header pic

The B12 (XII) Forum, home of the 'Front Porch, y'all' at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Evil Songs

(Read 12408 times)

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
Re: Evil Songs
« Reply #56 on: August 16, 2018, 08:32:32 PM »

MikeDeTiger

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2018, 08:37:35 PM »
I've always suspected people who liked the "classic" Doobie Bros. probably hated Michael  McDonald.  I've never seen one guy so radically change a band.  Ever.  They went from a folksy kinda pop-rock to basically an R&B fusion band that sounded exactly like MM's early solo material.  For better or for worse, depending on your preference (doesn't matter to me, I like both versions), McDonald bitch-slapped that band and re-made them in his image.  

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: August 16, 2018, 09:43:39 PM »
Riiiiiiide, Run my last race, take my place, it's for free.....

Or something like that.  Got that one hung in the old noggin for weeks, but actually enjoyed it being there.

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2018, 10:17:39 AM »
One song that has been so overused in commercials that it just needs to be banned for about 21 years is American Authors’ ‘Best Day of My Life.’

Li-ai-ife my li-ai-ai-ai-ai-ife

Just. Stop.

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #60 on: August 17, 2018, 11:54:59 AM »
One song that has been so overused in commercials that it just needs to be banned for about 21 years.....

We all probably hear the first 30 seconds of Born To Be Wild at least twice a day.

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: August 17, 2018, 12:20:07 PM »
Even though this is off the topic of the thread, it's still the closest thing to a music thread we have.

So, head bowed out of respect for the passage of the Queen of Soul, Aretha Franklin.

My dear wife's favorite music genre is R&B, and she particularly likes female singers with a big voice and heavy pathos, like Etta James, Bessie Smith, Mercedes Sosa, etc ... and for sure Aretha.  All week we've been listening to her songs like Natural Woman, Say a Little Prayer, RESPECT, etc.  Also we downloaded and watched the Blue Brothers and her classic diner scene with the song Think! on the eve of her passing.  It was my son's first time seeing the Blues Bros, and of course he loved it.

RIP Aretha

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: August 17, 2018, 03:41:28 PM »
...and without MATT GUITAR MURPHY.

RIP Aretha.

MikeDeTiger

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: August 17, 2018, 06:17:35 PM »
Even though this is off the topic of the thread, it's still the closest thing to a music thread we have.

So, head bowed out of respect for the passage of the Queen of Soul, Aretha Franklin.

My dear wife's favorite music genre is R&B, and she particularly likes female singers with a big voice and heavy pathos, like Etta James, Bessie Smith, Mercedes Sosa, etc ... and for sure Aretha.  All week we've been listening to her songs like Natural Woman, Say a Little Prayer, RESPECT, etc.  Also we downloaded and watched the Blue Brothers and her classic diner scene with the song Think! on the eve of her passing.  It was my son's first time seeing the Blues Bros, and of course he loved it.

RIP Aretha
Yep, we lost another great one.  
A track that I particularly always loved of hers that your wife may not have heard, but might be interested in, is Aretha's "newer" version of "Somewhere."  I say newer, this still comes from '95 or '96.  I'm pretty sure she had recorded this song much earlier in her career, but I have to say I like this one even better.  The link says this was unreleased, but that's not true.  It's from a compilation album called "Songs of the West Side Story."  Phil Collins actually does the same song on that album, and both his and Aretha's versions are great in their own way.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYbDvGnDBlM

MarqHusker

• Team Captain
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: September 05, 2018, 11:45:06 PM »
Well then, my friend, you like Yacht Rock.

Congratulations! ;)

You know there's a Yacht Rock touring band?  They're quite good actually.   My wife and I went to a show here in Indy this summer.  Great show on a lawn pavilion.  Bring your own chairs, picnic/booze, etc.  Most of the founders are IU alum.   The crowd is what you would imagine.  98% white,  35-80. 

MarqHusker

• Team Captain
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: September 05, 2018, 11:59:04 PM »
I recently heard somebody opine that Michael McDonald is the only guy that aged 40 years instantly (in his young 20s,) and has managed to look the same ever since.   Yes, that beard is a must.   I've also heard people express surprise to find out that he's a white guy.  Rick Astley had that problem too.

Which reminds me,  'Together Forever' is one of those songs that nearly led me to commit crimes as a youth.   No song though generates more disgust to me than BTO's 'Takin Care of Business'.  The vocalist sounds like he's got a mouth full of novocaine.  I once read that Bachman or whoever wrote the song, pitched the song when he was a part of The Guess Who, who said 'not interested'.   Speaking of which, nobody better speak ill of 'These Eyes.'

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: September 06, 2018, 02:48:09 PM »
Speaking of which, nobody better speak ill of 'These Eyes.'

"These Eyes" is a great mood song.  I caught it on youtube the other day.

Some nights I lay in bed scrolling youtube with no particular purpose.  One of my faves is to listen to songs I haven't heard in awhile.  Remember "Chevy Van"?  I listened to that one last night.  Ah, memories.

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.