header pic

Perhaps the BEST B1G Forum anywhere, here at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: ~2018 NFL Thread~

(Read 41371 times)

Mdot21

• Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
Re: ~2018 NFL Thread~
« Reply #112 on: September 21, 2018, 12:31:54 PM »
Very accurate. Very magical night in Cleveland. Since 1995, it's never really felt like the Browns were here. Last night, it felt like Cleveland got the Browns back.
Hue Jackson came off looking like a clown to me in Hard Knocks. Really don't think he's the guy for that job. He just comes off like a total clown. That was probably a bit of an over-reaction on my part calling the staff the worst in football, because Todd Haley and Greg Williams are damn fine co-ordinators. I think Hue Jackson pretty much sucks though.
It's clear as day to anybody with a set of eyeballs that Mayfield as a rookie is far superior to Tyrod Taylor. Taylor has never been anything but mediocre in his 8 year NFL career. He's an average NFL QB. Not trying to slam him, it's just the truth. I really believe they are 3-0 with Mayfield in either of those games. The Steelers defense sucks with a capital S. Baker would've made more big plays against them. Think he would've made more plays against the Saints too. The game wouldn't have come down to having to rely on a kicker to win either game if Baker is the stater imo.

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #113 on: September 21, 2018, 12:52:21 PM »
Are the Browns maximizing Peppers this season, or is he still 20+ yards off the LOS?
Last year he looked like a guy who made it this far just by being the most athletic guy on the field, and didn't know what to do now that he no longer was.  PFF graded him as the worst 1st round pick last year.  This year it looks like he's spent some time in the film room, and looks like a football player, not an athlete playing football.  I still think he has a chance at a good career.

SuperMario

• Starter
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #114 on: September 21, 2018, 02:06:06 PM »
If the Browns win a football game on Thursday Night Football, does it make a sound?
<br /><br />
I wasn't downtown, but apparently it was a wild night and a sight to see. It made a sound. Baker coming at the exact time that Lebron left is a perfect storm. This has always been a football town. If Baker is the real deal, it's going to be a wild ride.

Anonymous Coward

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #115 on: September 21, 2018, 02:21:34 PM »
Last year he looked like a guy who made it this far just by being the most athletic guy on the field, and didn't know what to do now that he no longer was.  PFF graded him as the worst 1st round pick last year.  This year it looks like he's spent some time in the film room, and looks like a football player, not an athlete playing football.  I still think he has a chance at a good career.
I know. But he was severely out of position. He was never a safety. He's a hybrid space player. If a defense doesn't use a HSP, then he's a linebacker. Making him a safety is an assinine waste of dollars, time and talent. And, if you're going to make him rove as a safety, at least keep him within 8 yards of the LOS. That's the only place he belongs -- not versatile, but that one thing, he can be All Pro at it.
Just let him defend screens and the run and he'll be a gem. Or trade him.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 02:28:04 PM by Anonymous Coward »

Anonymous Coward

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #116 on: September 21, 2018, 02:25:55 PM »
They're keeping him closer to the line more often than not, but still some plays have him 20 yards off, which makes no sense.
I still don't think he's a great punt returner. Even at Michigan, he had a tendency to call a fair catch when he had plenty of room. He's done that a few times this season as well.
I think one of the most valuable thing a punt returner can do is have the courage to run up and fair catch the really challenging punts to field ... rather than let the ball bounce for 10-25 yards. Peppers was better at that than any PR i've seen at Michigan. And it's a way underrated skill, IMHumbleO.

Mdot21

• Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #117 on: September 21, 2018, 02:28:13 PM »
Last year he looked like a guy who made it this far just by being the most athletic guy on the field, and didn't know what to do now that he no longer was.  PFF graded him as the worst 1st round pick last year.  This year it looks like he's spent some time in the film room, and looks like a football player, not an athlete playing football.  I still think he has a chance at a good career.
PFF had him graded the first two games as the Browns' highest graded defensive player. Don't know what his grade was week 3 but first two weeks it was great. With Greg Williams, he's got a chance at a great career. His athleticism is off the charts. He's a legit 5'11, 215 pounds with legit 4.4 speed. Sky is the limit with him. He hasn't played a lot of football. Remember his first year at Michigan in 2014 he got hurt in the first game never played again all year. And then in 2015 and 2016 the new Michigan coaches bounced him around from corner to safety to nickel to linebacker/viper and they also played him on offense and special teams. He didn't really get a chance to stick at one position and just develop. He also only started maybe 24 games of college ball.
Peppers will be a great one before it's all said and done. Got no doubt about it. He's a worker and he's an athletic freak.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #118 on: September 21, 2018, 02:29:23 PM »
why a LB instead of a safety?

not fast enough, can't cover a WR one on one?

at 5'11" and 213lbs he's a bit small for an NFL LB
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

Anonymous Coward

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #119 on: September 21, 2018, 02:43:16 PM »
why a LB instead of a safety?

not fast enough, can't cover a WR one on one?

at 5'11" and 213lbs he's a bit small for an NFL LB
He was meh in coverage at Michigan. He's a death merchant against the run or bubble screens, though. TFL, TFL, gain of 1 yard, TFL. He belongs near the LOS on every down.

Definitely undersized for a classic LB. But taking on blocks doesn't have to be his game, because he's usually not blockable. Still, size matters, and that's why he's a:   HSP > OLB >>>>>>>>> S
The Browns have him at S.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 02:45:30 PM by Anonymous Coward »

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #120 on: September 21, 2018, 02:47:14 PM »
thanks

I don't watch the Browns much.

Had golf league last night
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

SuperMario

• Starter
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #121 on: September 21, 2018, 08:24:45 PM »
I think one of the most valuable thing a punt returner can do is have the courage to run up and fair catch the really challenging punts to field ... rather than let the ball bounce for 10-25 yards. Peppers was better at that than any PR i've seen at Michigan. And it's a way underrated skill, IMHumbleO.
Best PR at michigan? That can’t be a serious statement.

Mdot21

• Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #122 on: September 21, 2018, 10:40:41 PM »
yeah he doesn't even come close to Breaston. Like remotely.

Anonymous Coward

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #123 on: September 22, 2018, 02:09:09 AM »
I didn't say he was best overall. I said he was best at this one overlooked thing which I think is very valuable.
Fielding challenging punts is rare and important. Letting the ball bounce those extra 15 yards sucks.

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #124 on: September 22, 2018, 09:34:33 AM »
yeah he doesn't even come close to Breaston. Like remotely.
Or the pose.
I will say my one gripe for a while was the inability after Desmond to find a good one. They were pretty lousy from him until Breaston showed up.  I think Baraka would have been good if he wasn't such a screw-up

SuperMario

• Starter
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #125 on: September 22, 2018, 09:44:33 AM »
I didn't say he was best overall. I said he was best at this one overlooked thing which I think is very valuable.
Fielding challenging punts is rare and important. Letting the ball bounce those extra 15 yards sucks.
I can’t say that I agree. The only thing peppers does well at PR is catch the ball and I can think of numerous occasions he let the ball bounce when he shouldn’t have at Michigan.
I can think of a half dozen PR I’d rather have back there for any skill, including catching the ball. Breaston, Desmond, Carter, Alexander, Woodson. I like Peppers, but he doesn’t sniff top anything at the position for me.

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.