header pic

The B12 (XII) Forum, home of the 'Front Porch, y'all' at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Horns vs Terps

(Read 7946 times)

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
Re: Horns vs Terps
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2018, 02:14:15 PM »
I am speechless at how bad this Texas team looks today.    :'(
Yes. They looked really bad early on but I’m glad I wasn’t the first Texas fan to bitch about it.  Looks like the game isn’t over yet.

TexasFan

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2018, 04:06:11 PM »
They did not look good.  I won't sugar coat it.   Yet we are still in the game beginning of the fourth quarter.  

longhorn320

• Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2018, 05:38:36 PM »
I'll take this years team over last years team
They won't let me give blood anymore. The burnt orange color scares the hell out of the doctors.

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2018, 05:40:55 PM »
Props to Maryland.

What a disappointing loss.  Could be another brutal season.  Not sure the coaching staff is near as smart as they think they are.  I'm still not a fan of Ehlinger.  The kid has a great story.  He's overcome a lot.  I'd love for him to succeed.  Just doesn't seem like he's ready to become a smart, high percentage passer.

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2018, 06:26:59 PM »
Del Conte owes Herman nothing.  And I am thankful for that.

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2018, 11:49:48 PM »
Swept by Maryland(!) in a home and home??

Jeez.  I’m beginning to think the ECFGs really do exist, and Texas must have po’d ‘em mighty bad

Anyway condolences Horns fans.  That must have been painful 

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2018, 01:36:02 PM »

UT-Erin03

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2018, 09:51:42 AM »
I'm nowhere close to being a qualified coach, but there was absolutely a bunch of BS playcalling in that game.  And not the funny kind of Bevo Crap that is well timed in a particular opponent's endzone, but the kind that should have been disposed of well before the opening game of the season. 
How embarrassing.  

But an early loss is a good way to minimize those expectations in hopes we can only go up from here.   This team did not play smart, and they have a lot of work to do.  Weakness exposed, and many dumb mistakes were made, but it's always better to learn this early and reassess all parts of the problem here. 

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2018, 12:56:11 PM »
But an early loss is a good way to minimize those expectations in hopes we can only go up from here....   
I love you Erin but if you're going to go all Pollyanna on us, screw you.

We don't have to put up with your optimism.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2018, 01:40:12 PM »
Just brutal.

Is it college baseball season yet?

Mr Tulip

• Learn to love or leave me. Either one you wanna do.
  • Player
  • Non Serviam
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2018, 01:57:03 PM »
It was obvious the coaches didn't believe in their own running game early on. Texas can run the ball inside this season, and that's gonna help a lot. They didn't trust that ability, which led to 20 minutes of dead offense.

Defensively, this was the wrong game to wonder who's playing LB and boundary CB - yet that's exactly what happened when Gary Johnson got tossed for targeting and Devante Davis stung his neck. Both of those positions are responsible for managing the "jet sweep" action that Maryland fell in love with.

The defense still did everything it needed to do, then let drives continue on penalties. Then the 20 yard punts started. Even after all this, Maryland looked to die in the afternoon heat and sun, something Texas could easily handle.

Cue the rain. Let's stop the game for 90 minutes, cool everything off, and let the Terps reload.

Texas should be good enough not to lose to Maryland when a few bad beats happen. This still goes down as  0-1 the same way a 50 point rout does. However, in reality, this team is several rough edges away from being a power.

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2018, 04:16:12 PM »
Fans are so offense centric nowadays.

Clue to the modern fan - Maryland scored 34 points.  You will lose most of the time when you give up 34.

Yes I know Sam couldn't be the Roger Staubach comeback hero that we all expect.  Or even Case McCoy.  But did I mention - Maryland scored 34.  Running jet sweeps for infinity.  Receivers coasting thru the open abyss.  This game was lost in the first half.

By the defense.

No wonder these young wonder boy coaches are vaulted from 2-bit programs that hang 60+ per game, without a semblance of defensive competence.  Like TOM HERMAN.

And notwithstanding his youthful arrogance, our boy Tom finds himself ensconced in a little Urban Meyer tittie bar drama on the side.  I hardly believe that Ohio State gives two sheets about young Mr. Herman, unless indeed he did instigate what he denies.

Texas will stumble itself into a competent, well-rounded football coach eventually.  The money dictates it.  Del Conte is a good one to have at the helm.

The era of the offensive head coach has primed the coaching carousel.  They're in and out, while it seems the defensive guys hold steady.  Gary Patterson.  How in hades is TCU a winner?  Oh yeah, defense.

We should have stepped aside and let LSU take Herman.  Perhaps a wiser AD would have.  But our interim AD went with the fever and fervor of the fans, and we snatched up the next coach that was built by UH quarterbacks.  (Ok, so Briles worked out, but Sumlin didn't...)

Anyway, Texas started this game asleep.  Maryland came out ballin'.  No, Sam is not the next Colt.  But Colt had more talent around him, including OL.

But defense really concerns me.  We lost some major contributors last year.  This could get ugly.  All Herman will do is scratch his head and wonder why we can't score 70 per game like Houston did in that Pop Warner league.  He's not gonna fix a defense.

Charlie only got 3 years.  This means Tom only gets 3 at most, unless he cracks the 10-win threshold next year.  Plus, I'm not Del Conte - but I sense that Herman is high maintenance as a personality.  But that's just me.

Maryland scored 34 people.

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2018, 04:19:59 PM »
I'm nowhere close to being a qualified coach, but there was absolutely a bunch of BS playcalling in that game.

Texas defense should have called the "no touchdown" play.

Ok, I'll let it go.  She's a girl.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2018, 05:02:45 PM »
Good heavens, T95 is actually right about something for once! ;)

The defense lost this game.  The defense lost the last Maryland game, too.  

I don't think we have a single starter on defense that would have cracked the 2-deep of the 2005 team.

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.