rather than the utility.  CH is right, once the meat and potatoes get used to having room to breathe, they don't take kindly to claustrophobic conditions.  I could just as happily wear shorts without any pockets, but when I go to the store the shorts they're selling look like something made for twig-legged wusses who don't plan on actually moving.  Plus the colors are atrocious.  It's all pastels.  And may I just say, HELL.  NO.

Also I can only assume that the guys who wear those things have small penises.  I don't say that as an attack on their manhood, but rather as a statement of fact about their anatomy given the crotchal restriction they've confined themselves to.  

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2018, 08:24:18 PM »
My 8" ceramic boots weigh about 1/3 as much as my 4" steel ones.
I've worn composite safety toes for over 25 years
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2018, 11:22:33 PM »
I hate flip flops.  I don't like anything between my toes, bugs the crap out of me.

I wear sandals when canoeing or camping around water, and about the only ones I've ever found that have the required utility and comfort are Tevas.

Otherwise I'm wearing shoes of one kind or another.

MikeDeTiger

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2018, 10:46:13 AM »
I hated flip flops growing up and never wore them.  It wasn't having something between my toes, it was that my normal gait took my feet right out of the things.  I felt like I had to unnaturally clench my toes and feet somehow to keep the things on.  One day in 2005 I got 3rd degree burns on my feet from the sun from being out on the Guadalupe too long.*  I couldn't stand socks or my Nike's for a long while after that.  Bought my first pair of flip flops and after I wore them for about a week, whatever different motion was required to wear them easily became second nature and I never had to think about it again.  By the time the burn healed into a tan I had become enthralled with the sheer ease of putting on and taking off my shoes.  No tying, no staps, no buckles....I was hooked.  I wore flip flops anytime I could until I developed foot problems such that they're no longer an option.  

*Yes, I had on sunscreen, but the river washed it off of my feet because they were in the water enough to wash off the stuff, but apparently out of it enough that I caught way more sun than I realized at the time.  My skin passed red and had gone to a weird incandescent blue.  My co-workers were horrified.  It'd make you swear that if you put me in a dark closet, the tops of my feet would've provided a small amount of light, but they didn't really glow, they just looked like it.  Until the doc told me, I had no idea 3rd degree burns were possible from sunlight.  I thought the marks would never go away.  I had that tan line well past the time I left Texas.  It did eventually all vanish tho, about 8 years later.  I'm surprised I didn't immediate cancer and have to amputate.  

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2018, 01:12:48 PM »
The cargo shorts issue is kinda funny.
I think us women are jealous of all the pockets on them, since our pockets are either non-existent or so tiny they won't even hold a wallet.

The husband-type wears his cargo shorts and I don't really care either way.  If he's NOT wearing them, he's more likely to hand me his crap to put in my purse, so I would almost rather him look uncool in cargo shorts and carry his own stuff.     I could always buy him a fanny pack, since it appears those are making a come back these days, but even those seem less cool than cargo shorts to me.  
You know, I've heard that observation a lot from my female friends and it always makes me think that creating a line of women's clothing with ample pockets would be a great niche market opportunity. 
Problem of course is you need a sufficient capital base and a sense for women's fashion, and even after 26 years of marriage in a family run by Latinas, I have absolutely no sense of womens clothing, and am thus forever hopeless in that regard.  The only thing I know for sure is that I need to check every purchase of my own clothing with "the authorities" back home (because there's no way I'll buy anything for her "unchaperoned" except maybe a scarf, and even that's a nerve wracking prospect), and thanks to the iPhone camera, this is easy to do.  The iPhone has saved me a ton of return trips to the store, and I'm forever grateful to Steve Jobs and co for that.
And, my 2 cents on the fanny pack.  It's a hell of a thing, givin' a man a fanny pack. Take away all the masculinity he's got, and all the masculinity he's ever gonna have.

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2018, 01:20:20 PM »
I'm neutral on cargo pants.  I wear them when I'm doing some home repair project.  They're perfect for that.  But I really don't wear them out much, unless it's a hot day and I'm going to Home Depot or something.  

Actually I don't wear shorts much at all.  See above comment about being married into a family run by Latinas.  It's a cultural thing.  Guys don't often wear shorts in Argentina (and probably in most of L.Am. but I can only vouch for Arg), unless they're engaged in a sports activity or are at the beach etc. So, I just wear loose pants, and avoid living in hot climates, and yeah, I do play a lot of sports.

But minivans, no way in hell - lol.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 01:32:55 PM by CousinFreddie »

UT-Erin03

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2018, 02:14:37 PM »
I will say the husband-type wears soccer shorts much more often than cargo shorts.  And he refuses to wear flip flops, even on the beach.  No sandals, either, he's all tennis shoes all day, even if it's 100 degrees.   Or he would be barefoot, I can't get the guy to wear shoes in our own yard, even when he comes in with splinters on his feet asking me to get them out with my tweezers.    This is when flip flops are very useful, but noooooo, he would rather risk splinters and hot pavement with his bare feet rather than slip on some flip flops.   I don't think it has anything to do with the between-the-toes thing, because he even has the regular sliders that don't go between the toes, but he's just stubborn about proper footwear. 

Yes, we need more women's wear with decent pockets.  Can you believe they even give us FAKE pockets?  Like they will make perfectly good pants for work, but the "pockets" on the back are sewn shut and all for show with no real use.     I'm guessing the clothing industry is in cahoots with the purse industry for convincing us why we need these 3-gallon handbags that cost $500 and maybe that's why this pocket-epidemic is occurring.    

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2018, 03:43:08 PM »

Ed Zachery
and what they call SUV's today are merely the minivan w/o the sliding side door
it's either a car or a truck or a glorified minivan in my book
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2018, 04:24:13 PM »
... Or he would be barefoot, I can't get the guy to wear shoes in our own yard, even when he comes in with splinters on his feet asking me to get them out with my tweezers.    This is when flip flops are very useful, but noooooo, he would rather risk splinters and hot pavement with his bare feet rather than slip on some flip flops.   ...

Yes, we need more women's wear with decent pockets.  Can you believe they even give us FAKE pockets?  Like they will make perfectly good pants for work, but the "pockets" on the back are sewn shut and all for show with no real use.     I'm guessing the clothing industry is in cahoots with the purse industry for convincing us why we need these 3-gallon handbags that cost $500 and maybe that's why this pocket-epidemic is occurring.    
A collusion with the purse industry??  Ah, yes, I love that idea, and it makes sense.  Hmm, I guess if we tried to start a cottage industry to make womens clothing with multo pockets that we might find ourselves at the bottom of some harbor with concrete purses chained to our bodies?  Or maybe they would fill all those extra pockets with quikrete to make sure the message was clear for all.
In defense of your husband, maybe he spent his youth like me running around barefoot in the summers and so it's just an attempt to reclaim those carefree days?  Illogical moves (as seen by others) are sometimes founded on childhood memory stuff like that ... or of course sometimes we're just illogical for no reason at all!

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2018, 04:32:24 PM »
Minivans are ugly, and they also can't tow my boat or my RV, so I'll never own one. My kids are also old enough to open their own doors, so there you have it.

Mr Tulip

• Learn to love or leave me. Either one you wanna do.
  • Player
  • Non Serviam
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2018, 06:01:54 PM »
I'm neutral on cargo pants.  I wear them when I'm doing some home repair project.  They're perfect for that.  But I really don't wear them out much, unless it's a hot day and I'm going to Home Depot or something.  

Actually I don't wear shorts much at all.  See above comment about being married into a family run by Latinas.  It's a cultural thing.  Guys don't often wear shorts in Argentina (and probably in most of L.Am. but I can only vouch for Arg), unless they're engaged in a sports activity or are at the beach etc. So, I just wear loose pants, and avoid living in hot climates, and yeah, I do play a lot of sports.

I wear shorts when I'm doing something athletic. Otherwise, I've discovered the fun of linen pants. They're not as hot as jeans, and not as stuffy as dress pants.
They're like wearing pajama pants to a dress up function, but since they haven't caught on yet as a trend, I can get away with it and just look like I'm ahead of the style curve. Since most guys my age are wearing the waistband of their pants around their top-thigh/lower buttock region, no one really focuses on my beach wear.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2018, 06:03:43 PM »
they drive and handle like crap as well

so do most crossovers or SUVs or whatever you call them

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.