header pic

The B12 (XII) Forum, home of the 'Front Porch, y'all' at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Sympathy for the Devil?

(Read 10419 times)

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
Re: Sympathy for the Devil?
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2018, 10:05:41 AM »
Everything we talk about here in Big XII land is about Ohio State and every post is just an allegory.  We can't stop thinking about Ohio State we're obsessed.

So to make that illustration, I'm going to mention a few more noteworthy villains.  

Hans Gruber in Die Hard - I can't say I liked him or rooted for him but he possessed this certain smug je ne sais quoi that made me delight in his suffering

Samuel L Jackson in just about anything by Quenton Tarrantino - I love Samuel L Jackson.  I relate to Samuel L Jackson.  I identify with Samuel L Jackson.  When I see Samuel L Jackson in anything from a movie to a Citicard commercial a little child inside me jumps up and down and screams, "Hey!  There's Samuel L Jackson."  So when Quenton Tarrantino puts him in a role as a character with no redeeming values, I'm conflicted.  I'm like "I can't believe he's such a hateful, abusive, demeaning, unrepentant jerk."  And yet, I watch him with a grin on my face and I enjoy every line he utters.  I don't root for him - especially when he's mean to Kerry Washington or Bridget Fonda, but I still find him utterly entertaining.

And Denzel in Training Day.  Are you kidding me?  Denzel is like Tom Hanks.  He's a nice guy.  What the heck was he doing in Training Day?  Even in the final moments I kept thinking he was actually a good cop pretending to be a bad cop.   Come on.  It's Denzel!  How could they do that to us?

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2018, 10:08:48 AM »
Speaking of Sam Jackson, he was also a fantastic, over-the-top villain in "Kingsman: The Secret Service."  Not a Tarantino joint, but similar in some ways.

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2018, 10:23:05 AM »
Speaking of Sam Jackson, he was also a fantastic, over-the-top villain in "Kingsman: The Secret Service."  Not a Tarantino joint, but similar in some ways.

I've heard other good things about that movie.
I'll have to look for it on Amos' snazzy life changing link.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2018, 10:30:25 AM »
I'd recommend it, it was a lot of fun.

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2018, 02:14:48 PM »
I binged on the Sopranos while a member of my immediate family was experiencing a period of terrible health and in the hospital for a month, which I don't want to go into here.  I find myself watching really weird and violent shows like Walking Dead and Lost and Sopranos when things are particularly worrisome in my life.  Not sure of the psychology there, but it is what it is.  Maybe it's my own inner Bengal tiger (if you've read Life of Pi) trying to cope.  It's one of those shows that I'm glad I watched, and I'm also more than glad to never watch again.
Anyway, I never got to the point of actually liking Tony Soprano like Drew.  I did feel for his family, who were caught up in his madness, and loved him even in spite of his many flaws.  But he was completely deranged, in a somewhat charming way, but ultimately just deranged and completely loathsome in my book.  I've later found out that his mental illness is something called "borderline" which has a heavy dose of narcissism in it but also manifests in violent mood swings and paranoia and a complete lack of empathy, and in the story his mother had it too, and probably passed it on to him via both nature and "nurture".
One thing though - the final episode of the Sopranos was full on genius.  I won't spoil it for anyone like JCG who might end up watching it, but I'll just say that if you last through all the grotesque violence and madness of the earlier seasons, all six of them, make sure you stay until the end, and don't let anyone spoil it for you.  It's one of the greatest endings in the history of television, if not the greatest.  And listening to Journey (not a group I care much for, with the exception of Neal Schon's guitar playing, but they're everywhere like Musak, so it's unavoidable) will never be the same.
Oh, and last I looked it's on Amazon Prime.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2018, 03:26:54 PM »
I'm just going to say it-- I didn't like The Sopranos.  I tried watching it with my i s c & a aggie wife for about a half a season, and I really didn't like it.  

I don't like that meth show either, don't remember its name but everyone raved about it.  I watched a couple episodes and just turned it off.

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2018, 03:33:49 PM »
Breaking Bad.  Same here.  I watched maybe two shows, but it concerns a topic (cancer, not the drugs) that's too close to home.  So, that was it for me.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2018, 03:43:52 PM »
I don't even watch a couple episodes of some new show that people tell me is worth watching

because it's not
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2018, 03:49:52 PM »
I really can't get into plots/storylines with anti-heros as the main characters. That includes most mob shows, and shows about thieves and drug dealers and whatnot.  I can't detach my judgment from them, so I can never empathize.  In the rare cases when I find myself watching one of those, I will typically root for the mobster/criminal/thief to die a horrible, grisly death.  

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2018, 03:58:46 PM »
Like Negan from the WD.  He has a lot of appeal to some.  One of my Texas in-laws (this is the wife of my sister-in-law's brother) thinks he's such a hunk that she's named her pickup truck Lucile.  If you know the WD, you know what I mean, if you don't well, I won't be a spoiler.

Negan is really really bad news though.  I'm more in the "die a grisly death" camp for that dude ...

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2018, 04:05:27 PM »
I've watched some of that show, again because the i s c & a aggie wife likes it.  I don't find it all that compelling, but I do know who Negan is and I think he does an excellent job of making you hate him.  I'm a big fan of the actor, Jeffrey Dean Morgan, he's quite effective.

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2018, 05:06:47 PM »

Hot diggity dog!

It's the first episode of season 7 that cements him as one of the truly all-time bad hombres out there.

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2018, 06:21:17 PM »
Btw, if you put a GB helmet on him, and he's Aaron Rogers ...

MikeDeTiger

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2018, 06:22:07 PM »
Maybe it's my own inner Bengal tiger (if you've read Life of Pi) trying to cope. 
I knew it!  Welcome aboard.  It's okay to admit that we are your second favorite team.  We're everybody's second favorite team, except for the people for whom we're their actual favorite team.  

Haven't watched The Sopranos yet, but I know about the ending, too much time has gone by and too much has been said about it.  Most people I know who watched it were really pissed off by it.  I probably would've been too if I had that much time invested in a story.  

I like a lot of shows on FX and AMC, many of  the same ones utee94 does not like.  I like some stuff on BBCA too.  I really like Sherlock, and I wish they did more than 3 episodes every few years.  

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.