header pic

Perhaps the BEST B1G Forum anywhere, here at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Weakness of certain B1G teams

(Read 7654 times)

Big Beef Tacosupreme

• Player
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
Weakness of certain B1G teams
« on: August 23, 2017, 01:46:46 PM »
So enough of the "haven't played a single game yet" optimism.  I figured I'd start a thread for the "glass is half empty" crowd.

For Penn State:  Linebacker depth is still a huge concern.  Penn State played 3 games when down a significant number of starting linebackers.  Pitt (42 points allowed), Michigan (49 points), and USC (52 points). 

Cabinda is back, and should be solid.  Manny Bowen is average.  Koa Farmer was a safety playing linebacker last year, and has now bulked up to be a linebacker full time.  Brandon Smith (walk on) played admirably last year filling in for injured players.  Beyond these 4 players (which is a below average B1G LB unit, IMO), is pool of true freshman and walk on players. 

For Ohio State:  I had the opportunity to download and watch some OSU games.  It was absolutely stunning to see how much of the offense went through Curtis Samuel.   Now he's gone. 

The offensive line looked average, and the wide receivers (outside of Samuel) weren't exactly great.  JT Barrett is amazing at extending the play and getting yards with his feet, but he really struggled to find open guys.   Weber is OK, but there's probably 5 better backs in the league.

For all of the recruiting stars Ohio State has, I'm actually shocked at how average their offense really looks.  Granted, maybe a lot of their problems will be fixed with the new offensive coordinator. 

Let's hear some of yours.  I've got more I'll add later.

Mdot21

• Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
Re: Weakness of certain B1G teams
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 01:53:00 PM »
Michigan - for sure a young secondary on defense and young WR corps on offense. Those are the two biggest concerns to me.

After that it's probably proven, viable DL depth. Starting 4 should be excellent, there is young talent there but it's untested. Need Lawrence Marshall to really step up this year as a JR and provide a spark off the bench. And also OL. That Grant Newsome knee injury really put a wrench in this seasons OL. Newsome was looking like a guy that was on the verge of being a star LT. Now he probably won't be back until next year and if he does comeback he might never be the same. OL is kinda shaky.

Entropy

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 02:01:34 PM »
Nebraska: WR depth.  UNL has lost basically 4 kids due to quitting, injury or dad pulling them off campus...  That leaves 4 scholarship WR's for the 2017 season.  OL youth is also a concern.  Appears the depth is better than years past and UNL won't be starting a center that is the size of most TE (only much shorter), but they'll be young too.  How will they hold up and how long will it take for them to grow up?

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 02:21:59 PM »
Depth is terrible across the board except at RB.  Pass rush (both DE and LB) looks to be as bad as last year.  I also worry greatly about the athleticism of our safeties.  I think they are experienced and sound enough, but that doesn't get you too far if you get matched up on a slot WR.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 02:48:13 PM »
agree with Entropy

I will add the D-Line as well.  Not suited for the 3-4 defense.  No true nose.  Also young and little depth.
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

Temp430

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 03:18:04 PM »
Michigan's "weaknesses" are better than the starters for most Big Ten teams.
A decade of Victory over Penn State.

All in since 1969

Mdot21

• Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 03:50:09 PM »

c'mon now, let's not go there, shall we?

There is a TON of talent on Michigan's roster. But it's young. It's going to take time to develop.

The saving grace is the schedule. Most of the games are at home and the OOC schedule is pretty light.

DL depth is definitely a real weakness. Lawrence Marshall is a JR who hasn't done squat and the rest of the guys are highly rated but they are all first or second year players. Takes a couple years for DL's to really develop.

CB and WR is LOADED with young talent, but those guys haven't played. They aren't going to come out of the gate playing like stars. It's going to take all of them time to adapt.

And OL is definitely a concern. The only saving grace there in my eyes is they have not one but TWO really good OL coaches in Frey and Drevno. Offensive tackle is a huge concern. They had to move Mason Cole to LT because of the injury to Newsome. With Newsome, the OL is probably a different story. Mason Cole can get by at LT, he's a startable LT, but he's not a future NFL player at LT. Newsome was looking like he was on that track to be the next one since Lewan to get serious NFL attention. OL is definitely a concern.

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2017, 04:51:23 PM »
Is this like saying "I care too much," in an interview where they ask you your biggest weakness.

grillrat

• Player
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2017, 04:53:34 PM »

Purdue:

Yes

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2017, 05:29:06 PM »

Mostly depth concerns for UW, except the WR position really, which has one proven player and a lot of question marks. The TE's will probably cover for a lot of catches this season.

Depth concerns include QB (critical), OL* (serious on the outside, fair in the middle), CB (fair) and S (fair).

All the other position are pretty stacked.

*There are some new kids in the OL room that are really good. Whether or not 'shirts need to get torched remains to be seen. If the starters stay healthy, lots of 'shirts will be saved.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

betarhoalphadelta

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2017, 05:42:09 PM »
Purdue:

Yes

LOL...

Purdue:
OL - I said earlier that Brohm calling them "average" excited me
WR - Lost everyone, relying on transfers, career backups, and frosh
DB - who knows?
DL - not sure the starters are B1G-level, and there's no depth
LB depth - starters are one of our strongest position groups - nobody behind them

If Brohm can get to 6 wins, he'd better win B1G COY. Maybe even national COY. That'd be a damn miracle.

MrNubbz

• Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2017, 09:49:14 PM »

For Ohio State:  I had the opportunity to download and watch some OSU games.  It was absolutely stunning to see how much of the offense went through Curtis Samuel.   Now he's gone. 

The offensive line looked average, and the wide receivers (outside of Samuel) weren't exactly great.  JT Barrett is amazing at extending the play and getting yards with his feet, but he really struggled to find open guys.   Weber is OK, but there's probably 5 better backs in the league.

For all of the recruiting stars Ohio State has, I'm actually shocked at how average their offense really looks.  Granted, maybe a lot of their problems will be fixed with the new offensive coordinator. 

Good observations and I agree.JTB will run into trouble with a stout defense that will force him to throw the long ball.Coaches will have to get creative with the QB depth.I certainly see PSU & M attempting to take away the short stuff.Barret will look good vs over matched opponents because he could tuck it and run.Last half vs PSU then games vs M & Clemson exposed it.Samuel & the defense dug OSU out in tight spots.The defense still can but if the offense can't stretch  the field it'll finish like last season IMO
Suburbia:Where they tear out the trees & then name streets after them.

integrinB4

• Walk On
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2017, 10:20:18 PM »
LOL...

Purdue:
OL - I said earlier that Brohm calling them "average" excited me
WR - Lost everyone, relying on transfers, career backups, and frosh
DB - who knows?
DL - not sure the starters are B1G-level, and there's no depth
LB depth - starters are one of our strongest position groups - nobody behind them

If Brohm can get to 6 wins, he'd better win B1G COY. Maybe even national COY. That'd be a damn miracle.

Agree with all this.  After reading about camp, I'd be happy if we win more than 1 game.  Roster is completely destroyed. 

Great 1st team LBs, nobody behind.  One injury throws this postion from strength to weakness
QB - maybe a strength, but can the OL protect them?  Can OL block for run game?  Can WR get open and catch?

nuwildcat

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2017, 11:16:05 PM »
For NU, depth is always a problem

If we lose starters to injury or fatigue, our backups are often inexperienced, wide-eyed young'uns

I do like our running back situation (there are some studs-in-waiting behind Justin Jackson) but the QBs backing up Clayton Thorson are meh at best

BTN peeps keep talking about our suspect O-Line ... hopefully that's improved 'cuz I believe Thorson was often either sacked or running for his life the last 2 years.

And given that our starting DBs have historically been burned on the long ball, I can't imagine how exposed that position will be if backups have to be inserted.

Finally (and this is probably true of most CFB teams), we tend to play up as well as down to the opponent

- unfortunately, this can and does lead to WTF losses to the Illinois States of the world  :41:
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 11:25:33 PM by nuwildcat »
NORTHWESTERN WILDCATS
Top-14 finish in the conference each year
Stellar 4-10 bowl record

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.