header pic

Perhaps the BEST B1G Forum anywhere, here at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: 2018-2019 B1G Basketball Thread

(Read 144174 times)

medinabuckeye1

• Legend
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
Re: 2018-2019 B1G BB Thread
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2018, 04:21:53 PM »
That makes sense.

So each football division has three teams with in-State rivals, and the other four teams will constitute the "regional" rivals.
I'm glad it made sense to you because I typed it and it barely made sense to me, LoL.  

PSUinNC

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2018, 10:08:46 AM »
Time for PSU to step up next year.  Be nice to see a good showing now in NYC.  If Carr comes back, PSU is in prime position to make a move in the conference.  Time to step up the non-con scheduling and play like it.  

HailHailMSP

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2018, 11:23:57 AM »
Will be curious if Carr, Bates-Diop, and Wagner are early entrant's? It could shape the outlook of the conference to some extent. The "always trustworthy" mock drafts have Bates-Diop and Carr as late first rounder's right now. Wagner is an early to mid 2nd rounder. I am a little surprised by Mo's projection. I see him a bit like I saw Kaminsky.

PSUinNC

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2018, 11:30:27 AM »
Will be curious if Carr, Bates-Diop, and Wagner are early entrant's? It could shape the outlook of the conference to some extent. The "always trustworthy" mock drafts have Bates-Diop and Carr as late first rounder's right now. Wagner is an early to mid 2nd rounder. I am a little surprised by Mo's projection. I see him a bit like I saw Kaminsky.
They'll all declare, but I have a feeling at least one or two wont' hire an agent and will eventually come back.  Carr and B-D are sure fire first rounders the following year if they come back and have good 18-19 years.  I'm not sure I think any are 'ready' for the Association yet; is it worth taking the risk of being a second rounder if you're that borderline?

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2018, 12:39:06 PM »
FWIW, NBADraft.net has all 3 going, Wagner late 1st, Carr with the first pick of the 2nd, and KBP early in the 2nd.

I don't like the whole "improve your stock" argument.  It doesn't happen any more often than your stock going down.  My thought is always, first round pick, then go.  You likely won't be any higher next year.  Bridges and Wagner both opted to return, and both are exactly where they would have been a year ago, except now with a year less of income in their careers.

PSUinNC

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2018, 12:59:41 PM »
FWIW, NBADraft.net has all 3 going, Wagner late 1st, Carr with the first pick of the 2nd, and KBP early in the 2nd.

I don't like the whole "improve your stock" argument.  It doesn't happen any more often than your stock going down.  My thought is always, first round pick, then go.  You likely won't be any higher next year.  Bridges and Wagner both opted to return, and both are exactly where they would have been a year ago, except now with a year less of income in their careers.
I think stock can absolutely go up and down depending on who else is in that draft vs the next one.  Carr's the 10th best PG at best in this draft, he might be a Top 5 guy next year.  

Agree if you're a sure 1st rounder, you go.  But PG's are hard to come by in that league and I think Carr could absolutely help himself with another year of strength conditioning, getting his body ready and have that guaranteed contract instead of the possibility of being a 2nd round, non guaranteed guy.

I think that's exactly why they put the system in place that allows them to scoot back to college in case they don't tear up the pre-draft combine (or camps or whatever) and they find out they are on the edge. 

Brutus Buckeye

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2018, 01:03:14 PM »
Mike Conley went from a projected 4 year player to a freshman lottery pick after one good Tourney run. 
1919, 20, 21, 28, 29, 31, 34, 35, 36, 37, 42, 44
WWH: 1952, 54, 55, 57, 58, 60, 61, 62, 63, 65, 67, 68, 70, 72, 74, 75
1979, 81, 82, 84, 87, 94, 98
2001, 02, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2018, 01:48:43 PM »
I think stock can absolutely go up and down depending on who else is in that draft vs the next one.  Carr's the 10th best PG at best in this draft, he might be a Top 5 guy next year.  

Agree if you're a sure 1st rounder, you go.  But PG's are hard to come by in that league and I think Carr could absolutely help himself with another year of strength conditioning, getting his body ready and have that guaranteed contract instead of the possibility of being a 2nd round, non guaranteed guy.

I think that's exactly why they put the system in place that allows them to scoot back to college in case they don't tear up the pre-draft combine (or camps or whatever) and they find out they are on the edge.
I'm not saying you can't.  I'm just saying I've seen no evidence that you are any more likely to move up than you are to move down.  Football makes sense a lot of time, a year more strength, a year more technique.  The NBA just draft off potential.  They'd almost prefer you not be a year older.  If you want to go back, go back.  But if it's because you want to improve your draft stock, meh.  And the whole "next years class is weaker" line is used every single year.  Because it's a sport where guys go from high schoolers that most people have never heard of, to lottery picks in a year.  So next year's class always looks weaker, because you have no idea who anyone is.  Everyone was saying last year that the 2017 Draft was loaded, but 2018 was weak, so Bridges would move from 10-12 into top 3-5 just based on who he was up against.  Now this looks like one of the better drafts in recent years.

medinabuckeye1

• Legend
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2018, 02:19:36 PM »
Looking at Ohio State next year:

Tate, Dakich, and Williams are Seniors so they are definitely gone:
  • Tate averaged 12.3 points, 6.2 boards, and 2.9 assists in just under 30 minutes per game.  
  • Dakich averaged 3 points, 1.8 boards, and 2.1 assists in 19 minutes per game.  
  • Williams averaged 9 points, 2.1 boards, and 0.8 assists in just under 24 minutes per game.  
  • Combined they averaged 24.3 points, 10.1 boards, and 5.8 assists in about 73 minutes per game.  

My gut feel is that Tate's, Dakich's, and Williams' contributions can be more than made up for with typical year-over-year improvement from the younger guys and freshman contributions.  Thus, if KBD comes back I expect the team to improve at least slightly and I would view anything less than a S16 as a disappointment.  

On the other hand, if KBD leaves then the team will need to replace a total of about 44.1 points, 18.8 boards, and 7.4 assists in about 106 minutes per game and I doubt that will be possible.  Without KBD I expect a drop-off and my goal would simply be to make the tournament.  

HailHailMSP

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2018, 02:21:18 PM »
It’s rare to see guys move up these days. The NBA draft is picking so much on potential that if you stay for another year or two and fall off that perceived progression forecast you will slide or stay flat. For any of the three mentioned if a 1st round grade is likely its hard to see them improving on that in any significant way with another year. 

If you want to do it because you like college and want to take another run at a conference or tournament championship that is fine, but the eyes better be open to lost earning potential. 

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2018, 02:35:00 PM »
It’s rare to see guys move up these days. The NBA draft is picking so much on potential that if you stay for another year or two and fall off that perceived progression forecast you will slide or stay flat. For any of the three mentioned if a 1st round grade is likely its hard to see them improving on that in any significant way with another year.

If you want to do it because you like college and want to take another run at a conference or tournament championship that is fine, but the eyes better be open to lost earning potential.
Exactly

Entropy

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2018, 03:24:09 PM »
Miles either had or is having a 1x1 with the AD to outline his 5 year plan...  I guess we will see what happens after that meeting.   I was in Lincoln the past few days and the locals seem convinced UNL is going to lose at least 2 players.   UNL will need more talent transfers to remain relevant. 

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:

PSUinNC

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2018, 09:05:40 AM »
Bates-Diop going pro

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22916723/ohio-state-buckeyes-forward-keita-bates-diop-enter-nba-draft
Assume with an agent?
Didn't realize he's 22.  No way on earth he should come back.  

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.