header pic

The B12 (XII) Forum, home of the 'Front Porch, y'all' at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Big 12 Sports Commentary

(Read 19006 times)

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
Re: Big 12 Sports Commentary
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2018, 11:31:59 AM »
Don't worry, Junior.  My sons wouldn't want to have anything to do with a 10 year old girl.   

But give her another decade to grow up and even Frankie and I will offer to buy her a drink.

Course she probably won't be anywhere where we can.   I'm serious she's probably much more likely to be president or cure cancer than end up at the Rose.  But it still boggles my mind that she likes dance because I knew young ladies who made $600 a night at the Rose 25 years ago.   Lord knows my kids weren't learning the skills to make a lucrative fall back income when they were 10 years old.  

Heck, one of my kids isn't even making a lucrative primary income at 22.   He has the education and skills to go in one of many directions but right now he's intrigued by the noble if stupid idea of working hard and living poor all of his life.

Oh well.  All you can do is provide them with ample options.  What they choose to do with those options is up to them.

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2018, 11:39:05 AM »
So I telework on Thursdays and one of the pleasures it affords me is the opportunity to drive my youngest to school.  He's 14 and in 8th grade.   Today we were in the queue behind a car with Cali plates.   Last time I drove him we were in queue behind a car with Pennsylvania plates.  The time before that someone with Oregon plates was dropping off their kid.

When I moved out here 22 years ago it was a small town outside of Austin with 2500 residents.  Now it's an integrated part of the Austin metro area with a population of over 70,000.

Very few of us lived here a decade ago.  Heck it seems like very few of us were here last month.

Not to get political but I'd be a whole lot more enthusiastic about a wall if it protected Texas from the rest of the US instead of Mexico.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2018, 12:22:50 PM »

Not to get political but I'd be a whole lot more enthusiastic about a wall if it protected Texas from the rest of the US instead of Mexico.

that's your governor's job, not Donald's
maybe you could get the county or counties to build a wall around Austin
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2018, 12:38:47 PM »
I've said for the past two years that I'd support a Wall at the Red River.  That's where it really needs to be.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2018, 01:55:24 PM »
you may want to warn your buddies in Utah..................

Population growth in much of Utah now tops the nation, thanks to newcomers drawn by its strong economy, according to U.S. Census estimates released Thursday.

Major findings in the new data include:

• St. George is now America’s fastest-growing metropolitan area — and Provo-Orem isn’t far behind at No. 8.

• For the second year in a row, Heber ranks No. 1 for growth among the country’s smaller “micropolitan areas,” with populations between 10,000 and 50,000.

• Among the nation’s larger counties (with at least 10,000 residents), three in Utah are among the Top 10 fastest-growing and they all ring the Wasatch Front: Wasatch at No. 3; Tooele is No. 7; and Morgan is No. 8.

"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2018, 02:36:31 PM »
I've said for the past two years that I'd support a Wall at the Red River.  That's where it really needs to be.
I think most Oklahomans would support that, and of course, Texas would pay for it.  It would go along the south shore, which is where the state boundary is, and so of course the Red River would be even more clearly ours, as it always has been.
And if you have any argument about that, you'll first have to explain why it's not called the Orange River.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2018, 05:20:02 PM »
I think most Oklahomans would support that, and of course, Texas would pay for it.  It would go along the south shore, which is where the state boundary is, and so of course the Red River would be even more clearly ours, as it always has been.
And if you have any argument about that, you'll first have to explain why it's not called the Orange River.
Lulz.  Sure, and then when Oklahoma can no longer buy Texas recruits, your football program will be exactly where it always should have been.  Underground. 

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2018, 07:03:36 PM »
Actually considering how much y'all suck these days, you're probably gonna build the wall, and pay for it, just to keep your recruits from going elsewhere, and that includes more than just OU.  

So, you'd better start looking at all your borders not just the Red for that, coz most highly sought recruits know how to leave the state via crossing the Sabine or that great western expanse of nothing that borders NM.  And some will just end up in OU anyhow.  

Yep, you're gonna need that wall, and fully surround yourself.  To keep 'em in.  

And then you can go insular and restart the SW conference and play each other in that meaningless myopic Texas style circular firing squad, just like the olden days.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 07:06:44 PM by CousinFreddie »

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2018, 07:07:39 PM »
SWC was a gazillion times better than the Big 2 Tiny 6.

#truth
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 07:09:18 PM by utee94 »

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2018, 08:48:06 PM »
a gazillion!  Wow!

Hmm, let's see ... since a big chunk (half I believe) of the SWC joined up with the Big 8 to make the Big 12, I guess that woulda meant that the rate of OU's conference titles per decade musta dropped off by at least half a gazilion times

I'll have to look that up, and compute it when I get a chance.  You may be right.  In the meantime, I'll let you enjoy the glow of your gazillion, considerate cousin that I am :72:

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2018, 10:06:30 AM »
At the risk of jinxing everyone and everything, I wish to profess my intention to be an unabashed conference rooter/puller.  I think it would be kind of cool if the Big 12 had half the field in the Elite Eight.  

Well, Junior, looks like the Sunday game may be my best chance to get down to the Disch.  The missus has made dinner plans for tonight and tomorrow.

Now those who do not live in the LCP may say how can dinner plans keep you away from a 2:30 game but you, Mr. Junior, I know you know what it's like out on the Northwest Frontier.  

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2018, 10:40:48 AM »
I've always rooted for the Jayhawks and the Purple Cats in hoops.

After a Sunday morning near visit with Huggy Bear in the Little Apple with SkiCat, Forever, and Uncle Skeeter I've followed and rooted for Huggy's teams.  Just enjoy watching hard pressing full court defense.  (similar to the 40 minutes of hell that was played at Arkansas back in the day)

The only connection with Tech has been the short time the General was there.  But, I was a fan of Bobby and his coaching style.

so, yes, I'm rooting for the Big 12

besides, y'all know my disdain for Michigan and no one roots for Duke.

Although my Husker tailgate partner got a picture with Coach K yesterday in Omaha

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2018, 11:30:02 AM »
Well, I'm generally ambivalent when it comes to Big 12 teams cause I can generally find just as many reasons to hate them as to like them, but ain't that just they way it is.

Whether we choose to go through life pissed or grateful life will give us ample justification for both.

Alas, only one of those choice can lead to joy.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: March 23, 2018, 12:39:58 PM »
and delight, as Shiner would rather not hear

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.